What I Got Today!

Brac

Glad YOU are OK!

Did they cover your loss?

Thank you.

No I actually didn't spend the time to do anything yet. No warranty, tv was bought 6-28-13 and I bought a laptop at same time and bought the extended warranty for it...not the tv, I still cannot understand why I would had bought for one and not the other...I believe my fiancé is responsible for that

Last week lightening struck through the window and hit my 14 month old tv, bdp, processor and eq($1500+ loss)...I finished replacing the 4 of these today with a couple very nice audio scores. And still looking to get a better bluray player yet again my audio/video room is full on hard core ready for anything. Ooooh what a feeling! Heck I felt like I got hit by lightening for about a day(b4 and after the lightening strike haha)..

So a note to all reading lightening can strike through a window and directly torch anything(anything meaning at least tv, bdp, eq or processor) that's plugged in to any power conditioner or at least the $50 monster av750(used for modem, router, tv and bdp only) which is/was guaranteed for $400,000 lol

Most important... You were not hurt.  I'm glad that you are OK...

• Like 1

Last week lightening struck through the window and hit my 14 month old tv, bdp, processor and eq($1500+ loss)...

Geez! I have never heard of that!  :blink:

I'm glad you're OK.  Were you home when this happened?  That would scare the crap out of you!

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Last week lightening struck through the window and hit my 14 month old tv, bdp, processor and eq($1500+ loss)...

I'm glad you're OK.  Were you home when this happened?  That would scare the crap out of you!

Lightning hit the metal flashing around the chimney in my old house.  Yes, we were home.  It sounded like a grenade going off in the attic.  My wife swears she saw it go down the hallway.  Somehow or another, it got into the cable, phone and electrical lines.  Took out a bunch of electronics and blew a hole about a foot across in out roof.  There were shingles scattered all over our back yard.

Last week lightening struck through the window and hit my 14 month old tv, bdp, processor and eq($1500+ loss)...I finished replacing the 4 of these today with a couple very nice audio scores. And still looking to get a better bluray player yet again my audio/video room is full on hard core ready for anything. Ooooh what a feeling! Heck I felt like I got hit by lightening for about a day(b4 and after the lightening strike haha)..

So a note to all reading lightening can strike through a window and directly torch anything(anything meaning at least tv, bdp, eq or processor) that's plugged in to any power conditioner or at least the $50 monster av750(used for modem, router, tv and bdp only) which is/was guaranteed for $400,000 lol

Good to hear you and the family are OK.

Lightning hit the metal flashing around the chimney in my old house. Yes, we were home. It sounded like a grenade going off in the attic. My wife swears she saw it go down the hallway. Somehow or another, it got into the cable, phone and electrical lines. Took out a bunch of electronics and blew a hole about a foot across in out roof. There were shingles scattered all over our back yard.

Sometimes we feel safe in our homes and then you hear these type of freak  events.  As long as, no one is hurt, the material things can be replaced.

spent all weekend preclearing drives, transferring data, and reconfiguring plugins, but I'm nearly there. having to RMA one of the new drives so I can have parity protection, but otherwise this picture makes my shorts feel smaller..

Screen%20Shot%202014-09-01%20at%201.10.4

I haven't forgotten about you Carl, just been a bit preoccupied.

Altec 707

A nice gentleman in Southern Colorado has been holding this for me for several months and he drove up to Denver today to deliver.

I haven't found much of anything online about this tube stereo.  I quickly brought it home and disconnected the Dynaco ST70 and hooked her up in the office to some Cornwalls.  Everything seems to be working and sounds great.  And unlike the Dynaco, at least I can adjust the bass and treble for the different styles/quality source music I'm playing.  I'm currently listening to some vintage Yellowjackets.  Need to find something with strings and horns.

I was wondering since this this is so old, if I should have it serviced before the thing starts on fire, or just continue to listen to it as is.

altec707.png

• Like 2

Yes, definitely have it serviced. There is a photofact available here for $5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTEC-LANSING-707A-TUNER-RECEIVER-PHOTOFACT-PHOTOFACTS-/320453273158

If you run it before a service, you are in danger of damaging the transformers and more. It will likely need new electrolytic capacitors and new coupling caps. All the information for these is available in the photofact mentioned above. Your service guy may or may not have this information.

edit: PS, this is a pretty rare receiver. I looked all through Radio Museum (of which I am a member), and it isn't mentioned.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Yes, definitely have it serviced. There is a photofact available here for $5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTEC-LANSING-707A-TUNER-RECEIVER-PHOTOFACT-PHOTOFACTS-/320453273158

If you run it before a service, you are in danger of damaging the transformers and more. It will likely need new electrolytic capacitors and new coupling caps. All the information for these is available in the photofact mentioned above. Your service guy may or may not have this information.

edit: PS, this is a pretty rare receiver. I looked all through Radio Museum (of which I am a member), and it isn't mentioned.

Thanks.  I bought that manual earlier this week.  I'm currently listening to Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out and it sounds great.  I guess I better shut down and have it looked at.  I have a LaScalas in my living room, and University Classics in my basement home theater which were made around the same time as the receiver that I wanted to hear it through.

man. I miss posts quite a bit...

Thanks everyone, nobody hurt. just lost money that was never meant to be spent...a tv should last at least 3 years these days id figure.

Nobody hurt but it blows my mind how it happened. We were home...it was about 3am on fri morn 2 weeks ago now...and yeah pretty loud

Theres a nice new sliding door to a porch behind the tv...The lightening hit a big lightpole ouback went through patio furniture(lol??)struck through the blinds onto and through the tv to a stack of gear to the left of it stopping on an older crown amp apparently..everything was attached to a beginner monster conditioner id call it..the monster av750. Quite a bit of other gear under it including the crown amp was on a good old furman conditioner...

Idk..im not so sold on any conditioner in this situation. if lightening hits it the thing aint gonna work. The tv did smell burnt up...now my fiancé hollars if theres heat lightening or anything now. im just gonna chill ya know...it stormed last night and lightening was hitting quite a bit out back...I have some things I may use as shields. I really don't want to burn another tv up. I hate the store. even if things are free I don't want nothing to do with the store. guess I better put some substantial plastic behind there to shield from lightening.

Any ideas holler?

• Like 1

Thanks.  I bought that manual earlier this week.  I'm currently listening to Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out and it sounds great.  I guess I better shut down and have it looked at.  I have a LaScalas in my living room, and University Classics in my basement home theater which were made around the same time as the receiver that I wanted to hear it through.

While you are waiting on the service you can do some stuff. When I get an old model, I remove the knobs and the faceplate, and clean them up. The glass has probably never been cleaned on the back side. Be very careful that you don't damage anything. Clean up the case, and replace bulbs etc if there are any.

Basically, you can make the unit look a lot better right now, and you may enjoy doing that as much as I do.

Here's what a little cleaning can do:

IMG_0770.jpgIMG_0804.jpg

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 5

Lightning hit the metal flashing around the chimney in my old house.  Yes, we were home.  It sounded like a grenade going off in the attic.  My wife swears she saw it go down the hallway.  Somehow or another, it got into the cable, phone and electrical lines.  Took out a bunch of electronics and blew a hole about a foot across in out roof.  There were shingles scattered all over our back yard.

Wow! Hmmmm....Now im getting nervous again lol(not really funny but I gotta try to keep at least a smile about this deal)

We're getting out of this hog hole we live in next march I cant wait....I didn't know/realize my fiancé was starting another year lease when she did. Locations for work and accesability(gm plant right down the road, if you have a gm truck it came out of my bk yard, if its Toyota im pretty close as well)We went month to month from jan-march this year...the place I live now is the lowest in standards iv ever lived in my life. Some kinda quad duplex craphole lol its clean and cheap but my list of complaints is a page long. The only reason we're here now is cause its a rental and I don't have to do anything myself. Owe yea and the big one...I can play music and party 24/7 lol(not really but we can play music very loud...regardless its low standards. No bugs or mold lol but its a bit cheap

gotta mention iv had a couple mortgages, not my sack lol too much to take care of. my folks own the home my great grandfather and the 1 my granpa built so some day i'll have to deal with them places unless my sister wants them. whatever...lightening sucks(or strikes) and I hope it don't strike here again :mellow:

• Like 1

While you are waiting on the service you can do some stuff. When I get an old model, I remove the knobs and the faceplate, and clean them up. The glass has probably never been cleaned on the back side. Be very careful that you don't damage anything. Clean up the case, and replace bulbs etc if there are any.

Basically, you can make the unit look a lot better right now, and you may enjoy doing that as much as I do.

Here's what a little cleaning can do:

IMG_0770.jpgIMG_0804.jpg

Very impressive....

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!