Another Tragedy in Orlando

Ceptorman

A 2 year old boy was dragged into the water by an alligator at a Disney resort last night. He was playing in 24" of water, his Dad tried to save hime but couldn't. They pulled 4 gators out of the pond but no sign of the boy. I can't imagine what his parents are going through.

I did not hear  "They pulled 4 gators out of the pond"

If that's the case, maybe there should have been more than a "No Swimming" sign?? ??  ??

I mean , even though gators travel, isn't this "lagoon" like totally within public frequented Disney property?

Maybe he was "radicalized"

Lars

• Like 1

I did not hear  "They pulled 4 gators out of the pond"

If that's the case, maybe there should have been more than a "No Swimming" sign?? ??  ??

I mean , even though gators travel, isn't this "lagoon" like totally within public frequented Disney property?

Maybe he was "radicalized"

Lars

Ever since I moved to Florida in 1989, I have often heard the question asked, "Are there gators in this lake, pond, river, spring, etc.?"  And the answer that is most often heard is, "If it is a fresh body of water in Florida then the answer is yes." 

That includes Disney. :o  ;)

As far as a sign warning of gators, can't hurt.

Bill

One news outlet said there are "no swimming" signs posted. Apparently the toddler was standing close to the edge, maybe in a couple three inches of water when the gator struck. His father went in and struggled to pull him free but lost the battle. Can you imagine? I have two grandsons that very age and can't fathom how you would ever be able to get your head around this.

And yes the radicalized comments were stupid; try to put yourself in those parents shoes while cracking wise.

• Like 3

In most places the public goes gators are fed enough not to be hungry. That is the main solution. I went to school at UF and saw them everywhere. Lakes streams golf courses marshes and the everglades. Takes getting used to for those not native. No fault of the family at all of course.

Saw this story last night, very sad.  Lived in FL for 5 years (Tampa/Temple Terrace area). Anyone traveling to Florida should anticipate and expect to find gators any and everywhere there's fresh water.... even brackish water.

This a tragedy that's beyond anything I can imagine. I cannot imagine what would be worse than to lose that battle and see my child alive for the last time in a gators mouth. As a Grandad of 6, When I saw that story it literally made me sick.

• Like 2

If it were Dobermans or pit bulls, the dog owner would be blamed.  If it were a private pond, the owner might be blamed.  But this is Disney, they get a pass from Mickey Mouse copyright laws, and due to the brainwashing of the masses by Disney as somehow a wholesome all American family friendly corporation, it will be interesting what any legal outcome will be.  The parents will probably be blamed.

I just got back from a trip to visit friends and family in the Orlando area.  Quite frankly I get nervous running down a utility road with tall grass on both sides.  Both my wife and I just shook our heads when we heard the story as we know you assume that there are gators in every body of water there.  I've seen them in the smallest of ponds outside a back door in very suburban neighborhoods.   I guess that family from Nebraska just felt safe within the confines of Disney, but that is just not how you handle any lake in Florida.  A very sad situation that was easily avoidable.