Death & Eternity

JJkizak

Thinking about death and eternity now that I am old. Death seems so finite with total non existence. Eternity seems to be the problem with  the prospect of living for a billion, trillion years in your pure energy state , what are you going to do--- drink beer and bullcrap with your buddies?  Maybe for 100 years but longer I can't handle it because there aren't enough stories.

JJK

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Thinking about death and eternity now that I am old. Death seems so finite with total non existence. Eternity seems to be the problem with  the prospect of living for a billion, trillion years in your pure energy state , what are you going to do--- drink beer and bullcrap with your buddies?  Maybe for 100 years but longer I can't handle it because there aren't enough stories.

JJK

Perhaps, the mind will be perfectly still and at rest in your pure energy state, neither interested in telling stories or hearing them and the passage of time will not be noticed either, so, easily handled.  As another possibility. 

• Like 1

What feels like an eternity .............

Waiting for a grand child to fall asleep.

Being placed on hold and having to listen to bad music.

Waiting for the IT guy to get the server back up with an office full of people that cannot function without a computer.

Sitting in the emergency room with an injured child waiting for the doctor.

Seriously though, eternity is a concept that the human mind cannot comprehend. Just look at the stars on a moonless night in a place void of light pollution.

The stars in the sky are uncountable.

Space appears to be infinitely large to us mortals who can feel so infinitely small.

Time has no meaning in the concept of eternity.

• Like 1

While it may pacify some to think of a transition take place after death, once the spirit leaves the body and the body ceases to function,  the only effect ones spirit has is on those living souls that can still remember the departed.

You may creste something that outlasts your own life... like a piece of art, a piece of music or a change in ideology... and you may influence other life's (including those of other species)... but in as far as your own life, it's over. Life is for the living.

Everlasting soul isn't a thing... it's just an idea.

There's no captain of the ship, no one's coming back to rescue you, you are all alone.

Karma does play a roll in life, but it's not as influential as many believe... good things still happen to bad people, innocent life's are ended by chance encounters and traumatic event's.

55 minutes ago, Schu said:

While it may pacify some to think of a transition take place after death, once the spirit leaves the body and the body ceases to function,  the only effect ones spirit has is on those living souls that can still remember the departed.

You may creste something that outlasts your own life... like a piece of art, a piece of music or a change in ideology... and you may influence other life's (including those of other species)... but in as far as your own life, it's over. Life is for the living.

Everlasting soul isn't a thing... it's just an idea.

There's no captain of the ship, no one's coming back to rescue you, you are all alone.

And your proof of this theory?

4 hours ago, babadono said:

"Vanity of vainities, All is vanity and a chase after wind" says Qoheleth

For those who may not know, Qoheleth is often thought to be Solomon.

I can't put my finger on the quote right now, but he said something awfully like "Go with the flow."

The book of Ecclesiastes is sometimes regarded as the earliest lengthy expression of (theistic) existentialism.

As to Eternity, maybe those who dwell in it stand outside of time.  Is time a human construct to begin with (no pun intended)?  

There are certain things that, at the moment, or perhaps forever, are beyond our comprehension.   On the other hand, try explaining a DVD to an early Homo sapiens Yet we can understand it. 

There may be some phenomena that we can apprehend intuitively, or have feelings about, that are numinous, but are still ineffable.

As Feynman said, "I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics."  But as Hawking added, quantum physics "agrees with observation.  It has never failed a test, and it has been tested more than any theory in science."  This even though "re- normalization," part of the process of making sense of infinities that are involved in quantum physics, is, according to Hawking, "mathematically dubious."   Here there is a rational failure, but an empirical success. 

Maybe some of the joy of eternal existence, rather than telling stories, or drinking beer, will be understanding more, and more, and more ... with the aspects multiplying geometrically.

"For now we see through a glass, darkly ... now I know in part ... but then I shall know even as I am known."

Avoiding anything remotely religious, I'd comment that through certain non-spiritual philosophers I've learned what appears to logically be an absolute. A temporal being, such as a human, cannot even for a moment comprehend non-temporality. One of the Chinese masters, in fact, says the moment you think you can you have drifted into self delusion. This took years for me to digest, but I've come to realize, as has been mentioned, that one can know the answer to "eternity" only through crossing from temporal planes to non-temporal planes. So, one might as well relax and not worry over it. Might add that these folks also agree that non-temporal beings are no more capable of understanding temporal beings that we are able to comprehend them. Some religions have built their theology on that idea.

Dave

Should add to JJKizak that "telling stories" is possible only in a temporal existence as the passage of time is required. IF one can exist in a non-temporal plane one telling stories or having a beer isn't going to happen.

In the words of the old song "In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here."

Dave

We're all made of star dust ... nothing special ... just a lucky combination of elements.  And millions of other "life-forms" throughout the Universe. :D  Jeez ... morbid post :( You better finish that beer/wine/alcohol now :D