Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

49 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

My statement was incomplete..........I should have said: Compared to any live acoustic performance, stereo is just an illusion that attempts to replicate the live experience, but always falls short.

This is true but my comment was not made with you specifically in mind. Next Friday I hope to have something done here you might like.

1 hour ago, Tizman said:

In a double blind test, most audiophiles can’t distinguish between a Republican and.a Democrat based on their posts on online forums.  

47 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Try me

=== no, actually Tiz is correct. Depending on their re-election cycle they will say one thing and do the other. Next time they will do the other and say one thing. Two faced and get little to nothing of substance accomplished. Red or Blue put em in bag, shake em up and end with the bag having accomplished more than the contents — 

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

My statement was incomplete..........I should have said: Compared to any live acoustic performance, stereo is just an illusion that attempts to replicate the live experience, but always falls short.

And the only comparison we can make (unless we set up a live v.s. reproduced test) is what we hear from the equipment v.s. the imagined original.

7 hours ago, Tizman said:

In a double blind test, most audiophiles can’t distinguish between a Republican and.a Democrat based on their posts on online forums.  

Please leave politics out of this thread - that is, of course, unless you're trying to get it locked down.

2 hours ago, garyrc said:

And the only comparison we can make (unless we set up a live v.s. reproduced test) is what we hear from the equipment v.s. the imagined original.

That may actually be the problem with some people tested.  Too busy listening to the music and trying to use their imagination vs listening to the equipment.  The bad part is if they can't tell the difference between the illusions, then they might as well buy little Bose cubes.  Basically poor and uneducated listeners likely not having paid enough attention to the equipment side of the equation.  Being that the audio store is going the way of the dinosaur, I don't think that's going to get any better.

Beginners:  A few other audiophile notions you can easily test:

• Speaker break-in.  Once you buy your speakers set both right beside each other.  Hook one up and let it play all night.  Next day, hook the other up and now switch between the two using a mono recording and the balance control.  Hear one iota of difference?   Perhaps not all golden-ears, but many will tell you that speakers will sound dramatically different after break-in.
  • Interconnect/ Speaker cables:  Again, put both speakers right beside each other.  Hook fancy/ expensive cable to one channel, hook generic/ inexpensive cable to the other.  Again, using a mono song and your balance control switch back and forth.  Again, do you hear one iota of difference?

8 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Yet, most people can recognize a voice they haven't heard in 10 or 20 years, after hearing a two word phone greeting.

A few months ago I saw a nephew for the first time in a year and noticed immediately how much his voice had changed.  ..I made a comment to his mom and she said, "Really?  I haven't noticed."

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Beginners:  A few other audiophile notions you can easily test:

• Speaker break-in.  Once you buy your speakers set both right beside each other.  Hook one up and let it play all night.  Next day, hook the other up and now switch between the two using a mono recording and the balance control.  Hear one iota of difference?   Perhaps not all golden-ears, but many will tell you that speakers will sound dramatically different after break-in.
  • Interconnect/ Speaker cables:  Again, put both speakers right beside each other.  Hook fancy/ expensive cable to one channel, hook generic/ inexpensive cable to the other.  Again, using a mono song and your balance control switch back and forth.  Again, do you hear one iota of difference?

So what happens when your "beginner" tries these two tests and clearly hears a difference?

Is he lying?

An idiot?

A charlatan?

Should we give him 40 lashes with zip cord?

Shakey

Beginner or not... an improvement or not... an audible difference is that, a difference.

Someone will bring up psychoacoustics... that's the point, we all hear and enjoy different sound, even only marginal, and perhaps immeasurable, differences.

25 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

So what happens when your "beginner" tries these two tests and clearly hears a difference?

Is he lying?

An idiot?

A charlatan?

Should we give him 40 lashes with zip cord?

Shakey

I'd say now swap the left/ right leads just to make sure you're not hearing a channel imbalance - ie., one plays louder than the other.  ..Other than that, what's there to say?   So they hear a difference.  At least they can make the claim after having applied an iota of scientific rigor.  And an "iota" is about all that it would be because there's still plenty of opportunity for bias to intrude.  But at least it's a comparison made w/ levels matched AND made quickly.

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

Speaker break-in.  Once you buy your speakers set both right beside each other.  Hook one up and let it play all night.  Next day, hook the other up and now switch between the two using a mono recording and the balance control.  Hear one iota of difference?   Perhaps not all golden-ears, but many will tell you that speakers will sound dramatically different after break-in.

This is going to depend on the drivers in the speaker.  For example, a high efficiency full range driver with a low xmax and a rigid surround does loosen up somewhat and sound different in my experience.  The result is a more balanced overall sound compared to out of the box.  Specifically, there is more low end when broken in.  This is also more likely to be noticeable because one driver is reproducing the full range (or most of it), so changes in frequency response will be more noticeable.  I would guess that the change in sound of a more normal DR driver, with a more compliant surround, would not be as noticeable.  This is especially true if that "normal" speaker is used in a manner that limits its frequency range such as in a two, three or four way speaker with a crossover.  Have you tried this test yourself ODS123?  If so, what drivers did you use, and what was the result? 

2 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

I'd say now swap the left/ right leads just to make sure you're not hearing a channel imbalance - ie., one plays louder than the other.  ..Other than that, what's there to say?   So they hear a difference.  At least they can make the claim after having applied an iota of scientific rigor.

After 36 pages of sheer ridiculousness I have come to the conclusion that this hobby isn't much fun for you. I think needlepoint or stamp collecting might be more your speed. After all, not much can be subjective about that.

While I'm not a worshiper at the audio equipment altar, I do view components as having more worth than a dishwasher or microwave oven. Seems like they are just utilitarian for you.

Shakey

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shakeydeal said:

Seems like they are just utilitarian for you.

A McIntosh MA6600, is not about utility.  It's full on shiny.  It's utilitarian like a stretch Hummer used to take the kids to school is utilitarian.  Given ODS123's beliefs, his choice of a Sony receiver would be utilitarian.