women with sound system

bone

For my home--I try to get the easiest equipment to use.

Easy remote--easy turn on and off.

The Denon is fairly easy and simple and it sounds nice.

The H-K was too complicated--and doesn't play online music.

The wifey likes that I take care of the entertainment unless

I'm dancing around in the buff.

She does the decorating--I do the car and entertainment system.

1 hour ago, bone said:

I HAVE FRIENDS WITH SOUND SYSTEMS, ALL MALE. I DONT KNOW ANY FEMALES WITH SOUND SYSTEMS. PLEASE RESPOND

The ratio seems to be high, maybe 5:1?

• I think women, as a group, are less forgiving of high frequency distortion, so they may not be pleased by many audio systems.  On the average, they do hear very high frequencies louder than men, although this difference is diminishing now that smoking is becoming a rarity and everyone is wearing ear protection in noisy workplaces and home workshops, when shooting, etc.  My daughter vastly prefers the roll-off of Audyssey Reference (- 2dB at 10K, -6dB at 20K, plus a 2 dB dip at about 2.5K) to Audyssey Flat.
  • That being said, I have known a good number of women with sound systems.  There were several women in the stereo recording course I took (back in the late '70s!) as well as the course titled "Discover your Ears."   One couldn't afford a good system, but would come over to my place with recordings to play on my (then) JBLs, LOUDLY, and even, occasionally, sit on one of the speaker enclosures to "feel the music." 
  • Some don't get the fascination with building electronics or speaker enclosures, but some do.  An girlfriend of the deep past helped me in building JBL C34 rear loaded horn enclosures.  My wife built two (small) synthesizers, built all of our diffusers, and helped me install the AK4 upgrade in our Klipschorns.  She helped design, build and optimize the HT/music room, and was often "the brains of the outfit."  There is no WAF in our home.  She loves the appearance of the Khorns, as well as the sound. 
  • It may or may not be true that more men than women like very high SPL.  But, all of the women mentioned in this post like it LOUD, and some have been known to say, "Turn it up!"

50 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

because you are hard of hearing thanks to your manly sound system.  Do you know any deaf women to hook up with?  (with sound systems)

I keep looking for my dream girl..... she's 4ft tall, has a flat head and pistol grip ears.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Hope I didn't offend anyone..... on my 3rd. royal salute highball. stuff is smooth, hard to sip, especially w/o a cigar.

No offense here but I'm male, 6'1", round head and more Spock like ears. But the females clicking for new Forum memberships is at an all time high. Well done - 

• Like 1

Seriously, women seem to understand the primacy of the music over the hardware.  I know several women who appreciate equipment better than a Bose Wave Macine to enjoy their music, but are more interested in the music than the delivery system, which, IMO, is the appropriate prioritization.

This forum has a few distaff members. Lisa, @meagain, comes to mind.  She appreciates Klipsch Heritage.  My bride, on the other hand, is content listening to her Mannheim Steamroller through Spotify and a Bluetooth connection to a Klipsch iGroove hiding under an end table in our small living room.  

In my wife's opinion, the iGroove delivers 80%+ of what my wall of speakers in the basement provides.  She's not obsessed with chasing that final 20%.

A related anecdote concerns my wife's stereo system when we got married.  As a single teacher in Chicago, she purchased a "system" from Pacific Stereo.  In the 70s, it was a common practice to sell packages that contained crappy speakers so that the other components could appear to be "discounted" while preserving margins.

They sold her a decent Sherwood receiver and Garrard turntable with a Shure cartridge combined with absolutely junk no-name 2-way speakers.  The enclosures were vinyl clad particle board.  The "woofers" were 8 inch paper plates with refrigerator magnets.  The "tweeters" were 1" paper cones.  Each "crossover" consisted of a single capacitor in line with the tweeter.  To her, they sounded fine, but, IMO, it was criminal to sell such packages.

Face it, women don't suffer from testosterone poisoning.  Just as you don't need a Ferrari to drive to the store, you don't need thousands of dollars of equipment to enjoy music.  Perhaps Christy, @dtel's wife, and her family, @dtel's daughter, @dtel's niece will share their perspectives.