$$$$$$Power Ball$$$$$$

MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

I would stop working the daily grind job...

Pay off house, buy a nicer car.... But not a fleet of ferrari's... Just a pair of nice cars for me and the Mrs.

Then... I would use the money to open a not-for-profit school that strives to actually educate. Bring back shop classes, art, band, cooking, and your normal sciences , math , and English.

• Like 4

Well, when you have a better chance of getting hit by an asteroid...

That would probably happen the day after I would win !  :(  If I were to start buying a ticket that is.

If the asteroid doesn't get you, I believe it is 50/50 that once you win the lottery (it essentially comes down to a coin flip), if after five years you are living happily ever after; or wind up drunk, broke, in jail or chased by the IRS.   :wacko2:

• Like 1

It's not that simple.  There's still the "law of large numbers" in statistics.  Enough tickets sold, someone will win.

How many die each year from being hit by an android?  Zero I'd guess. 

How many win these jack pots each year around the world?  More than one I'm pretty sure :)

Well, when you have a better chance of getting hit by an asteroid...

I heard an actuary stating that you had better odds of being hit by lightning, falling into the water & THEN being attacked by a shark, than you do of winning the lottery. I guess that is why they call it a tax on folks who are bad at math.

If by some remote chance I were to win the lottery, the first thing I would do would be to hire a tax accountant & an attorney to set up a charitable trust. You want to limit your tax liability as much as possible. Don't worry, the tax man always gets their share. After ensuring financial stability for family & friends, I would then set about donating to worthy causes & charities that have excellent ratings from charity watch groups.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy a beautiful new fishing boat & if I wanted to be cold I would fly there, but at some point, how much do you need?

• Like 1

Another fun fact.....there is an equal chance that the string of 1,2,3,4,5,6 will be drawn (or any other consecutive string for that matter) as there is for any other possible combination of random numbers.  Years ago when there was a big jackpot in California, I had a rather lengthy discussion about this with a co-worker (I didn't believe it), but he showed me the error of my ways.....which, doesn't happen very often....

• Like 1

Ahhhhh really..... Ya want to give me a loan.....I'll play all the numbers, then we can split it....I still think I should come out with a few mill.....lol lol MKP :-)

Then if two people hit (as has happened in the past), you're screwed.  :lol:

+++

Still...I like you.  I'm willing to take a chance on loaning you the $350 mil.

I need you to open an account with 100K in it, so I can verify you are a real person.  I'll send you a check, then you deposit it and wire me back 100K via Western Union, to show your good faith.

Then just wait for your lottery number to hit to come out even.  No problem!  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I've been shooing away whole gaggles of folks at work who are making a big production out of going in on the big lottery.  I've almost run out of excuses.  I can see the "entertainment" value of it but, as a retirement plan, buying a $5 lottery ticket leaves a lot to be desired.  Not only will you not* win, but now you are $5 poorer.  Repeat this often enough and it could be counter-productive for some poor soul who just dreams of striking it rich. 

Anecdotally, I've never known anyone who won more than a few bucks on any lottery and I'm 50.  This doesn't inspire me to try to break the drought.

Politically, I'm opposed to state-run lotteries that promise to put the proceeds to good use in education, healthcare, roads, etc.  This never happens.  Get a big enough pile of lottery-generated revenue in one place and corruption, graft, and fraud is the inevitable result.

Philosophically, I consider lotteries (along with most forms of "me-against-the-house" gambling) to be Darwinism in action.  One could even say that lotteries are a form of IQ test in the way the tend to separate fools from their money while at the same time never seeming to lure the rich, successful, or highly-accomplished person to shell out for a chance at a fortune.

But good luck to all you guys anyways.  Just don't turn into a ghost and disappear from the forums after you win.  We all want to see what toys you get with all that money!

*0.0000000000324 (your chance of winning the Powerball) is close enough to zero for everyday purposes.

I'm not going to lie.  If I won it all, I would probably do a lot of cocaine.

Well if you did, it would be second rate stuff, because IF you win anything, half would be more like it, because you see, i'll take my half, and im buyin a small jet and be in Boliva before you wake up sunday morning.

And do not plan on sending even second rate stuff north for quite some time....... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

Just throwing this out here. One of our neighbors, who was also a good friend did hit the lottery. $1,000,000!

Well dont leave us HANGIN, this is your time to chime in with "The poor folks lost everything they had" and last you heard they were living under a bridge.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1