Which bands make you hurl and why?

oldmako

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do like some extremely questionable "music" that 99.9% of you most likely hate. Such as ABBA. And John Denver. And Neil Diamond

THAT DOES IT!

I'm going to blow the ducks up for sure now. Oh wait... I've seen John Denver in concert twice and Neil Diamond maybe 20 times.... had a Greatest Hits of Abba in college....

Maybe I'll just blow one of them up

Luckily, I don't listen to the radio much so I can avoid most music that I haven't selected myself. The only music station I listen to tends to play Coldplay a bit much but they don't sicken me (I've seen 'em twice in concert) just wish they'd play something different once and a while. I have bought quite a few albums on others' advise that didn't do it for me. Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Nora Jones and that ilk aren't hurl-worthy - they sound pleasant enough just nothing special in my book. I've only heard Celine doing 'Titanic' but know she's not my cup of tea. Barry Manilow kinda pisses me off - I had a girlfriend in HS who liked him thus, I had to like him too. Phil Collins disappoints me but only because I know what he was capable of with Genesis when he just played the drums (the good version with Peter). The only band that truly irritates me is 'Flock of Seagulls' and that song "...and I Ran". They were the epitome of a style of music which generally turned my stomach (electronica-pop). I've lead a sheltered life...thankfully

I'm with you on Rush and Journey but I think that genre has so much that makes me ill. You were too kind to Journey No Chicago, Styx, Eagles, and Boston just kill me bore me. No Hotel California makes me barf within three bars. I'm just not into whatever music that is at all.

Pretty much my playlist so I guess we wouldn't get along?

Of course we would get along. There is too much music out there to not find some common ground.

I've been listening to the same bands for the last 25 years. It's my music and some of my favorite bands but when the same songs get played on the radio over and over and over and over again I am indeed "hurling".

Great bands but these songs are killing me:

"Sweet Emotion"

"Limelight"

"Misty Mountain Hop"

"Dust in the Wind"

Great music but need to be put on the shelf for a while.

I'm with you on Rush and Journey but I think that genre has so much that makes me ill. You were too kind to Journey No Chicago, Styx, Eagles, and Boston just kill me bore me. No Hotel California makes me barf within three bars. I'm just not into whatever music that is at all.

Pretty much my playlist so I guess we wouldn't get along?

I'm with ya Pete. Pretty high on my playlist as well.

But the no drums or rock from the 60's through the 90's really cracks me up. Hell what else is there to play on a pair of Klipsch.

Same here! My catalog is pretty heavy with the Rush, Styx, Asia, and the like, as well as the more modern counterparts, such as Place Vendom and House of Lords.

I guess if you want to talk about music that annoys me - first and for most, just about all cRap and Hip-Hop! How I sometimes wish I could take a rocket launcher to the next @$$hole that comes thumping that $#!+ through my neighborhood!

After that, I find really annoying is that twangy country crap that people seem to like to listen around this area. [+o(]

Most forms of Jazz - talk about booooorrrrrriiinnnngggggg! Now, I do like hearing some jazz elements in my music (Thought Chamber is really brilliant with regard to this as well as Zero Hour), but I've tried listening to just jazz and I just find it so d[8]mn boring for the most part! I'll be sitting there and just thinking, "is this song actually going to go anywhere?" However, that being said, at least there is some real talent displayed here, which I can fully appreciate. In addition, I've done a little exploring with the jazz fusion, and I can see where the progressive rock/metal that I do like to listen to certainly comes from (it is essentially a direct decendent from jazz fusion). Take, for example, Exivious. Takes jazz fusion and mixes some metal with it. They call if "Fusionmetal". As quoted from their website: "With a jazzfusion backbone Exivious uses freaky metal riffs to decorate
their organic eruption of free improvisations and complex rhythms." Really amazing stuff (you can hear a sample by just going to thier website - EDIT - you can actually listen to their entire album, and it is a very good quality stream). Okay, so I don't find all jazz to be boring. [;)]

Of course, all that generic pop crap that seems to get played on the radio now-a-days. No wonder I long gave up the radio. How could something be so banal and vapid, yet still sell a million records? I guess they truly do cater to the lowest common denominator. Yup, I exited the mainstream a long time ago and never bothered to look back. Just for S&Gs, I'll take a quick look at the current Top-40 chart, and I won't even recognized most of them anymore. I also don't even bother with the likes of American Idol or similiar.

Anything where they have to resort to using "autotune" for the vocals! It sounds so fake and so stupid. If not that, any body that feels they need to scream the vocals. As much as I love heavy metal, but those "cookie monster" vocals do get annoying. That is probably why I prefer to stick to the power/progressive metal genre, which typically uses clean vocals, is more melodic in nature, as well as many of those singers ARE classically trained or operatic. In fact, many of those musicians are classically trained (and it really shows).

Give me "real" music with "real" instruments and "real" vocals, performed by "real" musicians!

Biggest one for me off the top of my head is Phil Collins. Sususudeo blah blah.Ick!(yes I know thats not how it is spelled)

Good one, and ELO "Don't bring me down", and anything by the"boss",and all DaveMatthews(get a real guitar player).

Morrissey - Sounds like he'd rather be anywhere besides making music. And chicks dig it? There are some confused chicks out there.

The Doors - Jim's ego kills any chance of me liking their stuff. It bleeds through it all. "Riders on the Storm" - he sounds like a monotone Elvis.

Dave Matthews sounds like Kermit The Frog. I'll admit to liking a couple songs off their first release, Remember Two Things.

Neil Young should compose the music and lyrics, and NOT SING. Same goes with Dylan.

Polyphonic Jazz. Only way I know how to describe the kind of Jazz where all musicians are doing their own thing at the same time.

While I'm at it, lots of radio stations (classic rock mostly) seem to believe each artist has done one song. Only example I can think of right now is Ozzy Osbourne....seems he only released Crazy Train.

All I have for now. More to come. Excellent thread.

In terms of popular band/ singers there is a pretty long list. At the top of it would be...

Crosby Stills and Nash

Eagles

Any and all hip hop and rap artist. I use the word artist here to describe something other than a musician.

Anyone from American Idol

Josh

There are a lot of new bands (rock/punk/pop) that look like the Ramones, only ultra clean. Looks as if they bought their clothes yesterday. Makes me sick. They have the messed up hair, tighter fitting short jeans, chuck taylors - it's like they Googled "band member atire", then went on a shopping spree.

14 shots of tequila and then listening to any music.

I listen to good music from all people regardless of their, religious,color or sexual preferences. If its good music its good music. I tend to find some acid jazz/heavy metal/pop music difficult to listen too, but never because of who the artist is. I can appreciate talent and enjoy it to some degree, but would not be specifically repulsed, again unless 14 shots of good tequila was involved. If its bad tequlia... well then it could be less. Anyway I enjoy living on Pluto. Cheers!