Crazy Long Thread for Crazy people with Crazy Long Signatures

Tremors

I recently deleted a big chunk of my signature, mainly all of my Apple gear that I utilize throughout my house. I had originally thought that it'd be a great tool for someone else who may have questions about computer integration into their own household and how others were utilizing that. Then I recognized just how much space this actually took up when scrolling thru posts. Do you guys think that it's helpful to know all of the gear that each other is working with, or just some of it? Thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then I recognized just how much space this actually took up when scrolling thru posts. Do you guys think that it's helpful to know all of the gear that each other is working with, or just some of it? Thoughts?

[:S][:#][:$]

I guess it is time for a shave again.

Close to a year ago our lovely and polite and friendly forum monitor asked(very politely) that I shave some of my profile and I did, cutting it to about half it's size. Somehow, it grew again.[*-)]

I will work on mine again.[:D]

Bill

• Moderators

I definitely see the benefit of posting your gear in your signature but some of us have so much gear we could start our own A/V Shop. [:P] [:D]

My thought is we probably do not need to know every single piece of gear that you own. It really may be a mute point. I for one have never thought, "Man I wish their signature wasn't so long so I don't have to scroll down so far with my mouse". For me, it doesn't bother me to see super long signatures. One option might be to put your main system or systems in your signature and a line that says something like see my profile for additional gear. Either way is fine for me.

As a somewhat newer member here, I tend to like seeing what gear folks have. As Bill can attest, I've used it to get in contact with folks who either have gear that I already have (and have a question on), or who own gear that I'm looking to upgrade to. So, from that perspective, it's nice to be able to see that... Just my $0.02 anyway.

• Moderators

What

Speakers/ a bunch

Things with lights/buttons/knobs

Grey box to play plastic disc/less lights

Chair to sit on 6' long

Place to hold plastic disc/no lights

Room a few lights

Electricity/ works everything

I know it's a lot of trouble and all but if you click on the persons name the page will magically change and lo and behold there's space for a members gear.

It's a pain in the *** scrolling down half a page reading posts here.

We discussed this here probably 10 years ago.

K.

• Moderators

As a somewhat newer member here, I tend to like seeing what gear folks have. As Bill can attest, I've used it to get in contact with folks who either have gear that I already have (and have a question on), or who own gear that I'm looking to upgrade to. So, from that perspective, it's nice to be able to see that... Just my $0.02 anyway.

I have had numerous PM's from individuals doing that very thing. Asking for advice on projectors, amps, and other gear I have in my signature. Either way I'm fine with it. I listed mine since when I first joined the forum, we were all encouraged to add it because we found that often times, people would ask a question and we would have to continually ask what gear they currently had, when if the info was available, it made it easier to offer suggestions, troubleshoot etc.

+1...it was kinda the same way when I read reviews while building a custom gaming computer. It's nice to see what others have in their system and how it all fits together. The signatures don't bother me at all and I enjoy them.

I don't have enough gear to make one :(

Don't worry, if you are active here, the disease takes hold. Eventually, you start to gather too much gear. Now I have "too much" for the house according to the fiance. I told here we could move to a bigger house, but she would have to help me move it all, or she can let me have my fun.

She said "speaker stuff" is too big and ugly. Now she can't live without it in every room.

• Moderators

Really doesn't matter to me, I click to read if I need to know when trying to help, but it's also fine if it is right on the page, whatever floats your space.

What's sucks is when no info is anywhere to be found and help is expected with little or no info. Like something for sale, no price, no location, well why did you bother posting ?

I love seeing gear that way we don't have to make up more questions about what gear they have. So one post with a gear list takes up the same as a newbie with a question and four people writing a post asking what they have and all hitting post at the same time. Them you got six post asking what could have been eliminated by having a simple signature. The only ones I don't like is "iPad with s2 headphones, iPhone 4S, with x7i headphones, iPod touch 3rd gen with image ones" I really don't care what phone or alarm clock or refrigerator you have in your house and what headphones are plugged into all of them.

I agree with Peter. Some of these sigs take up the whole height of the screen, which makes for a lot of unnecessary scrolling. Do we really need to know what gear you used to have, what gear you'd like to get, what gear you're thinking of selling, and what setup you have in your guest bedroom?

At the very least, don't use a single column to list it all. If you use two or three columns, it will take half or one-third of the vertical space it's currently using.

That would be appreciated. [:)]