So...what constitutes "insane amplification?"

The History Kid

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/ele/5397642295.html

Not even slightly interested in buying this, but it's the third or fourth time I've seen Bose amplifiers praised with the phrase "insane amplification." What exactly is it about these amplifiers that some people seem to love so much, and are they typical Bose gear or something more?

Certainly wouldn't want to bother the "professional hobbiest" with questions like these - rather I turn to a group of people I trust. Can anyone lay some old school education on me?

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/ele/5397642295.htmlNot even slightly interested in buying this, but it's the third or fourth time I've seen Bose amplifiers praised with the phrase "insane amplification." What exactly is it about these amplifiers that some people seem to love so much, and are they typical Bose gear or something more?Certainly wouldn't want to bother the "professional hobbiest" with questions like these - rather I turn to a group of people I trust. Can anyone lay some old school education on me?

I might need to visit the local Goodwill soon and pick up a cheap set of speakers for an "experiment".

Then, I will proceed to blister them with some whoop *** mono-block power and report back on how they did - or hopefully didn't.

A fire extinguisher will be handy as I'm hoping for some circuitry smoke somewhere along the way.   :D

• Like 1

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/ele/5397642295.html

... it's the third or fourth time I've seen Bose amplifiers praised with the phrase "insane amplification." What exactly is it about these amplifiers that some people seem to love so much, and are they typical Bose gear or something more?

It is a beast of an amp size wise and power.  It can peak 800 watts combined for 2 ch.

Some Bose speakers, like the 901, NEED that kind of power to sound halfway good.  The smallest amp I heard back in the day that made the 901s sound good was a Phase Linear 700 (350 w.p.c.).  They sounded a bit better with a McIntosh 1,000 watt amplifier. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys...

...so, what might require that kind of amplification though besides really inefficient speakers? Is someone really going to notice speakers pushing 600, 700, 1 kW? I'd think your hearing would give out before then.

(You know, besides the 901's.)

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

I have an old Crown DC 300 which was considered a rock of a professional amp during the same time. Vertically indestructible by rock groups no matter how they were handled or hooked up that I do not even consider worth fixing. Most professionals would not even consider carrying this heavy amp around when the same results can be achieved with present made amps.

I've got two of the Series II in very good condition. Every time I plug them in, I'm left wondering why I ever consider going new. I paid next to peanuts for them. When plugged into a class A preamp or a good late-model DAC, other than the sheer bulk of their transformers, I cannot find any reason to dispense with them based on the resulting sound.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Forum member JWC has a pair of McIntosh 1200 monoblocks.  I'd call those pretty insane for home audio.  I am pretty sure he had to install individual breakers for each and they are montsters as far as size and weight.

I also remember seeing them hit 1000 watts on those huge meters one night.

• Like 3

I guess it just seems too far out there to me. I'm pretty sure I don't use all 65 watts on my receiver, nor all 120 on my power amp - perhaps a quarter of each respectively. I just can't imagine what kind of pressure 1 kW would exert.

Thanks guys...

...so, what might require that kind of amplification though besides really inefficient speakers? Is someone really going to notice speakers pushing 600, 700, 1 kW? I'd think your hearing would give out before then.

(You know, besides the 901's.)

There are pro speakers that can take that much power.  Most home speakers don't need that much power because as you said, at home your ears would give up first.  These days, especially in the DIY community the use of pro speaker drivers for home theater setups seems like it is all the rage.

Edited by wvu80

Forum member JWC has a pair of McIntosh 1200 monoblocks.  I'd call those pretty insane for home audio.  I am pretty sure he had to install individual breakers for each and they are montsters as far as size and weight.

I also remember seeing them hit 1000 watts on those huge meters one night.

What was on the other end of the speaker wires?  :)

• Like 2

I thought the 7 was known to thrive on amplification down to 2 watts?

Yes, the RF-7 as well as other highly efficient models will play very nicely with low output amplifiers.  What I am saying is those 2 watt amps will not open the "power hungry" sevens up.  I can compare running my Chorus with a 170 wpc channel SS vs. 6 wpc SEP.  The tubes sound amazing don't get me wrong.  The high power SS however will shake the windows out of my house on the Chorus.  There is a very stark difference. 

When I had my RF-7 pair (originals), they sounded good with an Onkyo 85 wpc AVR.  They sounded better with an Adcom 125 wpc power amplifier and pre.  The 7's would blow my socks off running a vintage Yamaha M-80, 250 wpc. Simply amazed me how much the speakers opened up with increased power.  And yes, I used every bit of it, often. 

All I am saying is the RF-7 as well as the Chorus are "power hungry monsters" in that they love to be fed more and more.  It is almost like they evolve to another plane the more you feed them. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪