Heresy IV

McBlueMeter

1 minute ago, Randyh said:

I just wondered that since they modified their jigs , a Pro Version of the HIV would be very easy to manufacture and this speaker will sell  , no problems -------

Jigs to manufacture a line of speakers for a company the size of Klipsch is an irrelevant and exceedingly trivial cost. Amortized over a run of speakers like the Heresy if it hit $1.50 per speaker I would be surprised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

I just wondered that since they modified their jigs , a Pro Version of the HIV would be very easy to manufacture and this speaker will sell  , no problems -------

I wouldn't hold my breath for it.  In the past, special versions have usually been cosmetic upgrades only.  I really doubt it would be profitable to bring that niche product to market. They've addressed the "elephant in the room" with the H-III, which was that it only went to 58hz. Now the H-IV goes to 48hz along with some other refinements, and I think it's going to be a big success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

48hz  ,  sweet - maybe guys who have a super heresy can tell us if they are anywhere close to that output -

They do. But it's highly dependent on corner/wall placement and at what frequency there is cabin gain where one SITS. Go look at my SH posts and curves.

just copy/paste this into the search field in the upper right and hit the loupe               Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

In terms of placement options vs. SOUND OUTPUT based on my comment above, the Heresy IV would be subject to the same variables relating to placement and listener location for a given room volume and dimensions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

IMHO, the flared ports (I use them too) are 95% Marketing, and 5% performance differential over pure cylindrical tubes or shelves. As PWK might have said "not a dime's worth of difference," similar to when I asked him why they were using Monster Cable in 1985 Khorn Networks, his reply: "It's from our marketing people, it's a waste of good copper just to drive a 30 AWG voice coil."

But I do admit that they look very COOL cosmetically speaking!

Something to look at if you don't think flaring the port ends help much  >link<

The link applies to subs but the same rule applies to woofers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jason str said:

Something to look at if you don't think flaring the port ends help much  >link<

The link applies to subs but the same rule applies to woofers.

Thanks for the link. He says that inside flare can be smaller radius than outside flare by 20%. My inside radius is ZERO. His tests use a max port size of 85mm, my port is 101 mm. AND the port is tuned to 54 Hz. which hardly a challenge compared to frequencies ranging from 35-20 Hz. in his test, which move a heck of a lot more air at much higher velocities.

Since the diameter of the port I use is huge, there should be no audible chuffing at the frequencies involved in a Super Heresy, or the Heresy IV for that matter. Don't worry, be happy.

Also I designed a twin 15" subwoofer with tons of boost at 30 Hz. using a "shelf port" similar to an old Cornwall. There's no audible chuffing there either. I'll stick to my original point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Thanks for the link. He says that inside flare can be smaller radius than outside flare by 20%. My inside radius is ZERO. His tests use a max port size of 85mm, my port is 101 mm. AND the port is tuned to 54 Hz. which hardly a challenge compared to frequencies ranging from 35-20 Hz. in his test, which move a heck of a lot more air at much higher velocities.

Since the diameter of the port I use is huge, there should be no audible chuffing at the frequencies involved in a Super Heresy, or the Heresy IV for that matter. Don't worry, be happy.

Also I designed a twin 15" subwoofer with tons of boost at 30 Hz. using a "shelf port" similar to an old Cornwall. There's no audible chuffing there either. I'll stick to my original point.

I was not referring to any design, just your general statement about ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jason str said:

I was not referring to any design, just your general statement about ports.

I did thank you for the link. I wasn't referring to any kind of critical comment, which you didn't make. LOL.

I should have originally said "sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't, it depends."  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I did thank you for the link. I wasn't referring to any kind of critical comment, which you didn't make. LOL.

I should have originally said "sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't, it depends."  

All good Claude, no worries.

10 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

As PWK might have said "not a dime's worth of difference," similar to when I asked him why they were using Monster Cable in 1985 Khorn Networks, his reply: "It's from our marketing people, it's a waste of good copper just to drive a 30 AWG voice coil."

Might you consider dropping that info into the recent thread about Audioquest cabling in Lascalas?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, glens said:

Might you consider dropping that info into the recent thread about Audioquest cabling in Lascalas?

So you think of me as a trouble maker, eh? LOL. Nah, I only care to do it here. Birds of a feather. I don't want to have "splain nuthin to nobody" that ain't heah. I'm not trying to make more horn converts! That's what my demo room is for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

the Audioquest cabling is definitely better than lamp cord , and some of their cabling is renowned to be the best in the world by some of the greatest magazines- and Klipsch  is high end audio gear that now adds top of the line cabling -

It's not my intent to devolve this into a wire thread, but we're not talking about "runs" greater than 2 feet here...