Charles Manson Dead at 83

Ceptorman

18 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

He died yesterday after a long illness. They should have executed him years ago and saved millions of dollars. I never understood why the media kept him in the spotlight. 

I agree they should have executed him but totally understand why his and his followers crimes are still legendary. 

You can say the same things about the rest of his group who did his bidding and the killings.  Susan Atkins is the only one who died in prison, all the others are still alive and still incarcerated.  Saw a documentary last night about Steve McQueen and the movie "Le Mans", where it was stated that McQueen was on Manson't list for killing, and apparently McQueen was supposed to have been at Sharon Tate's home that evening, but didn't show for some reason.

37 minutes ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

Yep. They could, should,  have saved themselves 40 years of room/board and put down the POS. 

I would have liked for Manson to be treated exactly as he acted, but that was not possible.  I agree with what you are saying, but the knee jerk reaction is not always the best path.

Had he been given the death penalty, there would have been years and years of appeals and legal process at great expense, more than keeping him alive.  Moreover, it would have given him years of additional attention and headlines which he craved.  Publicity was probably his only pleasure left, why give him what he wanted?  Better to let him rot in jail for years. 

Now if they could have quietly put him in solitary confinement for all of that time...:emotion-14:

• Like 1

"Manson’s body currently sits in Corcoran State Prison where he was serving a life sentence. Manson had no designated next of kin, according to the Associated Press, and no requested funeral instructions. California law states that if no family member or legal representatives show up to claim his body, the California Corrections Department determines whether to cremate or bury Manson. TMZ reported that he will be cremated if no one claims his body. The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation told the International Business Times that they would comply with the law but would not specify how."