kind of a sad welcome home today

J.4knee

Got home today and the wife was kind of tearful and sad. When she came home she found our 16 y/o main coon cat had passed away in kitchen...he has been with us ever since we've been together. I think old age just caught up with him. RIP Taz…I/we hope to meet up with you again one day.

Sorry to hear of your painful loss.

My cat of 15 years died in 2004. I had had him for over half my life. It was hard and I could still baul if I thought about it the right way.

My wife and I just got 2 kittens in January and I feel alot better about things. I was always concerned it'd lessen my love for my first cat that died by getting a "replacement" cat. Its just not so, in the least. I'm sure my first cat would want another cat taking care of me after he passed anyway.

So, don't feel bad about finding another cat to take his place at the right time.

Kimball

So sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy. It's never an easy thing. I lost 3 dogs to old age a few years ago and my third generation "puppies" are now going on 14 so the two of them are nearing the end also. I also have a cat I found in 1992 that's really starting to show his age. Getting a replacement pet is one of the best ways to honor your deceased pet. It shows that you loved having them around, caring for them, and being loved by them so much that you can't think about living without that kind of special love in your life. It says a lot about your old friend.

We also have 4 dogs and a lizard (Bearded Dragon), but Taz was special to us because his time marker covered our entire time together. We know he had a good life and we were starting to talk about it getting to be that time for him, but every time we'd consider it he'd perk up, which he did this past week but time just finally caught up to him. It is sad to see him go but we also accept he was getting old in spite of his refusal to do so.

He was originally going to be named “Smokey" because of his grey coloration; he really looked like a Lynx. Anyway when I met Michelle she had just moved back in with her parents after college. She had this little barely weaned kitten that was as spunky and cantankerous as a Lynx. Her parent’s house had open backed steps for the first eight steps of the stairway to the upstairs. Taz would lay in wait and ambush you through the stairs as you went up. That combined with his somewhat wild personality garnered him the new name of Taz named after the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character.

We do appreciate the condolences

R/Jim

Verna and I wish to extend our deepest thoughts and sympathy to you and Michelle. Loosing an extended family member is always difficult, regardless of the number of legs. 16 years is certainly a long time and I'm sure letting go will take some time. May he rest peacefully.

-Glenn & Verna

Sorry for your loss. I changed my avatar to a picture of my best friend Adolph after we had to put him down due to bone cancer. It's tough, no matter how they go. They leave a tremendous hole in your life when there not there anymore. I still catch myself looking for him when I enter the house through the back door.

The Coons are a cat and a half. They are the Lion of domestic cats. An out door cat lives around three years. An indoor cat lives for 15 years or so. Feel blessed that you had him (or he had you) for so long, and that he had a good life. We lost four English Mastiffs in two years due to old age. They live to six or eight years, (some to 12 years) and even less with the stress of the show ring. We didn't own them, they owned us.

The Main Coon is the ultimate house cat as Mastiffs are the ultimate dog. Ultimate, being very large in stature and personality.

After the dog loss, our cats are very protected. Here out in the sticks, there are many Coyotes and the Mastiffs watched over their cat buddy's. Now that the dogs are gone, the cats don't get out as much.

tc