Ford EcoBoost

T2K

Just my 2 cents thrown in.....

Some of you guys know I've been working on Honda/Acura vehicles for the last 30 years.... and my wife and I own a Honda shop....For the last several years I've been doing work for the used car lot next to me. They do alot of Honda's but also quite a few domestics. Ford and GM have come leaps and bounds over the last 20 years. You can see the engineering has changed. They are put together and designed so much better. Oh they still got there flaws just as much as the imports. 

I've been saying for the last ten years or so...... it's almost like it's getting to be ONE big global car company. One example of this would be the Honda's of today are nothing like the Honda's of the 90's. I see GM engineering in how they are put together today. It is a more efficient way to assemble a vehicle. 

I tell all my customers when they are thinking about buying a car "google" the car...... see what others have to say about it. I like alot of the Fords I've had a chance to work on and drive around a bit.... Also..... yes a direct injection engine will need carbon cleaned off the intake valves..... Most auto manufactures are/will be going to direct injection. 

Last.... imho.... check out Hyundai.... a few of my customers have owned them over the years and they are giving Toyota and Honda a run for there money...

Good luck...

MKP :-)

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 1

My wife is on her second Forester (non-turbo). She traded in her 2010 so when she retires the new one (2014) will have less miles on it. I will say, it handles better than it looks like it would. I'm sure the boxer engine (4-cyl) gives it a lower center of gravity. The 14' has a CVT trans that I'm still getting used to, you can only down-shift to "LOW" as there is no other "gear" choice like in the 2010.  Mileage is somewhere about 30-ish for the highway.

My 03' Acura TL-S just got a new transmission per a class action suit filed back around 06'. Car feel totally different with tons of torque, but what I think is happening is the trans is running in the next lower gear than you'd expect running around in town. Funny because the trans was the only major part listed on the window sticker as being made in Japan....and THAT's what they had problems with.

I will say this though....last week I was giving fits to an Audi A7 3.0T. LOL!!

Edited by Mighty Favog

A friend recently bought a King Ranch with the V8. He said the salesman was pushing him hard to get the twin turbo Ecoboost V6. He drove the V6 and said it had plenty of power but chose the V8 because of maintenance and reliability. He also owns a '90s diesel 1 ton with a turbo and he's on the second turbocharger. I don't think he trusts an engine with 2 turbos on it at all.

Edited by Don Richard

I owned a Ford F-150 with EcoBoost until 3 months ago.  It ran quiet - even when turbo kicked in, and the power started there.  Good city truck - not so good hauling a 3k lb boat on the interstate.  So I traded it in.

I second what Jason said above about extra stress on motor. 

Diesels have been turbocharged for years with great success.  But a diesel engine and a gasoline engine are two different animals entirely.  Diesels vomit torque.  And adding a turbo just increases the flow.

Gassers need to build torque.  That becomes difficult to do while attempting to build boost simultaneously. 

Ponder this:

Why are there so many diesel luxury cars, sports cars and SUVs in Europe and not here?  They are super reliable, more fuel efficient, and more powerful.

My $0.02 - Ford missed the mark with the EcoBoost.  They should have just went straight to the diesels they sell in Europe.

:emotion-21: on the Subaru Forester. My wife has a 2014 also(non turbo). She loves it.

I have a 2007 Forester with almost 190k on it. Love the handling and acceleration it has. It's been in a couple of small accidents, and it is now nosier on the inside, but it's a great little car. Plus, two LaScalas will fit in the back.

Bruce

I've got a 2015 F150  SuperCrew 4x4 2.7L EcoBoost. I use non-ethanol gas and am averaging around 20mpg in the city. This drops to about 18 with ethanol.

Anyway I love it, it has plenty of getup and go and the stop start option works like a charm.

This is an interesting read and I can only imagine all truck manufacturers are under the same stress

http://www.omaha.com/money/after-billion-overhaul-of-f--ford-is-scrambling-to/article_cc0437fe-b899-5b2c-a38c-3d07a4416445.html

Edited by Steve_S

• 2 weeks later...

Ponder this:

Why are there so many diesel luxury cars, sports cars and SUVs in Europe and not here?  They are super reliable, more fuel efficient, and more powerful.

I can't explain it well but we have this misled idea about putting limitations on diesels based on what amounts to be a percentage of pollutants to its fuel consumption or something.  Basically the ratio of what a small diesel engine consumes vs. the bad stuff it puts out is higher than a large diesel engine, even though the larger engine actually outputs more pollutants overall, so they haven't been allowed to be sold here, they're just now getting clean enough for smaller diesels to be sold here.  Basically thank the EPA or whoever else oversees our fuel standards.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The modern engine typically has variable valve timing and even cylinder deactivation. The engine management system can control when, how long and, in some cases, how deep the valve goes into the combustion chamber. If an intake valve is dropping into a combustion chamber with combustion byproducts or unburned fuel, the valve might be exposed to the precursors that cause ­carbon build-up.

Some have blamed the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) systems for leaving an oily film on the intake valve that is then baked into carbon. Some blame the valve overlap during the intake stroke that eliminates the need for an EGR valve.

Just my 2 cents thrown in.....

Some of you guys know I've been working on Honda/Acura vehicles for the last 30 years.... and my wife and I own a Honda shop....For the last several years I've been doing work for the used car lot next to me. They do alot of Honda's but also quite a few domestics. Ford and GM have come leaps and bounds over the last 20 years. You can see the engineering has changed. They are put together and designed so much better. Oh they still got there flaws just as much as the imports. 

I've been saying for the last ten years or so...... it's almost like it's getting to be ONE big global car company. One example of this would be the Honda's of today are nothing like the Honda's of the 90's. I see GM engineering in how they are put together today. It is a more efficient way to assemble a vehicle. 

I tell all my customers when they are thinking about buying a car "google" the car...... see what others have to say about it. I like alot of the Fords I've had a chance to work on and drive around a bit.... Also..... yes a direct injection engine will need carbon cleaned off the intake valves..... Most auto manufactures are/will be going to direct injection. 

Last.... imho.... check out Hyundai.... a few of my customers have owned them over the years and they are giving Toyota and Honda a run for there money...

Good luck...

MKP :-)

I drive a 2013 Hyundai Sonata hybrid, and really, it's the best car I've ever had.  I've had Cadillac, Bonneville, GMC Sierra Crew Cab and extended cab.  This Hyundai is my first foreign car to drive, except for an Isuzu P'up I had when I was in my teens.

I hate to be critical of American-made cars, but really, they are inferior.  They might "last" as long.  They might even have fewer defects in terms of things breaking.  That, I really can't say, because all of the American cars I drove were all okay in that regard.

However, go to a 2013 Ford Fusion and open and close the doors and the trunk.  Feel how much they are like bricks, compared to opening and closing the doors and trunks of Hyundais, Hondas, Kias, etc.  On my Hyundai, I can practically just let go of the trunk, and it will close on its own.  The doors can be shut with minimal exertion, and they will close snugly.  With Ford, you have to slam the doors to get a snug fit.

I can't say these are "flaws," but IMO, somebody (and it ain't us) has better engineers in terms of balancing body parts and panels and making it all fit ergonomically for the drivers and passengers.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

I owned a Ford F-150 with EcoBoost until 3 months ago.  It ran quiet - even when turbo kicked in, and the power started there.  Good city truck - not so good hauling a 3k lb boat on the interstate.  So I traded it in.

I second what Jason said above about extra stress on motor. 

Diesels have been turbocharged for years with great success.  But a diesel engine and a gasoline engine are two different animals entirely.  Diesels vomit torque.  And adding a turbo just increases the flow.

Gassers need to build torque.  That becomes difficult to do while attempting to build boost simultaneously. 

Ponder this:

My $0.02 - Ford missed the mark with the EcoBoost.  They should have just went straight to the diesels they sell in Europe.

I'm surprised your F150 Ecoboost did poorly on the highway with a 3k boat. What rear end did you have? I've loaded my 5200lb utility trailer up to the brim and had no problems at interstate speed. MPGs? lol

The comparable diesel motor for the ecoboost is Ram's ecodiesel. I looked/drove them before I purchased my Ecoboost. They were an absolute dog in acceleration regardless of rear end, but got better mpgs. I went with the extra 120hp in spite of lower mpgs. 

Ponder this:

I can't explain it well but we have this misled idea about putting limitations on diesels based on what amounts to be a percentage of pollutants to its fuel consumption or something.  Basically the ratio of what a small diesel engine consumes vs. the bad stuff it puts out is higher than a large diesel engine, even though the larger engine actually outputs more pollutants overall, so they haven't been allowed to be sold here, they're just now getting clean enough for smaller diesels to be sold here.  Basically thank the EPA or whoever else oversees our fuel standards.  

With Diesel engines (and possibly some gas engines), the bigger the engine, the more it becomes practical to add devices and systems that reduce fuel consumption and unwanted exhaust emissions.  The ultimate examples of this are the huge ship engines that are the size of apartment buildings.  They are really fuel efficient, and reliable, too.

With gas engines, turbos are added to increase power output.  With Diesel engines, turbos are added to give a wider powerband, so less shifting is required.  Diesel engines, generally speaking, have lots of low-end and mid-range power, then peter out at higher revs.  The turbo allows them to continue making power in the higher rpm range, so they become easier to work with or more flexible in operation.

As for Europe having lots more Diesel-powered cars on the road, it's true, they're ahead of us there.  They're now far enough ahead to have noticed that all is not well in Diesel-Land.  The engines produce less CO (the article says CO2, but I think that's wrong), but their NO2 and particulate emissions are much higher, to the point where Paris has been considering banning Diesel engines.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/no-diesel-cars-in-paris-by-2020-and-london-might-ban-them-too-why-the-world-now-seems-to-hate-diesels/

London may be next.  London has had serious air pollution issues over the centuries, including killer smog from dirty-burning coal in the mid-20th century, culminating in The Great Smog of 1952 that killed 4,000 people in the short term, and around 12,000 in the slightly longer term.  Strong action was taken, and the air has been much cleaner ever since.  Obviously, London would not want to be in that situation ever again.

Here's the Wiki page about it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog

Here's a 2014 article in The Telegraph about the dirty air in London: 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/11280067/London-will-follow-Paris-and-ban-diesel-cars-campaigners-warn.html

Knowing this, it's possible that North America will never have the same percentage of Diesel cars on the road as Europe did at its peak, which will likely be in the near future, and it will be just as well for everyone.

In case you're wondering why I capitalize Diesel, it's because it's the inventor's name.  In the 1890s, Rudolph Diesel invented the engine named after him.

Edited by Islander