Getting the La Scala Band back together - on a Budget

ShoreMedic

Hi,

I’ve finally been able to dig out my LaScalas (1983) after several decades of the rat race. I used to power them with a Soundcraftsmen RA6501/DX4200 amp/preamp combo. The amp is currently in the shop (3 decades of storage) and hopefully comes out working as it once did.

But what if it doesn’t?, I ask. I want to come up with a contingency plan, in case of the unthinkable. So I’ve started looking into modern day amplifier alternatives that will match well with my La Scalas. I May be forced to bite the bullet and settle on an Asian amp from a big box store, because I’m no longer a single guy with an unlimited toy budget.

So I ask you all if there’s an American made amplifier (with some modern conveniences) that will cleanly power my beloved La Scalas. Or will I have to settle for a big box store amp in order to get the band back together - on a budget.

The band: Nakamichi Dragon. Akai GX747. JVC QLY66F.

• Like 2

Contrary to conventional wisdom on this site, amplifiers do NOT sound the same. And buying a cheap receiver at a big box store will bear that out more than anything I can tell you. But let's hope you make the smart decision not to do such a thing.

Lascalas and tubes go together like bees and honey. Please state what your budget is and what you consider "modern conveniences" and someone here might be able to recommend a tube amp for you.

• Like 4

I really have to agree with @Shakeydeal on this one. Personally, I'm the type of person who struggles to hear differences. Speaker cables and interlinks, for example, all sound the same to me (at least from what I've tested so far), and the same goes for DACs. I've tried a few but can't really hear any differences. Where I can notice a distinction is with amps. Sometimes the differences are subtle, and other times they are quite noticeable. So, do yourself a favor and truly give the topic of amps the attention it deserves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Contrary to conventional wisdom on this site, amplifiers do NOT sound the same. And buying a cheap receiver at a big box store will bear that out more than anything I can tell you. But let's hope you make the smart decision not to do such a thing.

Lascalas and tubes go together like bees and honey. Please state what your budget is and what you consider "modern conveniences" and someone here might be able to recommend a tube amp for you.

Well. They do. And they do not

I have found the difference is in the Detail of the presentation

I used a Crown XLi800 with my LS when I hauled them out to use at a huge party, over 100 folks there.

They rocked quite well. It may be built offshore (China), but it's been wonderful. It's a tad heavier than the XLs series digital amps. 300wpc / 600 watts, bridged mono. Binding posts and Neutrik Speakon connections.  $339 at Sweetwater.

If this is for your own enjoyment you probably don't need bigger, but they have them.

When you check back in, let us know how the refurbishment goes on the Souncraftsmen gear.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

No one hardly is hearing differences in Speaker Cables.

I worked on many Studio's Zip Cotf was popular. ,😀😀😀

I * might* detect a bit harder note to some of the silver cablez

Well, if you have to believe some story's people are telling about there cables it can make or break your system 😏

You could always look into a used McIntosh or Bryston.  New Bryston gear comes backed with a 20-year warranty (non-transferable, unfortunately), so you know they have confidence in their products.

As for power, La Scalas seem to run fine with anywhere between 10 and 500 watts per channel.  Of course, how much power you need will depend on the size of your listening room, your preferred listening levels, and your choice of music.

• Like 1

I'll recommend you look at Yamaha integrated amps and receivers that are available in silver (the better quality ones).  I am initially quite pleased with the smooth, relaxed sound my R-N600ASL is producing through my H IVs.  It replaced a rebuilt 1979 Technics receiver, that was good if not pushed.  Also have a look at Marantz and also Emotiva, like the BasX TA1.  You do not need more than 50 watts.  You might be surprised at the sound of new amps as Soundcraftsman amps had a reputation for high distortion in the 0 to 5 watt range, where you will operate when you are not damaging your hearing.  What I remember is that by 10 to 20 watts they were said to be sounding pretty good. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

That's an interesting Design. 🙂

Duke, he redid the Scott LK-72A/ 299C. Looks like they would run forever.

I would love one, but I am afraid my piggybank is way too small.

• Like 1