What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

20230903_181226.thumb.jpg.799184b72d96aab50c1f0717c67c3b13.jpgI have a fascination with the history in the 3 centuries surrounding 70 CE and how it relates to the Dead Sea Scrolls. I started a few months ago reading the Bible again using the 2 commentaries above and comparing. The "Harper Collins Study Bible" on the left is more scholarly oriented and I got for my birthday in June, while the "Jeremiah Study Bible" was given to me by a friend/student as a gift and has more of a sermon point of view. Ironically, both at the same time and not knowing about the other.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 6:22 PM, Zen Traveler said:

20230903_181226.thumb.jpg.799184b72d96aab50c1f0717c67c3b13.jpgI have a fascination with the history in the 3 centuries surrounding 70 CE and how it relates to the Dead Sea Scrolls. I started a few months ago reading the Bible again using the 2 commentaries above and comparing. The "Harper Collins Study Bible" on the left is more scholarly oriented and I got for my birthday in June, while the "Jeremiah Study Bible" was given to me by a friend/student as a gift and has more of a sermon point of view. Ironically, both at the same time and not knowing about the other.

The "Harper Collins Study Bible" and the "Jeremiah Study Bible" sound like they provide different angles on the material, with one offering a more scholarly approach and the other focusing on the sermon and practical aspects. This duality can be a great way to gain a comprehensive understanding of the historical and religious context of the time, as well as its relevance to modern interpretations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, justieyo said:

The "Harper Collins Study Bible" and the "Jeremiah Study Bible" sound like they provide different angles on the material, with one offering a more scholarly approach and the other focusing on the sermon and practical aspects. This duality can be a great way to gain a comprehensive understanding of the historical and religious context of the time, as well as its relevance to modern interpretations.

Agreed! Btw, if you're into that kinda thing check this out: 

On 10/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, Zen Traveler said:

@RealMarkDeneen Ha! I've gone a slightly different historical route. I'm on the last 100 pages of a 900+ page book by Dr Robert Eisenman, "James the Brother of Jesus" which isn't religious but more of a historical look at 2nd Temple Judaism to right after 70 CE when the temple was destroyed. It's taken me the better part of half a year to read while I research the historicity of his sources. {Note: I started with my copy of Josephus but found it was easier to research on the internet. ;)}

James.jpg

Josephus.jpg

The Dead Sea Scrolls have been an interest of mine for quite sometime! 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:26 AM, billybob said:

If looking for the origin and practice of psychoanalysis, Freud, Jung and Adler a good starting point historically.

What happens if you conclude that you don't really exist ?

I completely understand the frustration you've encountered while trying to navigate Serviio. It can be a complex platform to grasp, and spending hours on it can be incredibly taxing. However, remember, you're not alone in facing such challenges. We've all been there, feeling stuck with technology at some point. Instead of giving up, why not consider seeking help from online communities or forums? They can be a valuable resource for solving such issues. Trust me, once you get past this, it's a great feeling of accomplishment. And hey, when you've conquered this, you can proudly add it to your personal https://essaypro.cоm/blog/ama-citation-format  "AMA title page" of tech triumphs!

Edited by Graceweltan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2023 at 6:01 PM, CWelsh said:

I'm a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and have been working my way through all 42 books. I'm currently reading "The Shepherd's Crown". It is technically a young adult book, but I don't mind.

Just now finishing another TP book: 'Witches Abroad'     

So far my favorite.
Are the Discworld books to be read in order?

On 1/2/2024 at 10:28 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Just now finishing another TP book: 'Witches Abroad'     

So far my favorite.
Are the Discworld books to be read in order?

Each of the Discworld books can stand on their own, but there are a lot of recurring characters that develop over time. Before I realized it was a collection I read a couple and felt like something was missing, so I started from the beginning and have really enjoyed the flow. Unfortunately, there are three books I have been unable to get through my library.