Seems no good deed goes unpunished

Coytee

My wifes cousin lives next door.  He can't tell someone "no, you can't borrow my log splitter (because last time you borrowed it, you kept it for six months and returned it non-working)

We have a neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road.  Kind of a good ole 'country redneck' family.  The father passed away just this past summer.  I think he was 65.  The two (adult) boys are in/out of jail more than I can count.  They move in/out of the house...depending on if they have a job, are running from the police or mooching off mom.

One of them asked my wife's cousin earlier this year, if he could get some firewood as they had none (didn't you realize last summer, or prior or prior that winter was coming and you were low on wood?)

So my wife's cousin said he could have some of his.

Well, there was a green light.

I came home one day, heard some odd sound outside and saw the neighbors truck, trying to BACK up a hill...heading to the log pile.  He was going to load up again.  Seems if you say yes once, it means yes anytime they need it so he can just help himself as he pleases.

I don't think he ever made it up the hill though.

They currently have my wife's cousins log splitter (when will he ever learn?) so over the Christmas Holiday, he had a couple son in laws visiting (not actually son in laws but the father of his two grandsons)

So we have able bodies for the holiday.

Today, I fire up the backhoe, they jump into his truck and we go drag a fallen oak tree to the neighbors house.

I dragged it out of the woods, down the road and to their driveway, he got the splitter and we started cutting it up and splitting it.

In the meantime, I parked my hoe out front (of a dead end street)

I noticed a truck drive in....  a few minutes later, I noticed a red light (brake light) at the vicinity of my hoe through the trees....started to walk over there.

My chainsaw was with me however, I had a brand spanking new telescoping Stihl chainsaw in the hoe.

The truck floored it....and my pole saw was in their back

They (cousins grandson & his father) took off in truck to follow them but, at the end of my street is a dead end.  You either turn left or right....  they turned left....and it seems the perps turned to the right.

So they got off with my brand new (had only used a single tank of gas so far) pole saw (Stihl HT-131)

Pretty brazen to be doing that when we were a mere 50' away (however that damn tree canopy took up the whole road and disallowed me to run over there very quickly)

All this because we were trying to get my neighbors some firewood

Call law enforcement. 

Obviously they have previous contact with the neighbors and they will likely be willing to go over there and recover your stolen property, in addition to the other stolen property LE suspects is over there that you don't yet know about.

• Moderators

1. You are much nicer than I would have been. 2. I would carry a gun

Once when digging out stumps from a bunch of pine trees we removed someone stopped and started screaming at us the we shouldn't remove the trees. I explained that we wee going to replant it with oaks. Made no difference, my neighbor happened to be on the backhoe at the time as we took turns and shut it down to see what the problem was. The lady screaming said if we don't stop she was going to come in the yard and stop us. The actually trees were already gone, I guess she thought they would grow back ? My friend who is 10 years older than me only said one thing to the lady, yes please  come over here, I am going to dig another hole and bury your dumb azz standing up and no one will ever find you, he said come on as he started digging. She stood there a minute and walked off not saying anything and there were no other problems.

You do have a backhoe and alot of property, make some signs to put out saying  "want to be buried for free, I have a backhoe, just trespass ".

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Coytee said:

My wifes cousin lives next door.  He can't tell someone "no, you can't borrow my log splitter (because last time you borrowed it, you kept it for six months and returned it non-working)

We have a neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road.  Kind of a good ole 'country redneck' family.  The father passed away just this past summer.  I think he was 65.  The two (adult) boys are in/out of jail more than I can count.  They move in/out of the house...depending on if they have a job, are running from the police or mooching off mom.

One of them asked my wife's cousin earlier this year, if he could get some firewood as they had none (didn't you realize last summer, or prior or prior that winter was coming and you were low on wood?)

So my wife's cousin said he could have some of his.

Well, there was a green light.

I came home one day, heard some odd sound outside and saw the neighbors truck, trying to BACK up a hill...heading to the log pile.  He was going to load up again.  Seems if you say yes once, it means yes anytime they need it so he can just help himself as he pleases.

I don't think he ever made it up the hill though.

They currently have my wife's cousins log splitter (when will he ever learn?) so over the Christmas Holiday, he had a couple son in laws visiting (not actually son in laws but the father of his two grandsons)

So we have able bodies for the holiday.

Today, I fire up the backhoe, they jump into his truck and we go drag a fallen oak tree to the neighbors house.

I dragged it out of the woods, down the road and to their driveway, he got the splitter and we started cutting it up and splitting it.

In the meantime, I parked my hoe out front (of a dead end street)

I noticed a truck drive in....  a few minutes later, I noticed a red light (brake light) at the vicinity of my hoe through the trees....started to walk over there.

My chainsaw was with me however, I had a brand spanking new telescoping Stihl chainsaw in the hoe.

The truck floored it....and my pole saw was in their back

They (cousins grandson & his father) took off in truck to follow them but, at the end of my street is a dead end.  You either turn left or right....  they turned left....and it seems the perps turned to the right.

So they got off with my brand new (had only used a single tank of gas so far) pole saw (Stihl HT-131)

Pretty brazen to be doing that when we were a mere 50' away (however that damn tree canopy took up the whole road and disallowed me to run over there very quickly)

All this because we were trying to get my neighbors some firewood

You don't understand criminals. Once you loan a criminal something it is their property forever. Once the first loan is in progress then all of the next loans on other personal items require no permissions as permission was already given for the first loan and that extends automatically to all of them forever. I would start learning the proper phraseology such as:

"Do you feel lucky punk?" or "Make my day".

JJK 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

1. You are much nicer than I would have been. 2. I would carry a gun

Once when digging out stumps from a bunch of pine trees we removed someone stopped and started screaming at us the we shouldn't remove the trees. I explained that we wee going to replant it with oaks. Made no difference, my neighbor happened to be on the backhoe at the time as we took turns and shut it down to see what the problem was. The lady screaming said if we don't stop she was going to come in the yard and stop us. The actually trees were already gone, I guess she thought they would grow back ? My friend who is 10 years older than me only said one thing to the lady, yes please  come over here, I am going to dig another hole and bury your dumb azz standing up and no one will ever find you, he said come on as he started digging. She stood there a minute and walked off not saying anything and there were no other problems.

You do have a backhoe and alot of property, make some signs to put out saying  "want to be buried for free, I have a backhoe, just trespass ".

My sign suggestion: 'I have a .45 and a backhoe. No one will miss the likes of you.' :D

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

It seems the blessed spirit of forgiveness disappears rather quickly the day after Christmas.   :rolleyes:

I give and forgive way more than I probably should, but even on Christmas day don't take advantage or steal from me or my family. I have very few if any enemies, but not afraid to make a new one if needed. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Call law enforcement.

I had them on the phone before the perps even got off our road.  My phone was in my pocket so was easy to quickly dial.

Ironically, just 20 minutes prior, the Sheriff had been at the very house....on the very driveway where this happened.  I was dragging the tree there as he was turning in to turn around.

He said it really ticked him off that he was so close and missed it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

2. I would carry a gun

First, I don't own one.  (not against them, just don't own one)

Second, I do fear that I'm so hard headed & stubborn that "you slimes" are not going to steal my stuff, I would have unloaded the entire clip at them / their truck.

Probably get myself put into prison for life for being stubborn.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coytee said:

Probably get myself put into prison for life for being stubborn.

I guess that could happen, but those pole saws are so darn handy. I'll probably never limb out a tree with a regular chainsaw again. It's just so much easier with the pole version.

Anyway, I sure hope you recover your stolen saw.