Bob Dylan wins 2016 Nobel Prize in literature

TasDom

American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan won the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday, a stunning announcement that for the first time bestowed the prestigious award on a musician for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bob-dylan-wins-2016-nobel-prize-in-literature/ar-AAiTpmB?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rivernuggets said:

For me, Neil Young is in the same category: Excellent song writer who should let someone else do vocals.

Just saw Neil last Saturday his voice was pristine.  Sir Paul bought him up to sing a couple of songs during his set.

It was the same 2 years ago with Crazy Horse and 5 years ago for his one man show.  His voice is pretty much the same as it was 30 years ago.

But, it is a very distinctive voice that I could see may not sit well with some people.  

I have heard some say that about Tom Petty, Axel Rose, etc.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:54 PM, dtel said:

Good deal, I just wish he could sing better so I could understand more of the lyrics. 

I have the same problem with Elton John. It seams that when he was "dating" Bernie, I couldn't understand anything he said. When he wasn't dating him, not a problem.

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Just saw Neil last Saturday his voice was pristine.  Sir Paul bought him up to sing a couple of songs during his set.

It was the same 2 years ago with Crazy Horse and 5 years ago for his one man show.  His voice is pretty much the same as it was 30 years ago.

But, it is a very distinctive voice that I could see may not sit well with some people.  

I have heard some say that about Tom Petty, Axel Rose, etc.

I like most everything about him and what he has done for rock and roll.  He deserves the praise and accolades, etc.  And sounding the same (live no less!) for decades is a hard thing to pull off for sure.  It's just kind of deflating when he comes in after a roaring, rockin' intro.  :mellow:

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:54 PM, dtel said:

Good deal, I just wish he could sing better so I could understand more of the lyrics. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:20 PM, dwilawyer said:

Just saw him in concert, great poet, would have preferred he just read the words.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:21 AM, Rivernuggets said:

For me, Neil Young is in the same category: Excellent song writer who should let someone else do vocals.

I saw Dylan about 5 years ago. His first song was very rough with barely understandable lyrics, grunted more than sung. Then someone kicked the Autotune in and wow! In tune and intelligible for the rest of the show. Hooray for technology!