Need more power

johnq

Hello, I have a living room setup with 4 Rf-800 , 2 Rf 820 , 2 buysurround klipsch( next to be upgraded) , 1 RP 504- C  and 2 RP -1200sw. I am driving all but the Subs with an onkyo TX-NR 787. The system sounds great at full volume can't even get a whisper of distortion. Which leads me to feel I need more power for all of this. Can anyone suggest or share what kind and brand of extra amplification are best suited. Thank you kindly1

25 minutes ago, johnq said:

The system sounds great at full volume can't even get a whisper of distortion. Which leads me to feel I need more power for all of this.

???  Why would no whisper of distortion lead you to think you need more power?

Unless you mistyped something, sounds like you should be in nirvana with this.  Are you looking for more volume?  (careful with that hearing!!!!)  or, are you looking for a "bigger" sound?  Bigger speakers might give you access to both ends.

Not being familiar with most of your equipment..... I've always been speakers first, then electronics.  So listen to various speakers you might want to consider.....  figure that out and then figure out what it takes to drive them properly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, johnq said:

Hello, I have a living room setup...

The system sounds great at full volume can't even get a whisper of distortion.

Thank you kindly1

Proper hearing, the golden ear, is a learned skill set... good luck with your hearing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, johnq said:

The system sounds great at full volume can't even get a whisper of distortion. Which leads me to feel I need more power for all of this. Can anyone suggest or share what kind and brand of extra amplification are best suited.

None, if it's clean at Reference Level, then it's the endzone.  You don't want distortion - that's kind of the whole point.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, johnq said:

Hello, I have a living room setup with 4 Rf-800 , 2 Rf 820 , 2 buysurround klipsch( next to be upgraded) , 1 RP 504- C  and 2 RP -1200sw. I am driving all but the Subs with an onkyo TX-NR 787. 

your 9 channel  amplifier is only 100 wpc ,  I would seek at minimum a 200 wpc , 9 channel amp , the 2x more powerful amp will add 3dB but most important    , it will give you headroom for lower distortion levels 

• Confused 1

On 12/20/2023 at 12:40 AM, babadono said:

is OP @johnq saying he has his current receiver turned all the way up and he would like to be able to turn it up more?

He could perhaps take his trusty magic marker and put......  a 12 on the dial!  

Just skip right past 11 and go for it!!  Do a 12.

• Like 1

That receiver is probably putting out 40 watts, or so, per channel with all channels driven, so you might well use more power, though I doubt you NEED it.  Look at 5-channel power amps from Acurus, Parasound, Integra, Emotiva, Marantz, even Rotel.  Stay under 150 watts/channel, because your speakers can't handle more and these brands will be under-rated. 

Also, remember, double the power and get 3 dB more per speaker.  Three dB is a just detectable difference under loud conditions.  Meaning, even 150 w/ch will not add a shattering increase in loudness (not quite 6 dB).  But that increase may require more subwoofers in order to maintain balance. 

• Like 1

Snookery???

Back in the LATE 70's or very early 80's  I had my LaScala\s downstairs.

Long story short, I discovered I could put a Jethro Tull LP on....  and I could literally turn the dial to 100% volume.  Put a different LP on and the volume would pound you and push you out of the room.  I deduced that the Tull LP was essentially not as loud as the other LP's, lower signal level if you will.  

So, if I wanted to try to impress someone, I could put that Tull LP on, crank it to 100%, point at the dial and my pals would go wide eyed ga-ga with the volume maxed.  

I felt a little dirty doing that as I knew that was the only LP that I had that would allow me to do that but it was still fun seeing the facial expressions I got.

Coytee, you should have put on that Tull LP, then followed it with Boston, at the same volume setting.  That would have been a laugh.

BTW, did the Jethro Tull LP have more dynamic range than other records?  Less compression, so to speak?  And which Tull record was it?  Stand Up?  Or Aqualung?