So I got bit by a spider..........

tommyboy

The would got pretty bad, so I went to the doc today. They gave me antibiotics.......Clindamycin. I would like to share the side effects with you!

Warning:

This medication may cause a severe (rarely fatal) intestinal condition (pseudomembranous colitis) due to a type of resistant bacteria.

Side Effects:

See also Warning section. Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea may occur. Heartburn, joint pain/swelling, yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine, change in amount of urine. Use of this medication may result in oral thrush or a new vaginal yeast infection. White patches in mouth, change in vaginal discharge, or any other new symptoms. A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you get a serious allergic reaction, rash, itching/swelling (especially in face/tongue/throat) severe dizziness, or trouble breathing. This is not a complete list of side effects. If you experience anything not listed above, contact your doctor immediately. Older adults may experience more serious side effects, including persistent diarrhea........

Are they serious? for a bug bite? I'm G6PD deficient, which means there are a lot of antibiotics I can't take............ or I'll die............ literally. so if I experience any of the above symptoms, I just have to ride it out

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have any problems taking any medication be sure you tell your doctor. Drug allergies should be part of your medical history and on your patient chart. A lot of the precautions and warnings are for opportunistic type secondary infections. The antibiotics will kill off normal flora as well as pathogenic bacteria. That sometimes makes opportunities for other types of infections to advance and most of these are yeast type infections. They are on or in your body already and just kept at bay. You will find similar warning on all antibiotics. I do hope the spider bite doesn't progress into something truly serious.

Sometimes the side effects are worse than what they're curing. And the potential side effects are even worse often ending in something like in really rare cases this stuff'll kill you.

I've moved up from the stuff that said should not drink alcohol while taking this medication to do not drink alcohol while taking this medication. When I asked my doctor if that meant I could drink all I wanted when not taking the medication he just rolled his eyes.... I'm a native Hoosier so English is really a second language but I always though while meant during the act of doing something. I guess I really am stupid. ... Heys thar Mabel Sue, doc Flimflam sez I kan't take theesin pills he gave me whiles I drink 'shine - got any water to chase 'em down with? hic

You forgot to mention----"and sometimes death occurrs".

They consider that only a temporary inconvienence..... ConfusedIndifferent

Architects practice architecture. Engineers practice engineering. Doctors practice medicine. Lawyers practice laws.

While it's commndable to know architects, doctors, and engineers understand they can't possibly know everything - I bet the soldiers using the parachutes Tommyboy has rigged are glad he wasn't just practicing when he packed their parachute.

That said I suspect there is a lot of practice and inspection to make sure technique stays up to snuff.

• Moderators

You forgot to mention----"and sometimes death occurrs".

JJK

It wouldn't be that bad if it was not so permanent ! [;)]

"Watch out for that vaginal yeast infection"

Did he just call you a big........[:o]

• Moderators

[*-)] Don't worry about it your GF knows better ! [;)]

I DON'T LIKE SPIDERS, any other bugs, or snakes are ok but not spiders, tiny ones are not that bad but those big hairy ones.......put me on the list as a big ......................... [;)]

Confused Don't worry about it your GF knows better ! Wink

I DON'T LIKE SPIDERS, any other bugs, or snakes are ok but not spiders, tiny ones are not that bad but those big hairy ones.......put me on the list as a big ......................... Wink

OK dtel,

You are on the list!!

Tommyboy,

What part of the country are you in?? They probably treated you preventatively for a Brown Recluse bite. Do a search on the web for pictures of Brown Recluse Bites. The bite turns bright red, then you get a very large water blister, and then the tissue dies. For your information, every site I have ever viewed on the Brown Recluse bite is WRONG!! It is not the venom from the spider that does all of this damage, Brown Recluse spiders are big carriers of the bacteria M.R.S.A., and the MRSA kills and rots the flesh. They are giving you the antibiotic preventatively, to prevent the possible MRSA infection from getting a head start on doing damage to that area.

As for a possible Pseudomonis infection side effect from the antibiotic they put you on, Pseudomonis bacteria grows in the soil, so hopefully you are not a landscaper!! If you ever get the oportunity to smell a Pseudomonis infection close up, you WILL gag, no maybe about it. The smell will fill an entire room, and can be smelled in the hallway at a hospital. All antibiotics are based on different types of molds. Antibiotics do not kill bacteria, they only grow on the outside of the bacteria like mold does on bread. When these molds grow on bacteria that is supceptable to the mold growing on it, it is like giving the bacteria a cold. The bacteria don't grow as fast and therefore they don't increse in numbers as fast. (Bacteria grow and get longer, then divide into two bacteria, this is how bacterial infections increase in severity.) It is still our immune system / white blood cells that eat the bacteria to kill them, this is why a person who has A.I.D.S. dies no matter how many antibiotics we give them at the end of their life, they no longer have enough white blood cells to overcome the infection.

It is important to realize that antibiotics also weaken our immune system and abillity to make white blood cells, but it weakens the bacteria more and gives our bodies a better chance to catch up and overcome the infection. Different bacteria are only supceptable to the antibiotics that can grow on them depending on the kind of protiens that the bacterias outer layer is made up of. We have good bacteria in our bodies that is needed for life, but even good bacteria can kill us if levels go high enough. Since our bodies immune response is weakened by these antibiotics, it's abillity to keep the normal bacteria that grows on our bodies at safe levels is compromised. If those bacteria are not supceptable to the antibiotics being used, those bacteria can get out of hand such as a women with a terrible yeast infection. Another problem exhists as that alot of good bacteria can be weakened by the antibiotics and are immune system / white blood cells that normally eat them at a level that still allows them to exist, will now overtake them and kill them off. The killing off of these good bacteria is what causes us to get diarrhea while on antibiotics, further, the existance of these good bacteria and the waste products they make while digesting food is what normaly makes our bowels an inhospitable place for Pseudomonis, and Pseudomonis is a bacteria that the antibiotic you are on, will not grow on, so it leaves you open to an opertunistic infection possibility from Pseudomonis! Pseudomonis is very, very hard to kill once it sets in, and what the side effects did not explain to you is that you are also supceptible to a Pseudomonis infection at the break in your skin where the spider bit you until it is healed over. Although it is somewhat rare to catch a Pseudomonis infection, if you were to get it in your hand or a limb that was bitten, the end result is very often amputation of that limb because it is that hard to get rid of Pseudomonis. If you ever smell a Pseudomonis infection on a person, you will never forget the smell for the rest of your life!! These are the reasons that when a bacteria mutates and becomes immune to antibiotics that used to work on them, it is such a serious matter. MRSA is one of the big 3 "super bugs", or bacteria that has mutated and become resistant to the old molds that used to work on it by growing on it.

Considder yourself edu-ma-kated!! You now have a much better understanding then the lay person on this subject matter.

Roger