Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
bharat

Flooded Basement - Thinking of Klipschorns

Recommended Posts

Current speakers are Forte II, pre-out of Marantz 2325 and into Marantz 8 power amplifier and very happy with the sound. Recently my finished basement was destroyed in a flood and while that absolutely sucks, it's an opportunity for me to refinish the basement to my liking and create a brand new listening room. See attached photos of the space (intend to finish prior to moving any equipment down there), a few questions:

 

1. Does the basement look large enough to do justice to K-Horns? If so, which wall would it make the most sense to place them against?

2. Do new stock K-Horns have capability to be bi-amped? Is there any reason (especially sonically) I would want to buy vintage K-horns instead of brand new?

3. Thinking of going down the McIntosh road for the longer term - perhaps running 2 x MC 275 bi-amped and the C2700 pre-amplifier. Thoughts on how this combination would sound with K-horns?

4. Finding a hard time locating certified dealers who carry K-horns in store that I could listen to, any ideas on how I might actually listen prior to buying?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Bharat

IMG-8704.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is... where are you located? There is a dealer with many heritage Klipsch models (and newer), on display in the Paducah, KY area. He posts on here regularly.

 

Bruce

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not hesitate to buy used Klipschorns.

 

While the newer models may sound better, I am skeptical that they sound that much better. Used K-Horns will have asking prces on Craigslist of $1000-3500. My guess is that the actual selling price ends up being around $2000 plus or minus about $500. The finish and cosmetic condition are the big factors along with what might be available within a 3 hr drive (you might need to be patient). The cost of new or newish K-Horns will be $8-12K.

 

In my own mind, the issue of electronics is simple. The efficiency of these is such that it is more important to worry about an amp that is quiet at low levels. I am sure that they can always sound better with better electronics, but you might be blown away by how they perform with a more modest set up.

 

Good Luck,

-Tom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bharat said:

Another photo of the basement

IMG-8703.jpg

If you have a corner to the left of the back wall I would close off the opening, build a rack in the center of the wall .Have. 20 amp dedicated line to the back wall and then put safe and sound insulation between the studs of the studs on the back and side walls.Anytime you wanted to change wires or equipment you just go behind the wall and make your changes,plus you would have no wires showing.Your room is fine for Klipschorns!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How deep was the water?  Do you want to buy speakers and expose them to this risk?

 

The ceiling also looks to be a little over seven feet high assuming that the doors are 6'8" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

How deep was the water?  Do you want to buy speakers and expose them to this risk?

 

The ceiling also looks to be a little over seven feet high assuming that the doors are 6'8" 

The root cause of the flooding has been identified and fixed. I have a couple of layers of fail safes now to ensure water does not enter the basement. I wouldn't be having this discussion if I wasn't confident that it is unlikely to happen again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marvel said:

The question is... where are you located? There is a dealer with many heritage Klipsch models (and newer), on display in the Paducah, KY area. He posts on here regularly.

 

Bruce

I just realized that it doesn't show up on my profile where I'm located, will try to update that. I am based in Maine, so KY would be a bit of a haul. VT, NH, MA are all within a 1-2hr driving radius. I am flying to NYC in early March, so that could be another possibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

audio video therapy in NH is a heritage Klipsch Dealer  but I don't think they have Khorns in stock but you could call them.

Address: 216 Daniel Webster Hwy, Nashua, NH 03060
Hours: 
Closed ⋅ Opens 11AM Tue
Phone(603) 888-9777

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TomR said:

audio video therapy in NH is a heritage Klipsch Dealer  but I don't think they have Khorns in stock but you could call them.

Address: 216 Daniel Webster Hwy, Nashua, NH 03060
Hours: 
Closed ⋅ Opens 11AM Tue
Phone(603) 888-9777

 

Thanks Tom. I tried them but no luck, they don't carry them and won't be able to bring them in for a demo either. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forum member @Brac has a pair for sale in Maine

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bharat you might want to send a PM to  @Paducah Home Theater for excellent service and great pricing on your Khorns.  Many of us have bought from him, including me.  Highly recommended.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know where a set of 70th anniversary K-horns are in West Hartford CT.  It's Aaron B,, he's probably here on the forum.  I was trying to help him out by throwing them on eBay but I'm sure he would prefer a more local in-person transaction with no shipping and to cut me out of the deal if possible.  :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

@bharat you might want to send a PM to  @Paducah Home Theater for excellent service and great pricing on your Khorns.  Many of us have bought from him, including me.  Highly recommended.

Thank you @wvu80

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

I know where a set of 70th anniversary K-horns are in West Hartford CT.  It's Aaron B,, he's probably here on the forum.  I was trying to help him out by throwing them on eBay but I'm sure he would prefer a more local in-person transaction with no shipping and to cut me out of the deal if possible.  :) 

@Paducah Home Theater PM sent!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the photos, I don't see any reasonable corners to place the Klipschorns.

 

1. If you place them on the left side of the exercise bike, the left speaker may infringe on the closet. The right speaker will be staggered; not in the same plane as the left speaker.

2. Place the Klipschorns in front of the bike, and the right speaker has no corner. Building a false corner for the right speaker would look crappy, even if it worked.

 

In your case, I think you're better off with a smaller, conventional box speaker.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bharat said:

The root cause of the flooding has been identified and fixed. I have a couple of layers of fail safes now to ensure water does not enter the basement.

 

I once made a 3/4 bath in a basement for a customer.  Installed a sanitary pit and put an extra float switch in up high so that if for any reason the pump wasn't working (or if the power went out - it was on city water), a couple of industrial fail-close solenoid valves on the hot/cold lines would ensure the water supply ceased as well.  Been a good couple decades now and no such disasters that I've been made aware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, bharat said:

Current speakers are Forte II, pre-out of Marantz 2325 and into Marantz 8 power amplifier and very happy with the sound. Recently my finished basement was destroyed in a flood and while that absolutely sucks, it's an opportunity for me to refinish the basement to my liking and create a brand new listening room. See attached photos of the space (intend to finish prior to moving any equipment down there), a few questions:

 

1. Does the basement look large enough to do justice to K-Horns? If so, which wall would it make the most sense to place them against?

2. Do new stock K-Horns have capability to be bi-amped? Is there any reason (especially sonically) I would want to buy vintage K-horns instead of brand new?

3. Thinking of going down the McIntosh road for the longer term - perhaps running 2 x MC 275 bi-amped and the C2700 pre-amplifier. Thoughts on how this combination would sound with K-horns?

4. Finding a hard time locating certified dealers who carry K-horns in store that I could listen to, any ideas on how I might actually listen prior to buying?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Bharat

IMG-8704.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the supplied pics, 6" wouldn't be enough "headroom."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...