Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

9.1 has a lot of reflection points LOL!!

Now don't get me wrong because your system looks very nice and I am jealous of all of the room you have. I've got 92 inches of space to cram the whole front in. And bare in mind I have not listened to a system like yours. Now my room is very cluttered with lots of crap so this could be taking place of the panels in a clean room like yours? But isn't surround sound designed to be reflected? Isn't that the reason for die-pole speakers? Have you ever had die-pole's in your system or listened to them to compare? I was thinking of using the RS-62 or 52 II for rear and RS-42 II for side and RS-41 or 42 II for heights.

9.1 has a lot of reflection points LOL!!

Now don't get me wrong because your system looks very nice and I am jealous of all of the room you have. I've got 92 inches of space to cram the whole front in. And bare in mind I have not listened to a system like yours. Now my room is very cluttered with lots of crap so this could be taking place of the panels in a clean room like yours? But isn't surround sound designed to be reflected? Isn't that the reason for die-pole speakers? Have you ever had die-pole's in your system or listened to them to compare? I was thinking of using the RS-62 or 52 II for rear and RS-42 II for side and RS-41 or 42 II for heights.
That is correct, the relection points I was refering to is only the front-soundstage....your surrounds you want some reflected sound off the sidewallls/backwall but NOT off the front wall. In a room the size of yours bipoles can make your room sound bigger than it is (a good thing)....but in my room I didn't care for them...I preferred the direct firing bookshelf. This could also be me to.....some love bipoles.

Room looks great! What type of chairs are those? I'd love to get one for my 2-channel.

I was actually going to get 3 Theater Leather Recliners, but then i saw a hotel closing near by, and walked in and told them if they were selling things....I got all 6 for $100 haha.

You don't have a picture of widescreen content without masking do you?

I am wondering how much it would show...

No but i can take a picture when i have time.

I don't have any special lens..its just a poor mans way in getting an "illusion" of a cine-scope screen/projector.

The screen is naturally 16:9. All the top masking does is cover the black bars when the film is in widescreen and i roll up the projector screen to where the bottom black bar is off the screen and hitting the black curtain in the rear.

When there is a full screen (or 16:9 movie) playing, i just manually take off the Top mask off the screen and pull down the projector screen all the way. Sure it it requires manual labor haha...but hey it works and about 99% of my movies are in cine-scope mode anyways.

It looks more "Natural" if you will. It really makes the Picture stand out a lot more, even there is no difference in the size of the picture when the mask is on or off. The fact that the curtains are black makes a HUGE difference. This will not work if the wall behind you is a light color.

I actually found some old pics here..please note this is when Blu-ray first came out..so this is a Regular DVD 480p i think its Star Wars..and only had a point and shoot camera at the time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Masking makes a difference but like flaws in your wife; If you dont look for them they are not there. :)

You can build simple masks with long thin styrofoam sheets wrapped in black velvet material that soak up ALL light from a projector.

Use velcro on the screen surround and backside of the mask to take off for old movies. A freind of mine did this and it works flawlessly. I'm too lazy

The big help with a mask is that it will make you hide most contrast problems to the point you dont know they are there. Big grey bars top and bottom of the screen really magnify the real contrast ratio.

Maybe thats what I have going on...for whatever reason, my room seems to kill signals in between 40-30 HZ.

Audyseey always kills the bass response of every speaker. This and it rolls off the high end something terrible. This is why I don't use it. I figured the room must be echoing like crazy if Audy turns them down that much.

Maybe thats what I have going on...for whatever reason, my room seems to kill signals in between 40-30 HZ.

Audyseey always kills the bass response of every speaker. This and it rolls off the high end something terrible. This is why I don't use it. I figured the room must be echoing like crazy if Audy turns them down that much.

If it rolling off the highs that is what the audyssey curve does...you can try the flat curve but it is really bright. sounds like you have a reflection issue...maybe some panels and bass traps would help...did in my room!

It looks more "Natural" if you will. It really makes the Picture stand out a lot more, even there is no difference in the size of the picture when the mask is on or off. The fact that the curtains are black makes a HUGE difference. This will not work if the wall behind you is a light color.

I actually found some old pics here..please note this is when Blu-ray first came out..so this is a Regular DVD 480p i think its Star Wars..and only had a point and shoot camera at the time.

Thanks for posting those! Sorry for not replying before, I was out of town for a few days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • dtel pinned this topic