Ford EcoBoost

T2K

I've never owned a Ford vehicle in my life. I did ride in my buddys 1966 Fairlane 500 decades ago. Today I drove a Ford Escape with a 2.0L Ecoboost I4 with turbocharger with start-stop technology coupled to a 6-speed automatic transmission. I was impressed with the low end power. I never noticed the engine stop running during my test drive in crowed city traffic at speeds of less than 50MPH.

I don't give a rats a$$ about MPG's. I'm thinking about a grocery store sled for my wife. Small woman needs a small SUV. Her current car is 17 years old and has 55,000 miles and stays in the garage. She don't need a car she says, but I want to buy her one. You can hardly find a small SUV now with a V-6 so this is the first 4 cylinder I've driven in decades.

I know there are some Ford guys here and some that know about Ford products. I'd like to hear any comments positive or negative about this vehicle and this engine. And you know I appreciate it.

Keith

From what I have seen the term "Ecoboost" means that the fuel is injected under higher pressure directly into the cylinder for better gas mileage and power. Something that was learned on the Chaparral race cars I believe.

JJK

We have an expedition. The previous one was traded in 3 years ago....we asked..."we want the exact same vehicle again". Looked identical with "same motor". The side if the car says ecoboost. Doesn't have near the punch. Harder to pass cars.

We have a Flex with the Ecoboost, which is completely different from the Ecoboost in the Escape, and we love it!

I did drive an Escape with the Ecoboost and was pleasantly surprised by the performance. The "Eco" part is comical if you are truly into achieving maximum gas mileage but the "boost" part helps an engine that would normally feel sluggish perform quite nicely.

Ours is a 3.5 liter, 365HP V6 with all wheel drive that can embarrass most V8 powered vehicles. And you wouldn't even know it.

I would encourage you to consider buying it. We have enjoyed all of our Ford cars. Good luck!

my experience with all these manufacturers trying to put smaller more eco friendly motors in, it that it just makes the little motor work that much harder to move a large vehicle. looks great on paper, might drive fine now but i worry about the longevity. i just got rid of a acura rdx turbo 4 cylinder. all wheel drive. great car. horrible gas mileage. my new v8 chevy gets better highway and in town than the 4 cylinder acura. but i also noticed that acura has now changed the rex to a v6, and to me the reason was that the suv had tons of get up and go. but i dont think the motor was gonna last like a normal honda acura motor. lots of honda motors out there with 300k+ miles on them. dont think that turbo motor would have lasted that long. 

same with my parents have a 2007 f-150 with the little 4.6 v8 in it. gets great mileage out on the highway, but it won't get out of its own way if you are in a hurry. just no guts to the motor. not a fan of putting a smaller motor than what needs to be in a certain size vehicle. 

• Like 2

55,000 in 17 years, and the next 17 years tells me resale value isn't a concern, since you will likely keep it until it's considered an antique. Mileage probably isn't a big concern either since she drives 250 miles a month. What this may come down to is asking her what dash she wants to be staring over for the next couple decades, and how easy and hard it is to drive and get in and out of. There are a plethora of small SUV's and crossovers to choose from. Here is a nice place to see all of them on one page: http://www.caranddriver.com/best-suvs-crossovers

Ive got a coyote S550 now... the guys on the. Mustang forum are extremely positive on their ecoboost cars... nothing but positive reviews of that motor.

Ford still suffers slightly from intermittent fit and finish issues, but only of the superficial items like body panels and paint.

Thankfully my car is good, as it is the first Aemrican car I have ever purchased.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. All the compact SUV's at the price point (32-34k) have positives and negatives. It's a matter of preference and need I guess. I'll keep looking.

Keith

Judy has a 2015 EcoBoost 4 cylinder Mustang. An absolute blast to drive. It is loaded with options and has a the bells and whistles along with selective suspension for different types of driving. About 320 HP and gives her all the power she needs. It really flies when in the power band for the turbo. Gas mileage is good and hold the road like a dream. 

My daughter has the Escape with the Eco Boost engine, has for about 3 years. She loves it. Does not push it hard but puts on more miles than it looks like your wife does. She is also an engineer, so is usually critical of poor design and performance. Not yet on this one.

I have a F150 Ecoboost. I put a tuner on it and love it. My truck is rated 14 city and 19 highway. So long as I don't get crazy with the gas pedal, I can hit those ratings no problem...and that's with about 300 extra pounds consistently on the truck. 

Direct injection engines will need valve and cylinder cleanings more often due to carbon build up.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-engines/index.htm

Not a Ford fan, sorry.  I would be looking at the top rated Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue