Toolshed Amps?

Shakeydeal

Wow those have some serious eye appeal to them. I have never heard of them and I have been researching small boutique amp companies that specifically make single ended amplifiers. There are just so many small amp builders out there today it's amazing really.

I am excited to hear the engineer is a member? I'll try the search function for some threads he has made.

If I’m not mistaken a Toolshed tube amp with volume control and a Primare solid state integrated were used at a Klipsch Pilgrimage three or four year ago ? Each was A - B’d in the demo room by a Klipsch employee. I doubt this would happen today as Klipsch has teamed with Cary for the Cary Heritage line to match with Klipsch Heritage. Yes, they are lookers with great build quality.

• Like 1

Howdy all, tipped to this thread by a Klipsch customer in Des Moines................. Been busy. :) A new review dropped either late Saturday or early Sunday over at Part-time Audiophile............ here is the link in case you have interest in reading.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2022/01/28/toolshed-amps-transcendence-300b-amplifier-review/

Although the reviewer used a single, wide-band speaker, you all know I'm more of a Klipsch/Altec guy. Different strokes for different folks. ;) It's all good.

No hard feelings with Klipsch management about the Cary thing either........... Billy is a great guy and Cary has some decent product. Business is business.

Cheers!

Matt.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, ToolShedAmps said:

Howdy all, tipped to this thread by a Klipsch customer in Des Moines................. Been busy. :) A new review dropped either late Saturday or early Sunday over at Part-time Audiophile............ here is the link in case you have interest in reading.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2022/01/28/toolshed-amps-transcendence-300b-amplifier-review/

Although the reviewer used a single, wide-band speaker, you all know I'm more of a Klipsch/Altec guy. Different strokes for different folks. ;) It's all good.

No hard feelings with Klipsch management about the Cary thing either........... Billy is a great guy and Cary has some decent product. Business is business.

Cheers!

Matt.

Hi Matt, very interested in your amps, outstanding craftsmanship.

I can't find any specifications or performance information for your amps, mainly just your basic FFT  plots at say 1 watt and full output, distortion% vs frequency, and output power vs distortion. Cross talk, signal to noise, square wave response, and output impedance would also be nice to see.

Don't mind me I didn't see the 'more info' link to the amplifier. I see it says:

17Hz-35KHz +/-3db@ Less Than 1.0%THD (Exclusively 2nd Order) to 8 or 16 Ohms (Selectable)

I assume since there is no mention of power this is measured at 8 watts output, the rated output of the amplifier?

That's actually much lower distortion compared to typical 300b amplifiers, nice work. I imagine you are using the E180F in pentode mode to get enough gain for global feedback to get the distortion that low at full output? I like seeing people doing things different, people think it sacrilege to use negative feedback with an power triode output stage. Typical open loop performance from a 300b amp is 5% THD or more at 6-7 watts.