Fort Hood Texas

Me Loves Khorns

This is just down the road from me. One of my cousins is a helicopter pilot there.

These poor families have gone thru so much already with numerous deployments and losses over the years as it is. This is just senseless.

God be with the families of those killed and hurt.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

So very very sad,after all they been through.I can't imagine the families grief.The guy proclaims our enemies should rise up and defeat us but he's in our armed forces?I also don't understand the facts very well,40+ shot with pistols?I suppose we'll learn more,God help the families.

If he realy wrote a blog that "equates suicide bombers with a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save the lives of his comrades," that should have alerted some official, to say nothing of one of his fellow psychiatrists, if any of them read the blog.

If he realy wrote a blog that "equates suicide bombers with a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save the lives of his comrades," that should have alerted some official, to say nothing of one of his fellow psychiatrists, if any of them read the blog.

I'd also be interested to see if that is true.

Yeh. I guess it's pretty much the same except the soldier throwing himself on a grenade is to save he lives of his comerades. The suicide bomber is just as dead as the other, but so is everyone else.

BS

Absolutely.

My cousin stationed there is fine. He was actually not far from there when it happened. He flies medivac helicopters. Even our hospital in Waco was put on alert to possible recieve casualties.

I still cannot understand how one guy shot so many with pistols, I guess just so fast. And confusing.

And he is a doctor! Not a special forces soldier.

Paul

Kimberly Munley......a Hoggard High School girl from Carolina Beach, a swat team member, brought the Ft.Hood shooter down after drawing attention to herself to protect others. She continued to fire her weapon after being hit three times. My new hero.....get well soon.

I saw an interview with a fellow Dr at fort hood. Sounds like the shooter had as many as 500 patients. The Army does not have a support system for the Dr's. That is a lot of horific stories to hear and a lot of people to be strong for with no outlet.

Is it a myth or is it true that most mental health professionals like psychiatrists and psychologists have therapists of their own, just to help them keep on track after dealing with patients with mental issues all day, every day?

"Is it a myth or is it true that most mental health professionals like psychiatrists and psychologists have therapists of their own, just to help them keep on track after dealing with patients with mental issues all day, every day?"

It used to be standard practice for a full fledged therapist to have a consultant. Many still do, but some do not. Of course, when they first start out, in many states, they all go through thousands (literally) of hours of supervised practice with regular sessions with their supervisor / consultant, who is a therapist with more experience. They earn something like 1/2 of their supervised hours before getting their degree, and the other half after they get their degree, but before they are licensed. In California, for instance, this is true of people practicing psychotherapy who are psychiatrists with an MD, clinical psychologists with a Ph.D. or PsyD and a psychology license, and therapists / counselors with master's degrees and licenses like MFT, MFCC or LCSW (terms used in California and some other places).

Virtually all, but I have known exceptions, have gone through their own therapy as a client*

Some states are more lax than others. In the 1950s, in some states, a person could hang out a shingle without a license. That still happens, but there are usually state laws that prevent them from using titles like "therapist," unless there an adjective (e.g., past lives therapist) that nullifies the impression that they are mainstream.

I don't know what the rules are in Texas or in the military.

As far as it being a good profession to be in, yes, but ... MDs in psychiatry have a rather high suicide rate. I used to be connected to a training clinic for future MFTs and future Ph.D.s and PsyDs. One night, long after hours, when a supervisor who had to drive in to help an intern with a client in crisis, as she was walking to her car said, "Why does everybody think this is such a neat field to go into?"

*Back in Freud's day, this was known as the "training analysis," and was required. It recalls the advice of another person some 2,000 years ago: "Before taking the sawdust out of your neighbor's eye, take the great plank out of your own."

I saw an interview with a fellow Dr at fort hood. Sounds like the shooter had as many as 500 patients. The Army does not have a support system for the Dr's. That is a lot of horific stories to hear and a lot of people to be strong for with no outlet.

Is it a myth or is it true that most mental health professionals like psychiatrists and psychologists have therapists of their own, just to help them keep on track after dealing with patients with mental issues all day, every day?

Islander,

It has been my experience that most Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and Psychiatric Nurses go into Psych therapy orriginally to better understand themslves!! They all usually had a mental disease or deficit to begin with themselves or sometimes in the family and wanted to research and understand the problem better. To say they have their own Psychiatrist because of what they deal with would be an excuse, or crutch to the truth.

Roger