FIRST MEMBERSHIP LEVELS ANNOUNCED.

24 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Museum officially opened today

Not without you and the OldMan from day one.

I see this would have NOT happened without you and deet taking aim and taking no prisoners.

PWK is giving you guys a :emotion-21: from the next world.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, minermark said:

Not without you and the OldMan from day one.

I see this would have NOT happened without you and deet taking aim and taking no prisoners.

PWK is giving you guys a :emotion-21: from the next world.

Mark,

It has literally taken a small army to accomplish this feat. We have had so many people that have been indispensable to this effort. I can't even attempt to list them all, because I would certainly miss someone in that process. 

The support of forum members, Klipsch corporate employees, former Klipsch employees and members from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters Klipsch Owners Facebook group has been overwhelming. We have had attorneys, CPAs, and other non profit entities all step up and give advice. 

The Executive Committee for KHMA meets once a week to plan, organize and direct every detail, including each and every financial expenditure. It's been a true learning experience for all of us. I can tell you that we have a very diverse Executive Committee which has greatly enabled us in "leading the charge"!  It has not been without its ups and downs, however at the end of the day each of us realizes the importance of what we have been tasked with. 

Our Board of Trustees meets quarterly with Special Meetings when necessary. Our annual membership and BOT meetings will be held in conjunction the annual Pilgrimage. 

It is truly an honor and a privilege to work on this effort. As a start up 501c3 we have accomplished more than we imagined possible when we were still in our "working group" meetings. Our efforts during those nine months (leading up to the official transfer in 12/16) in the working group gave us a firm foundation in establishing our vision and mission. Every decision we make as an Executive Committee and ultimately as Trustees always begs the question, "Is this decision furthering our mission and vision?".

• Like 1

Spearheading the cause is why i was kicking Kudos your direction.

Of course we would NOT be where we are today without the rest of these fine people stepping up.

Thad had about the best comment as to "Kind of keeping us updated" and accounting for the actions of the Museum.

I agree, i know you will, when you have time.......

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As follow up to Support the Museum it does seem the enthusiasm following the April Pilgrimage has all but disappeared.

Very little has been provided on - 

- donation total to date

- donation expenditures

- those who have donated

- plans for future promotion 

- etc.

We all have busy lives and the unexpected always seem to pile on. For me, roof/leak, downed trees, limb disposal, insurance issues for the last month after several rounds of heavy storms. So yes, I do understand there are far more pressing and important things in life. But several Board members seem to have fallen uncharacteristically silent after beating the drum promoting contributions. Being one of the early adopters for the "cause" I suppose I feel a that the noble effort has no true direction. And for all that I may be, and probably am, way off base as I have no insight as to the inner workings. But I certainly see no indicators to show otherwise. And providing these details may well go a long way to further fund the project to the success it deserves.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, richieb said:

As follow up to Support the Museum it does seem the enthusiasm following the April Pilgrimage has all but disappeared.

Very little has been provided on - 

- donation total to date

- donation expenditures

- those who have donated

- plans for future promotion 

- etc.

We all have busy lives and the unexpected always seem to pile on. For me, roof/leak, downed trees, limb disposal, insurance issues for the last month after several rounds of heavy storms. So yes, I do understand there are far more pressing and important things in life. But several Board members seem to have fallen uncharacteristically silent after beating the drum promoting contributions. Being one of the early adopters for the "cause" I suppose I feel a that the noble effort has no true direction. And for all that I may be, and probably am, way off base as I have no insight as to the inner workings. But I certainly see no indicators to show otherwise. And providing these details may well go a long way to further fund the project to the success it deserves.

There is a post with all donors and their corresponding membership classification in this section. Also, most if not all of us that attended the four day work week are still in recovery mode from the ninety plus degree temperatures at the Watermelon Festival and the four day work weekend at the museum. The folks that were there working can attest to the sweltering heat which greatly affected everyone. 

There is also a post detailing the work that was scheduled to be done during the Volunteer Work Week.  For the most part, all goals were met or exceeded prior to and during that four day work weekend. 

Trailer painted 

Steam pipes contributing to foooding of basement sealed 

Previous non operational central air unit removed from outside of building

Gutters repaired/painted in rear section of museum. Extensions put on downspouts to direct water away from building. 

Low section in driveway partially filled to redirect water away from stairwell 

Old awning over pre existing air conditioning removed 

New aluminum awning purchased installed the length of the building, in the north side of the building covering the stairwell. 

Second window air conditioning unit purchased and installed

Bathroom in museum repaired and fully operational

New sump pump purchased and installed

60 yards of fill soil delivered, tractor rented, 30 yards spread to improve grade around building before rain set in

Basement partially cleaned out and trash hauled off. 

Industrial shelving moved into basement 

All of this plus more was accomplished. As stated before a huge shout out to @ssh, @guywithwine, @hogwylde09, @pappyIII, @Ole Dollar, @kharmondds, @JRH, @dtel and @Chief bonehead for all the help. 

@guywithwine and @Ole Dollar singlehandedly took care of the Watermelon Festival Booth, with @JRH assisting with set up and pick up each day. 

To the rest of you, y'all rocked that four day work weekend. 

Pics to follow. 

In addition, there is an telephonic Executive Committee meeting two to three times a month to determine the direction the Museum is heading. These meeting generally consist of Jim Hunter, Curator/president, Kevin Harmon, Vice President, myself, Secretary, Stacey Atchison, Treasurer/CPA, Seti, Board Member, Richard Groves and Travis Williamson, legal counsel. These meeting generally last close to two hours. Additionally, our Board of Directors meet several times a year with our next Board Meeting scheduled for October. 

I can assure you this noble effort has direction. Perks for Founding Members are finally being processed, new membership classes are being established, our website is nearly populated, grants have been applied for, social media outlets are being utilized, we are in the early stages of establishing a building fund, our Treasurer/CPA is in the preliminary stages of preparing our 990 return for the IRS. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, richieb said:

The update is appreciated and shows much has been accomplished. This type of positive reinforcement can only help stimulate continued and needed contributions. 

Thank you --

I know I left out some of the other work that has been accomplished, as well as purchases that are critical to our infrastructure, such as software, computers, insurance, security/alarm system, wifi service, brochures that are placed in tourist areas, such as the rest area, Old Washington, etc. 

Also, the plexiglass Khorn is now back in Hope...not sure if it was there for the Pilgrimage. We also acquired some additional artifacts. 

The museum in now open three days a week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

Pics. 

IMG_5602.JPG

IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5606.JPG

IMG_5607.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5610.JPG

IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5612.JPG

IMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5616.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5618.JPG

OK boys and girls - blow some of that dust out of your wallets and help the cause. The $25, $50, $100 donations add up to real money. Put off that extra tube or amp (can't believe I am saying that!). The proof is in the pudding.

I hesitated posing the question but glad I followed through. Good info and photos provided.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, dtel's wife said:

FOUNDERS' CLUB MEMBERS

LEFT CHANNEL

@guywithwine

@pappyIII

@jwc

@Ole Dollar

@ssh

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters

@mikebse2a3

RIGHT CHANNEL

@picky

@eq_shadimar

@richieb

@Fjd

@cincymatin honor of @Boxx

@Cstrau

KhornCorps Members 

@pappyIII

@DoubleJ

@kharmondds 

@pappyIII in honor of @ssh

@pappyIII in honor of dtel and dtel's wife

@Schu

@Wardsweb

Christy Luquet

Secretary/Trustee

Chairman Membership Committee 

Klipsch Heritage Museum Association. 

Does this list need to be updated?

• Like 1

After I read all the great museum weekend update information with pictures posted by @dtel's wife I figured I should give an update on the Hope Watermelon Festival where Klipsch had a booth that weekend as well. Below are some pictures taken Friday morning before things got rolling.

Booth_Far.thumb.JPG.eb67ca07d12ae197e6b5a0acc859716d.JPGFestival-2.thumb.JPG.6f6e94d9cbf1b58ba0562b55d7a07de8.JPGFestival-1.thumb.JPG.b392ae6ebbb32272cdd7bd9d7ed3c2b2.JPG

The Historian worked each morning with the volunteers to unload the trailer and place the PWK artifacts on the displays to be ready for business by 9 AM. Some of the items on display included a one of a kind Plexiglas K-Horn made in 1971 by PWK, another Klipsch employee, and a local artist experienced with plastics. In a picture showing PWK building the K-Horn he can be seen in his Stetson which was on display to the left of the K-Horn. Another display contained additional PWK personal items as well as some vintage marketing materials. Additionally, a piece of an anniversary K-Horn was on display showing the fine woodgrain and finish.

My first day at the Festival was Friday and I worked it with @guywithwine. After the booth was ready to go The Historian headed for the museum to do the heavy lifting. While I got to know @guywithwine better we met many people curious about Klipsch as well as some who owned Klipsch and wanted to talk about them. Along the way we raised money for the museum through donations and headphone sales. KGI donated a good supply of IEM headphones which were completely gone on Friday.

The weather was hot and humid all day and the fans did a good job of keeping us cooler. About 3 PM bad weather was moving in and we started making calls to the group at the museum where the weather was still clear. Several calls went back and forth as we did not want to abandon our post but it was looking more ominous all the time. I pretty sure we were annoying them with our issues and I say that as the volunteers at the museum were moving steel, doing carpentry work, striping and repainting, and installing gutter work. Yup, we were sitting on our *ss at the Watermelon Festival and complaining about the weather so no comparison really. Finally lightning struck very close, not even a one thousand one, decision made, pack up and split.

On Saturday, I received word that I would be at the booth alone as it was all hands on deck at the museum. Luckily there was a “The Three” in the booth and I was armed with a smart phone and an iPad both on an unlimited data plan. I met The Historian at 8 AM and we setup the booth for what turned out to be the busiest day. I picked a nice location in the shade and turned all three fans in my direction as we were having another fabulous summer day in the South.

I met many people as they stopped by to talk about walking in their neighborhood with PWK and his wife, meeting up with them in restaurants, and many times I heard “I have/had a family member that worked there”. The theme seemed to be that PWK was very approachable and enjoyed being part of the community. Speaking of community many turned out to take pictures at the BS button sign next to the booth. I must admit I was not sure how that sign would be received when I first saw it. The Festival wrapped up around 6 PM and with the return of The Historian we packed up the booth and loaded it into the trailer.

There is one thing I am still trying to figure out though. This is no lie, a local law enforcement officer walked up to me about 2 PM and said to me “is this your bulls*** sign. Wanting to avoid jail I paused before I answered, with age comes wisdom, and then I said, “it belongs to the Klipsch Museum”. With that he walked over to the sign and tilted it up to look behind it. After I realized he was not reaching for his handcuffs I learned that Klipsch has been involved in treasure or scavenger hunts. A question for another day.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Awesome write up on the event!  

By the way, there's s local guy in Hope that gives away a couple of thousand dollars every year during the Watermelon Festival. It's done as a scavenger hunt with a lot of the locals participating. Clues are given at regular intervals until the money is found. 

Christy!

12 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

By the way, there's s local guy in Hope that gives away a couple of thousand dollars every year during the Watermelon Festival. It's done as a scavenger hunt with a lot of the locals participating. Clues are given at regular intervals until the money is found. 

That explains it, but now I realize I should have been searching for the money. :)