Let's Bash Klipsch

thebes

That's right. You heard it here first. Klipsch is a house of cards, a chimera, fast buck artists, South Side slickee boys, peddlers of ill-repute, hucksters, cons and grafters.

The emperor has no clothes, the deus ex machina is on a descent to hell, the windmill's been tilted at, and it's fallen over.

I find it hard to believe that you slavish syncopates can post here day after day praising the glory of all things Klipsch when the tawdry truth is quite, quite different.

Yes I have empirical truth before me, to wit, a 1974 pair of Cornrwalls. Why just tonight when I went downstairs to crank up the main system, what do I observe in front of me. Why nothing less then the front grill pulled away from the to LEFT corner, of the RIGHT-hand speaker. Conspiracy minded, I first ascribed it to simple disgruntlement over the recent election results. Pondering further, I felt a dispassionet approach was in order, an investigation into the facts, if you will.

So I gingerly peeled away the grill only to reveal the startling, and most heinous, fact that the original velcro glue had failed, separating from the motor board.

Now that that I think of it, when I got these both tweeters were blown. Could it be the former owners addiction to high volume rock, or simple shoddy construction.

They are black too, and according to rumors, black because the veneer was inferior.

Well I for one am not going to take it laying down. From now on I'm going to be sitting up when I play music. The better to keep a close eye on my black and gold logo speakers. After all if the velcro's going to fail after a mere (26 plus 9, carry the 3) 16 months, it's just a question of time until something else goes wrong.

So it's time to come clean guys, let's hear those horror stories. Sure the powers that be may step in, censor, shut down. banish, me, but the truth must win out.

TWO dead tweeters.....TWO! On top of that, the maufacturer wanted the outrageous sum of SIXTY dollars for a replacement pair!! Just to taunt me they sent them directly to my home with no tax and no shipping :) AS IF they were doing me a favor! These speaks cost over a grand! (Well, 20 years ago someone paid that kind of ching.....they cost less than 400 this week!!! (SCHWEET!!!!) If they truly stood behind their product they would have sent Elle McPherson over wearing nothing but a smile and a tool belt to repair the port unit and Ann Margaret (at age 28 and wearing velcro lace and a come hither smile) to fix the starboard!

Plus, they should send a significant supply of "I'm sorry for the heinous volume" cards so I can put them on my neighbors door knobs to appease them for the cracks I've put in their drywall.

Over the years I've had some pretty neat toys....but these damn speakers are a blast! To think I've wasted the last 30 years listening to Bozak, Advent, Bose, and Polks......sad. I like them so much, I bought two pair in 6 months.

You're a trip Marty.

I've been lucky enough never to have had an encounter with any of the following:

KLF speakers that fall apart at the seams.
Sub amps that fizzle out after a couple of weeks.
Promedia debacle.

Trying to figure out whether I have Cornwalls, or Cornwall 1.1's, 1.2's, 1.3's 1.4's, 1.5's, 1.6's, 1.7's, 1.8's or 1.9's.

Here's one for you thebes. I tried to send in my brother in law's sub amp for the sixty dollar repair for a sub 10 that just left warranty. They wouldn't let me! Noooooo, instead they sent out a replacement amp at no charge! It's like they don't even read the fine print!

Velcro indeed. At least by the forte II they learned to use magnets.

Now you've got me started. When I unpacked my brand new Belle Klipsch speakers, I was stunned to see that they were covered in old fashioned real wood veneer. That's just so old hat it's not even funny. I was expecting some kind of decent, modern, hard wearing finish - I mean the world has moved on since wood veneer was the only choice. To add insult to injury, those cheap-skates at Klipsch couldn't even find different grained veneer to put on each speaker. They both look so alike you can't tell one apart from the other. Sheesh...

With my 19 year old Chorus II's I have had err, umm, no problems.

With my 10 year old Heresy II's I have had ummm, no problems.

and then there is the pair of 1987 Cornwall II's that I bought, of which apparently, I am the third owner, which umm still sound great.

Nothing to see here, please move along.

Trying to figure out whether I have Cornwalls, or Cornwall 1.1's, 1.2's, 1.3's 1.4's, 1.5's, 1.6's, 1.7's, 1.8's or 1.9's.

The drugs prescribed by the OCD and General Insanity Therapy Center and Brewery are having no effect whatsoever. Every evening after supper, I return to the cave and sit before the Wall Of Voodoo". Clad in my official "Working On Klipsch Stuff Bibs", I again find myself staring at the the latest efforts in the quest for the Holy Grail. It must be solved. It has become the, the Klipsch Grand Unified Theory.

The backs of the Cornwalls are placed evenly in the center of the dungeon room, drivers and crossovers removed and layed out in appropriate fashion, and the large readable copies of the serial number and inspection tags displayed like relics on display in some obscure cathedral in eastern Europe. All of this arrayed in strange pentagonal geometric patterns, akin to a demonically possessed numerologist's prelude to the babbling incantations designed to evoke enlightement (or ask someone to grab me a beer...). Piles of notes, emails from Colter, et. al. all neatly, if compulsively stacked along the sidelines, and in appearance like some medieval paper audience mouthing a silent demented obligato to the contest before them...

As I attempt and repeatedly fail in my efforts to arrange these pieces to this final puzzle, I curse and revile the evil (and no doubt deliberate) scheme. Late each night, when the candles have burned low, the air heavy with the lingering odors of sweat, blood and the stink-pretty candles I get for Christmas; the whiteboards, wall charts and hastily scribbled notes cleaned up, I sit down, pop in a tune with the tubes on the Belles..., and consider my work. I'm know I'm slowly going blind and crazy, but the compulsion drives me on and on.

I think I can see the faint ethereal outline of PWK off in the corner; a ghostly presence... He's leaning up against a Klipschorn. Subtle sounds now rise in my ears... and a voice from the apparition seems to say, "It's all in the midrange son, it's all in the midrange. Follow the squawker, all else will follow".

Suddenly, I awake. It seems that the toil has taken it's toll more than I realized. I had dozed off in the chair, and standing in the darkened doorway is a strange blurry figure that at first, I attribute to nothing more than the latest manifestation of my downward spiral into pure insanity. It approaches, nearer and then fills the entire space in front of my eyes. I am in fear, mortal fear. I see a face - teeth like baseballs and eyes like jellied fire; my eyes are swimming, and I am paralysed. A voice, heavenly in nature to be sure, but laced with a sharp, stern quality similar to that hardened, but flexible steel employed in the making of samurai blades suddenly says.....

"Honey, wake up, put your glasses on, and please turn that off and come to bed!"... And SWMBO walks away into the night.

[H]

How dare Klipsch throw an open house every year and invite folks to see their latest achievements! Plus they had the audacity to also Feed us and have the Head CEO humble himself and talk to the common masses. The final insult was that they didn't even make us pay one dime to attend, and they forced T Shirts, License Plates, Hats and other Klipsch Items on all of Us..............How dare they ...........:>).

What's the world coming too...............OH![*][*][*]

Simply awesome imagery, GLA51, just awesome. You've been inside your system looking out. Don't you know those grill cloths are there to prevent you from being drawn into the black hole at the center? There is an event horizon right where they meet the soundboard. Once past, there is no turning back and even the most powerful direct radiator cannot drag you away from it.

OK, ...there IS SWMBO.

Dave

I can't believe the audacity of Klipsch to make a speaker like my Forte II, purchased new in the 90s, that is still going strong. How am I ever going to spend more money on equipment when they still sound so good after all these years. My last refriderator only lasted 8 years...hasen't Klipsch heard of planned obsolescence? The nerve![:(]