Any Magnepan fans amongst us -?

richieb

Owning yet another speaker is about as practical as sprouting a third arm but variety as they say is the spice of life, particularly in the hifi hobby. Owned 1.6 and mg12 some years ago but never in the "correct" room to allow them to breath a bit. I have the room now and shouldered up next to the KHorns might be a an opportunity to really hear the difference in speaker design/theory.

• Like 1

Acoustic music sounds great on the Maggies. However, my wife and I couldn't get past the fact that when a drum hit, they sounded as flat as they look. I had Martin Logans for a while which have the hybrid design so you get the kick of a woofer with the panel. (Electrostatic instead of planar/ribbon but the sound is similar in a lot of respects.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recollection of Maggies is that they sound very good if you stay in the sweet spot.  The highs seemed too focused. The fact that they're bi-polar has some advantages and disadvantages, but the same can be said for my sister.

I look forward to your impressions in comparison to Khorns.

• Like 2

I owned three pair of Maggies. SMGbs, 2.6?, and the 10s....man that's been a while ago. I am the only guy I know that had khorns, then maggies, then belles, then maggies, then Khorns :) Yes, color me confused. If I could make a pair of 104db/w/m maggies, I'd be rich and happy :D  

• Like 2

I used to own Maggies.  They are the most accurate speakers I've ever heard (yes I know they don't have any bass :rolleyes: ).  Also, they don't play at LIVE! levels.  I love 'em because they are smooth and you can listen to them all day long. 

I auditioned the MG-1's playing the vinyl of Chuck Magione's "Feels So Good."  I A/B'd them by having a buddy who was a professional horn player play the same intro with the FSG flugal solo.  I shut my eyes when I listened.  I could not hear a difference in timbre, it was literally a "is it live or is is Memorex" moment.  I bought them on the spot.

I had to sell them when I got married.  My wife hated how big they were and she kept shoving them against the wall and put plants in front of them!  (with Maggies placement is crucial or they sound thin)

That was 30 years ago, and yes, I still have the wife (see avatar for proof of marrying above one's station).  :)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I only heard them in the store(s).  Always thought they sounded nice.  Then again, they were probably playing only something that WOULD sound nice.  That said, I realized (without realizing it) that I'm a dynamics *****.....so horns it is.

The fact that they're bi-polar has some advantages and disadvantages, but the same can be said for my sister.
The wonderful, low key humor on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Made me laugh out loud this morning... Thanks, Neil.

Bruce

• Like 1

Piano is the only instrument i can think of that doesn't sound realistic on my lascala's

Here's a typical piano unmastering curve that I've found--this one happens to be off the Philips label. 

post-26262-0-03720000-1450709404_thumb.g

You can try something like this using EQ for your La Scalas when playing piano recordings.

I still own a pair of Magnepan MG-IIIa's, stored now, that I bought new in 1983.  I had probably the closest thing to a perfect room for them in my prior house - with a sloping cathedral ceiling up to the roof line--finishing off at about 15 feet in the dining area, and the speakers placed away from the walls about 6 feet or more.  I never could get them to sound good so that two people could enjoy them at the same time.  (I don't have that issue with my present setup anymore.)

Here they are...pushed back out of the way (as was usual) in the early 90s and decorated a bit haphazardly for the season.  Their full-length ribbon tweeters kept blowing during later teenage years.  We gave up on repairing them after the second set of replacement tweeters. I powered them with a big Carver amp, and they were very nice sounding--never very loud even when cranked up.

post-26262-0-43360000-1450710297_thumb.j

Chris

Piano is the only instrument i can think of that doesn't sound realistic on my lascala's

A good recording of a solo Steinway has always been good speaker audition material for me. Some otherwise decent sounding speakers fail, It is hard to reproduce the large range of the instrument without having different octaves having totally different timbers.

• Like 1

A good recording of a solo Steinway has always been good speaker audition material for me. Some otherwise decent sounding speakers fail, It is hard to reproduce the large range of the instrument without having different octaves having totally different timbers.

A big +1, Trombone Professor.

If speakers can reproduce piano sound accurately, everything else is usually no problem.

And I agree with you the range of the timbre stresses a sound system to the max especially with overtones, decay and such, and the dynamic range of a piano from ppp to fff is really hard for speakers to reproduce. 

Edited by wvu80