Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

35 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Don't go ballistic on that Tubular Bells.  Thinking I got a new copy and side 1 maybe had some sketchy crap goin on.  I'll give it a listen tomorrow for breakfast w/ @KROCK! can’t find my original 

Can’t find the original record 

Think I lent it out and never came back Grrrrrrrr 😄

Just came home after purchasing some clear gum to give the glue trick a try 

It has the same ingredients as the more expensive stuff at 3 X the price 

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/studymate-clear-gum-glue-1l-ssjbgum1 

• Like 4

Shouldn't take long to dry since it's fall there.   I'll check mine in the morning. I know I had one that sure sounded bad so I sleeved it and put it away.  Hope it wasn't contagious in the run and everyone got hosed.  Rare though but today?  Never say never!  

Think I have a couple copies but wanted the 180/remaster I think.  Can't remember... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Think I have a couple copies but wanted the 180/remaster I think.  Can't remember... 

I have the original Tubular Bells on CD.  Do you guys know that Oldfield re-recorded the album for some reason in 2003? The Caveman song, on side b of the re-recording, is completely ridiculous! It's a professional singer copying the original and it is like a fraud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells_2003?wprov=sfla1

(from 11:40 in Pt. 2)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 2/28/2023 at 12:06 AM, Dave1291 said:

Love the concept of cd's first then buying the LP's. 

That too. Or I buy the CDs if I like the LP a lot. UKs UKfor example, because the LP isn´ t as clean as I would like, which doesen´t mean I won´t spin it anymore!!

I also like it when the CD contains a few bonus-tracks, again said UK for example. Then there´ s the differences in mixing of CDs and LPs, if I can hear them... Probably this approach will work only if the LP is recorded from analouge source. Recent LPs are friom digital masters too, right? So there probably won´t be that much of a difference soundwise. 

If Ibuy CDs nowadays, it´s because they are cheaper (more so used ones). If I like what I hear, I will try the LP too. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Full Range said:

I have a new LP Tubular Bells that is a bit iffy sound wise 

Have given it an ultrasound clean and has improved a little 

So I’m going to give the glue deep cleaning method a try 

I’ve used Titebond II before to clean some records that I thought were trashed and it worked wonders.

• Like 4

I blame all you guys for this! This thread is so inspiring... And draining my wallet! 

Now I found out Blue Note has an official website and store in France, which is 6km from where I live.... 

The classic series is mastered from analogue sources, btw... 

Screenshot_20230302_135510_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Hmmmmmmm, Oh Meloone the camel case is closed remember? 

That Blue Note store 6 klicks away sounds promising.  Could be a great place for dumpster diving.  Might just want to check it out when you hit the place.  You could find some display items to put in the garage sale section that they trashed for some reason.  Life's about cash flow isn't it?  :)

You WILL be going to the Diana Krall show right?  Take a few albums for her to sign.  More money...  Make sure to have her personalize one to "KROCK" since he listens to her before bed.  Tell her the back story as she's signing and watch her draw those lil hearts all over that jacket for him.  He's got money to burn when it comes to her...  😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Spun this on the office system with the Heresy’s as I was finishing up work just now.

this was one of the albums that I’ve cleaned with Titebond wood glue.

Its still a used album that has obviously seen a lot of action but it went from unlistenable to not bad at all beyond a small scratch right at the end of Limelight.B50DD149-07D3-47F3-A9DD-482CA1827C25.thumb.jpeg.7719973303d8f0cc099117b36c7231ca.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

Hmmmmmmm, Oh Meloone the camel case is closed remember? 

That Blue Note store 6 klicks away sounds promising.  Could be a great place for dumpster diving.  Might just want to check it out when you hit the place.  You could find some display items to put in the garage sale section that they trashed for some reason.  Life's about cash flow isn't it?  :)

You WILL be going to the Diana Krall show right?  Take a few albums for her to sign.  More money...  Make sure to have her personalize one to "KROCK" since he listens to her before bed.  Tell her the back story as she's signing and watch her draw those lil hearts all over that jacket for him.  He's got money to burn when it comes to her...  😂

Funny, I just finished 13LPs of Dianna to break in the new cart. 20 hrs of low end sadness.

Oh, & BTW, that show is on my B-Day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KROCK said:

Oh, & BTW, that show is on my B-Day!

Got him Melo!!!  An added bonus, "It's his birthday today and I wanted to send him this." Birthday ya might get BONUS hearts.  Ya got him thinking about it already.  Now reel him in niiiiiiice and slow.   😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Right next door to the school where I teach, there's a 'Freak Out!' pre-owned vinyl record and book shop. It's small, but the shopkeeper knows his business. 

Today, I think I really hit the jackpot:

Original pressings (=no bar codes) of Joe Jackson's 1979 Look Sharp! with the hit 'Is she really going out with him' and Pink Floyd's 1969 Soundtrack from the film MORE, a French 1978 reissue

PSX_20230303_141226.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bubo said:

Learned something new, a PF lp I was unaware of.

Let us know how it sounds.....

More is the first PF album after Syd Barrett was ousted from the band and David Gilmore does all the singing. He's very confident IMHO. 

The movie's story is situated on the isle of Ibiza, and drug use is one of the main themes. It only took PF two weeks to record and they had a rough cut of the movie in order to match the song length to the movie scenes, for which they used a stop watch. 

Some tracks are like soundscapes, while other tracks are finished 'songs'. 

I actually like it better than Obscured by Clouds, their other soundtrack, because More forms a concept, while OBC is like a collection of separate songs. Just my 2 cents... 

My fav track is More Blues

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4