OT...Compact Pistols

kelA

I am in the market for a compact pistol that would be good for conceal. I currently have a Ruger p89, but feel it is a little bulky. I have been eyeing the Smith & Wesson MP compact. Any fellow gun owners out here with some recommendations and why? I am looking for either a 9mm or .40, just not a fan of the .45

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glock 27, for lots of reasons.

I carried alot of different pistols in FL, leather holster inside pants. Everything else I ever tried would rust.I am pretty sure I could store my glock in salt water and not hurt it. It's a great size for CC, and I like the extra punch a 40 has over 9mm. I would also suggest what ever you decide on you get some tritium night sights.

Of course the biggest thing with a glock is reliability,

Also keep in mind you always want bonded ammo in a CC weapon, non-bonded ammo will seperate when shot thru a car window and do very little when it gets to the other side.

or get the gun called "the judge" lol

If you can find one of these give it a try. It's not a hugely well known brand but that doesn't mean it's not reliable. Large capacity magazines are pretty useless since the overwelming majority of street/home gun fights last under 4 seconds with less than 5 rounds fired from both sides total.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_40sw_pm.html

Personally, I carry a custon made Walther PPK/S from Cylinder & Slide in Fremont, Nebaska.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/combathandgun.shtml

Dont mean to sound like a smart @ss but i have owned/ used hundreds of handguns. The idea of a small concealable handgun for the private citizen given the grossly underplayed dangers of our present society have spawned a lot of excellent choices.I am armed about 95% of the time and have swapped and traded my way through most of them at one time or another.

What is your budget?/ do you prefer a revolver or a semiauto?? The problem with most autos- particularly during the summer months when clothes/concealment are an issue is that they become a "leftit"- left it at home- left it in the car- left it in the safe. A steel frame auto such as the (Sig Sauer or the 1911 variants) is HEAVY. That leaves the polymer frame guns such as the Glock, Springfield XD or the HK USP. The problem here is that they are bulky and look like a gun in your pocket or waistband. With the ultra compact autos such as the Kel tec or Ruger 380 is the cartridge is very marginal against an agressive attacker- particulary one on drugs which is usually the case.Personally i do not like the very small pocket autos and I would rule them out completely. The Glock mini autos in a 9mm or 40 SW are a decent choice. Personally i dont like them becasue of the trigger saftey / some reports of accidents happening when they are dropped and grabbed by the trigger guard(Plaxico Burress)on the way down. Just my personal opinion. The Glock is a great gun with lots of fans.My choices would be the Springfield XD compact or the HK USP compact in 40 cal- given the issues already noted. I particulary like the HK compact at about 800.00. the Springfield is about 450.00. I also dearly love my Kmbers but they are just too darn big and heavy to carry concealed.

IMHO the S&W airweight 357 mag titanuim/scandium frame 5 shot revolver is the ticket. Expensive- yes- but it only weighs 11 oz+ bullets. Add a Crimson trace Laser grip and you have yourself one bas @ss little package of firepower. it can also shoot 38 specials if the 357 rcoil is too much. Speer Gold Dot has a complete line of "short barrel" ammo which is specially made to order for an airweight 2" bbl revolver. Figure about 700-800 for the gun and 250 for the laser grip. you can save about 200.00 by getting the standard airweight which weighs about 3 oz more. The gun is small and easily concealed. It is simple to operate and has acceptable accuracy for close up. And -you will be more inclined to carry it in places where you will leave the heavier/bulkier auto behind.

I carry 2 pistols with me. the HK USP 40 is on my person when I can conceal it with the clothes that I am wearing. if I am in light jeans- t shirt- no jacket- the little S&W gets the nod. the other gun stays in the trunk. 75% of the time I choose the Smith .357 mag.

Good luck with your purchase- Practice- practice- practice-until you are confident with your new firearm. Gunsamerica.con is a good place to find the best prices and to research the market.

all you need is one shot

That is correct...

I currently have a Glock 23C that I had for some time now. I'm a big guy and I like the use of a shoulder harness, when weather permits, or then that I have a side holster. Still looking at getting a IWB, but don't know when. I did just get my life time carry permit in the mail last week.... [Y]

Good luck with your decision and as also safety first.

James

Guys, thanks for all the info. I was not aware that the trigger-safety was a factor in the Plax Burress case, but will keep that in mind. My Ruger has a manual safety, and would like to get a gun with such since I am more familiar with it. One of my friends has a Springfield XD 40 and suggested it. Keep the thoughts coming.

Somehow I wouldn't feel safe unless I had a B.A.R. a la WWII era. Couldn't figure out how to make it smaller though.

I'd try to carry it in my pants... you know...where that sock goes? As you walk by the women...they will faint at the sight [:$]

[^o)]

I carry a Glock 23 in an IWB and most often find that I can carry with shorts and a t-shirt, no problem. The barrel on the Glock 27 is a tad shorter but even more important, the grip is shorter as well and will be less likely to print (if that is an issue in your state; it is not in MI). I was initially concerned about the lack of manual safety on the Glock but realized that the gun will simply not fire if the trigger is not pulled. I don't know that I would want my wife to carry one in her purse but I feel very safe with one in a holster. My advice would be for you to go to the range and fire the two or three final choices on your list.

A good gun belt is important as well.

Most of the time I carry my Beretta Cougar in a bianchi #100 iwb leather holster or a blade-tech iwb kydex model.

When I need more concealability I carry a ppk/s (interarms) in a kydex iwb holster I made.

I'm kind of out of .380 at the moment so I've been carrying a .38spl snubbie instead.

This tends to print a little bit but it gets the job done.

We call it the "crowd pleaser"

crowd pleaser.

I carry a Glock 23 in an IWB

DKP,

What brand of holster is that and how well do you like it? I have been thinking about getting one but with all the brands it's hard to tell.

Thanks in advance.

James

I have a Com III (I think it's the III, anyway) which is made by a company specializing in holsters and belts. Website is: www.hbeleatherworks.com

Here is a link to a thread that may be helpful to you. There are tons of pics showing most every variation of ways to carry. The second is a forum with tons of information in it.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/28114-lets-see-your-pics-how-you-carry-concealed.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-carry-holsters-carry-options/