How does Klipsch rate?

ZEUS121996

"Right to work labor" which is code for plentiful sub $10.00 per hour labor

It's funny how often laws have titles that mean the opposite of what the law actually does.  "Right to work" states are those in which labour unions are tightly controlled or even suppressed.  Double-speak is here, and everybody is used to it by now.

I have to agree with Heavenly. Most people and I mean like 99% could give a hoot about Klipsch, even those in and around Hope. Hell even most "audiophiles" could care less about the brand. Heritage may be hi-end in price but not considered that by the stuffed shirts of hi-fi.

Most audio enthusiasts I've come across do not or have never preferred the Klipsch sound. That's not saying I haven't witnessed some of them do a 180 when they heard Klipsch dialed in properly. A very large number just don't like horns period.

As for most normal people...they could care less about speakers or who makes them.

That's often true.  I have a friend who has some nice speakers with a premium finish.  They had no visible badges, so I asked him the brand and he didn't even know.  Another friend has a nice late-model minivan.  When I asked him which model it was, he had to dig out his registration to find out.  Another time, the dentist who was working on me said he was into bikes and had a Honda 750.  I asked him what year, and he didn't know.

Are some people so focused on what's important to them that they have no time or interest in less important things, or are they running with half their brains stuck in Park?  I don't think we're obsessed.  I think we're the normal ones.

Well what I have run into usually is like a friend of mine said. I asked why he bought that bose home theater setup when for about the same money he could have gotten a lot better. His reply cause it was easy and I don't really care about the sound.

95% percent have no idea what audio is if they can not hold it in their hand they don't want it.

But there is hope the home theater idea is catching on....ya thinklol....I think cause going to movies is a 50 dollar bill now and I for one don't like not being comfortable or rude people. Plus I am not suppose to be in large crowds in confined spaces cause of anti-rejection drugs but then again I never did like doing that.

Klipsch tends to understate its own existence relying (preferentially?) upon word of mouth acknowledgements.  Across this country nearly every movie theater uses Klipsch product.  A simple 30 second trailer spot pointing out the source of the sound system to be enjoyed prior to each showing would seem invaluable.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Klipsch tends to understate its own existence relying (preferentially?) upon word of mouth acknowledgements. Across this country nearly every movie theater uses Klipsch product. A simple 30 second trailer spot pointing out the source of the sound system to be enjoyed prior to each showing would seem invaluable.

They have done one in conjunction with Dolby sound, it's awesome. I suggested the same thing ten years ago, but just recently learned that the theaters charge a lot of money for doing that. They have the trailer, which are 20 and 40 seconds in the movie biz, in some theaters and are expanding.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The local Chamber of Commerce should take it upon themselves to promote and recognize a homegrown business of this historic character.

The Klipsch Heritage Musuem will be working closely with the Chamber to provide resources to hopefully accomplish exactly what you suggested.

• Like 4

Klipsch tends to understate its own existence relying (preferentially?) upon word of mouth acknowledgements. Across this country nearly every movie theater uses Klipsch product. A simple 30 second trailer spot pointing out the source of the sound system to be enjoyed prior to each showing would seem invaluable.

They have done one in conjunction with Dolby sound, it's awesome. I suggested the same thing ten years ago, but just recently learned that the theaters charge a lot of money for doing that. They have the trailer, which are 20 and 40 seconds in the movie biz, in some theaters and are expanding.

Does Klipsch understand the market for their products...........  the market they have passively given away to Bose, et al???  What better point-of-application arena than a theater  featuring exclusively Klipsch professional systems?  There the ads own a captured audience and one that would best appreciate audio performance.  They should at least focus on the major market demographics and do this religiously.

There were a lot of hard feelings towards Klipsch when PWK sold the company. Also, Belle was dearly loved by the community, Valerie was not. There was even hatred between the Chamber and Valerie, which resulted in moving the museum at the Depot to Las Cruces. 

Sorry, but facts are facts. 

When I lived there in the 70's, everyone in town new of Klipsch. 

Edited by Rivervalleymgb

• Moderators

There were a lot of hard feelings towards Klipsch when PWK sold the company. Also, Belle was dearly loved by the community, Valerie was not. There was even hatred between the Chamber and Valerie, which resulted in moving the museum at the Depot to Las Cruces.

I think the word "hatred" is not an accurate, nor fair assessment. There were some misunderstandings, as everything at the railroad museum has been done in a verbal agreement. Originally the Chamber donated the space, then they wanted to charge rent. In addition, Ms. Valerie was providing maintenance, upkeep and admission to the museum, either personally or through a representative. The Chamber refused to negotiate those items, at the point they wanted to charge rent.

In fact, Ms Valerie's representative continues to personally fund and maintain the "parking space/PWK Garden" still currently located at the railroad station location. All flowers and maintenance is funded through Ms Valerie, and now personally by her representative. Construction of the garden/parking space, monuments etc were funded personally by Ms. Valerie.

Edited by dtel's wife

"Hope is a small town in Hempstead County  with two claims to fame: it is the birthplace of former U.S. President Bill Clinton and it showcases some of the world's largest watermelons."

They seem to be way more proud of that watermelon.

20160520_145057_zpsr0o9fzh7.jpg

• Like 1

I think the word "hatred" is not an accurate, nor fair assessment. There were some misunderstandings, as everything at the railroad museum has been done in a verbal agreement. Originally the Chamber donated the space, then they wanted to charge rent. In addition, Ms. Valerie was providing maintenance, upkeep and admission to the museum, either personally or through a representative. The Chamber refused to negotiate those items, at the point they wanted to charge rent.

In fact, Ms Valerie's representative continues to personally fund and maintain the "parking space/PWK Garden" still currently located at the railroad station location. All flowers and maintenance is funded through Ms Valerie, and now personally by her representative. Construction of the garden/parking space, monuments etc were funded personally by Ms. Valerie.

Not being a party to any of this, I am just going by what my old friends that were proud supporters of Klipsch and still live in Hope have said to me over the years. Hatred was too strong a word for me to use. Sorry for that.  I have friends not in Hope that really liked Valerie and had a good relationship with her. I will send you in a PM what has been told to me and what I experienced when I live in Hope.  As with everything, there are always two sides (or more) to everything. I can say there were a lot of hard feelings when the corporate office was moved to Indy. People in Hope felt betrayed. There was a lot that went on in the early 80's that put Klipsch in turmoil with the locals. I wanted to speak to you in private about this, but we never had the chance. It is up to us, the keepers of the flame to try and overcome this. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree with the statement in general. I also agree there are/were a lot of hurt feelings.

I wholeheartedly agree that we have a lot of work to do to "keep the flame alive"!

Please send me the PM or you can always give me a call!!!

Does Klipsch understand the market for their products...........  the market they have passively given away to Bose, et al???  What better point-of-application arena than a theater  featuring exclusively Klipsch professional systems?  There the ads own a captured audience and one that would best appreciate audio performance.  They should at least focus on the major market demographics and do this religiously.

Klipsch also needs to send out "Brand Ambassadors" to places with young people like college campuses and set up tents etc to market their products. The audio 'generation gap' is a massive untapped market and the resurgence in Vinyl is an indication that at least many kids care to think about audio quality and people are generally sick of plastic junk. It would be cool send a pair of Klipschhorns to display at the Engineering building to have fluid dynamics students study and look at every day they walk by the halls. Then when they make 6 figures a few years after graduation the ultimate in speakers will already be in their mind from what they saw and envied every day back at school.

Even play up the fact that Chipotle restaurants all have Klispch speakers in them. Chipotle has a cult like following in places like Colorado and yet the masses of young people coming to eat have no idea to look up and the unique speakers built into the wall or realize what they are. What is the point of having classic, audiophile quality speakers in a custom build if the patrons have no idea?  Klipsch has an awesome culture and needs to play up their heritage and 'Americana' brand and should leverage that as their speakers are in the price point many affluent younger people can buy. Right now, it seems like unless you stumble across a set of Klispch speakers at Best Buy there isnt much exposure to the brand.   

We all know and respect where PWK started out and have a strong appreciation for the craftsman that have built the finest decade after decade, but if you are going to shake trees and pound chests you really have to throw Indy in the mix to see how far things have come and what level they are on now.

Klipsch-HQ-Building-Indianapolis-2000x11

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

When and who exactly moved the HQ from Hope to Indiana?

From the November 20, 2011 website as found on the "wayback machine" site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111120082837/http://www.klipsch.com/about-us

Fred S. Klipsch and his wife, Judy, purchased Klipsch & Associates from Paul in 1989, moving business operations to their hometown of Indianapolis, Indiana, while continuing manufacturing and distribution in Hope. Fred’s decision to purchase the company almost seemed like destiny.

In the mid-1980s, Fred Klipsch saw a loudspeaker advertisement in a magazine that bore a familiar name—his. He tore out the Klipsch & Associates ad and carried it around with him for three years before calling the company’s founder. Although they had never met, Fred and Paul Klipsch discovered they were cousins and, without an heir, Paul began talking about a way to keep his privately held company in the family. From there, Fred and Judy would spend the next two decades transforming the humble company into a highly regarded global brand and technology powerhouse, while keeping Paul Klipsch’s legacy alive. (Read Custom Retailer story on Fred and Judy's 20th Anniversary of owning the company.)

Fred and Judy, along with their passionate team, have completely redefined product categories. They’ve navigated the company through major changes in the audio market, as records and cassette tapes have given way to CDs and MP3 files and television channels are now broadcasting in 5.1 surround sound.     

Today, Klipsch sells hundreds of premium speakers for every lifestyle, application and budget. The brand’s diverse product portfolio encompasses home theater, professional cinema, installed whole-house contracting, commercial, computer speakers, iPod docks and headphones.

As the audio world continues to evolve to meet the listening preferences of consumers, Klipsch will look to the future with an eye for the past. Everything Klipsch does today and 100 years from now will reflect Paul’s no-compromise spirit and the brand’s commitment to delivering the world’s most powerful, detailed and emotional sound reproduction.

• Like 1