Watches Anyone?

rplace

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love watches and like to look and read about them, but never spend much on them. I had an inexpensive TAG F1, a little fiberglass thing years ago, but the band broke and a new one wasn’t worth the price, so didn’t replace it.

Now I alternate between 2 Wenger, 2 Citizen Ecodrive, and 2 Timex.

Of special interest is a Railroad Approved Seiko Quartz I’ve had for about 32 years. When I worked for MKT Railroad we had to buy these watches. Kinda crazy at the time wearing a $200 watch switching train cars, the most dangerous job I’ve ever had.

Not that anyone is concerned about my opinion... this will only go to show how retentive I can be on something. One thing I don't like about the Breitlings is their bands appear to have a slant to them. The links look slightly out of balance to me.

the watch my friend has band is actually slanted

• Moderators

i like to keep my wrists free of jewelry in case i have to make any sudden moves...so I just find a lovely woman and say "excuse me, what time is it."

That can be one of the most expensive watches to keep around.

Here is what I am currently leanting toward. What you all think?

Not that anyone is concerned about my opinion... this will only go to show how retentive I can be on something. One thing I don't like about the Breitlings is their bands appear to have a slant to them. The links look slightly out of balance to me.

Kind of bugs me that I notice that because I'd like to have one and that has been enough to make me pause.

Ok, I admit I'm retentive and shallow.

Simple solution they make it with a rubber strap, leather band and crocodile/shark/stingray...problem solved. Do you like it in leather or rubber?

200807141127176086_s.jpg

Gbr031.jpg

When I graduated from highschool in 1970 I asked for only cash gifts. Then I went out and bought an Accutron like this one except that it had a metal band. It must have been the lowest priced one.

It was to me a beautiful watch. Accuracy was beyond anything else in the day. It made an intriguing hum.

In 1977 I was bicycling on Lake Shore Drive -- it had a sidewalk back then with curb cuts -- and had a bad fall. Eventually I got back to the IIT dorms and discovered the watch was missing. I went back to the scene and didn't find it.

In about 1991 I was buying an airline ticket at Midway Airport. The young man behind the counter was wearing an Accutron Astronaut. It seemed a bit incongruous. He explained that his uncle wore it though Viet Nam and gave it to him. There must have been a very interesting story attached to that Astronaut.

Watches are passed along on male lines at least in the old days. It is a shame that they are not recorded better..

WMcD

I always wanted one like this. Almost bought one on a flea market in San Francisco ten years ago, but at the time it was too expensive as I needed the money to travel.

Do you like it in leather or rubber?

Actually no. I've always had a steel (or in the case of my Tag, steel & 18kt) band. I've had strapped watches before and feel like someone is walking around grabbing my wrist. I have a Casio 200m watch that I bought for our 3 week trip to Europe/Turkey and left it loose enough so it would flop around.

......Watches are passed along on male lines at least in the old days. It is a shame that they are not recorded better..

WMcD

This is the watch my dad wore in WWII. He served in a bombing squadron on the USS Yorktown at the Battle of Midway. It was badly damaged that day and it was in the ocean for a while too. The hands haven't moved in nearly 70 years.

Posted Image

The day he broke his watch.

Posted Image

This is the watch my dad wore in WWII. He served in a bombing squadron on the USS Yorktown at the Battle of Midway. It was badly damaged that day and it was in the ocean for a while too. The hands haven't moved in nearly 70 years.

Now there's a family heirloom! Have you thought of getting a suitable display case for it?

...Now there's a family heirloom! Have you thought of getting a suitable display case for it?

He just kept it in a dresser drawer in an old cigar box with his navy wings, insignia, some service medals, and some other old stuff including the tiny wrist band I wore in the hospital when I was born. When I open the box I can still smell his after shave. A proper display case would be fitting but I still want to hold it every now and then.

I dang near bought a waterproof Citizen while on vacation to beat around in, but the wifes new camera took care of that.

That all I do is wear my trusty ol' Citizen Eco-Drive watch. It has been doing fine for the past several years that I've had it. As much as I'd love to have a Breitling or TAG, the way I beat the hell out of watches, I just cannot justify that kind of money for one. This poor Citizen has been on and in the river, out in the woods, out on the ski slopes and every place in between and still works like a charm. I do notice a little moisture intrusion in it though, so will take to the local watch repair and get that fixed.

I had one of these Omega's for about 25 years. I paid about $250 when I bought it, then $500 to get it serviced, then sold it on ebay for $2000.

Now i have an Armitron self winding skeleton watch. I tell people it just gives me the time and they don't believe me.

post-5629-13819635585386_thumb.jpg

......Watches are passed along on male lines at least in the old days. It is a shame that they are not recorded better..

WMcD

navywatch.jpg

The day he broke his watch.

g4144231.jpg

My dad was at the battle of midway as well. Can't remember which boat but the enemy fire was very heavy.

It is obvious from this thread that people here like good stuff. I have owned many watches over the last 20 years and have made a hobby out of buying and selling- with the recession - there is little market in the medium level stuff and the high end has taken some major hits. In years past I have fueled my audio and gun habits with profits from watch sales. Sadly now- craigs list and the newspapers attract thug robber types which makes private sales too risky.

My favorite watch is anything that says ROLEX on the papers- Why- ? medium top shelf innards and workmanship- There is always somebody that is chomping at the bit ot own it. Yes there are betterr quality watches out there= Patek- vacheron- Ademars-IWC-blancpain just to name a few. However the Rolex takes worlds of abuse and can always be repaired. The style is unmistakenable. Walk into a business meeting with a Rolex regardless of model and it makes a statement that you have accomplished a certain status in the business community. Brietlings may be more technical- Tags may be more trendy but my taste runs to the ROLEX sport models

I presently own a 18 k all gold sub with a blue face- a black face stainless Daytona= my daily is a Deep sea dweller which looks like a brick but wears like a dream. Also a Thomas grief Oceanographer and a bunch of nam era Siekos

I seriously regret selling my 2 tone Ademars Piget royal oak 3 register day date month on a 2 tone bracelet- also my blancpain flyback chronograph= 2 mistakes selling these.

I gave my beloved GMT to my son for graduation