Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

@dtel my nephew is a construction supervisor at the Indianapolis Zoo. He said they have to spot weld any bolt with a nut on some of the gorilla and chimp cages, they're so strong they can undo the bolt, even when tightened with a half inch ratchet by a human. He said some species are pound per pound 10x stronger than a human.

Maybe they should have the gorilla tighten them with a ratchet 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, USNRET said:

My son is rightfully upset with me tonight. I was taking some 12' 2x4s out of the garage and knocked a bar clamp off the shelf. Now there are several dents and a scratch in his otherwise mar free car.

He didn't say much but his look was all it took. Told him to meet me at the body shop I use at 11:00 AM tomorrow. He was like 11 AM....in the MORNING (college boy milking sympathy from finals?) and I am like OK, never mind. He decides that he can make it. 

That'll be $6 fiddy and 3 days. Fill the 3 dents and re-paint hood and fender.

• Sad 4

33 minutes ago, USNRET said:

That'll be $6 fiddy and 3 days. Fill the 3 dents and re-paint hood and fender.

I hope not, you know that metallic is pretty near impossible to match since it's color plus the ratio and size of the flakes plus how it's layered.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

That's right you want to join in..

z0480.jpg

That looks a lot like the monstrosity my parents bought as my first go-kart.  My Briggs & Stratton powered semi-pneumatic (hard rubber) tired mess was eventually replaced by real go-karts with twin McCulloch power that would go over 100 mph, which inches from the pavement seemed like 200 mph.

On another note, I was listening to an NPR program about deception as a measure of animal intelligence.  Apparently, an Orangutan fashioned a lock-pick from a curved piece of wire.  After several escape attempts it was determined that keepers had not negligently left a door unlocked, but that the Orangutan had hidden the wire in its mouth until needed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

I hope not, you know that metallic is pretty near impossible to match since it's color plus the ratio and size of the flakes plus how it's layered.

Fingers crossed. He did a great job on two other vehicles for me although the paint wasn't as difficult to match.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

} Damn straight. Even with the recent repair on my wife’s car, at a body shop within the family, after being run into by a teenager in a $50 car causing $9K in damage the metallic is close but no cigar. Homey don’t drive f’d up cars. Off for another car sooner rather than later.

And because it is a low mileage ‘18 I’m filling a claim against their insurance for depreciated loss - clean trade value vs. value after reported accident —

• Like 4

• Moderators

Dr. Oldtimer ?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/eating-chili-peppers-may-prevent-fatal-heart-attacks-and-stroke-202500699.html?fr=yset_chr_syc_hp&type=srp_banner

The study, published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology on December 24, included 22,811 Italian men and women, who reported their chili pepper intake over an 8-year period. At the end of the study, people who consumed the spice at least four times a week reduced their risk of dying from a heart attack by 44 percent and from cerebrovascular disease by 61 percent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I guess the paint was chipped and you couldn't use paintless dent repair?

Correct, I had it evaluated and there were a couple of reasons that PDR wouldn't work. The boy had a choice live with the thee chips and scratch, attempt to cover bare metal or go for the repair / paint. I let him make the choice. Hope it works out. I feel bad enough (and out 650) as it is. Painted did my wife's bumper cover and it came out nice. I couldn't see any miss-match but painter wasn't satisfied and re-shot it.

• Like 1

Lotsa likes to spread around right now.

& I'm not sure but the airless's I used you could crank the rpms for spraying or power rolling a couple stories up. Maybe the ones in paint booths have marked dial adjustments that add to the complexity of the painting technique.

Good Luck with that @richieb

Nice finds @dirtmudd

& last but not least @dtel now I can rationalize nachos for dinner more often, or beans and greens and Jack-Links Teriyaki jerky with cornbread that's so good on chilly days. Did that last week and the ripe red j a p s, onions and chili powder made those pintos mmm mmmm good! Using lots of buttermilk here lately and I can't let it go bad so a cup here a cup there I'll use for that... time for taco meat cornbread, haven't done that since the summer. My biscuits are inedible but my cornbread... it's blue ribbon quality!

• Like 2

nor did any Drs.

Moved some of our arborvitae into the house. Call it a Christmas tree. Not really "feelin' it" this year or yet.

folks might just get a heartfelt Happy Holidays, es todo

made more of a Christmas bush this year. Tried making a cone of fence wire to use as a form to stick branches in. Concept works. Needs some refinement in execution. Actually decorated it. A couple strings of lights and some garland. No ornaments. Kittens.....

not quite pine or fir fragrance....  I think is a arborvitae  a cedar. Close enough...

Edited by grasshopper
  • Like 4

We've got mine and my brother's old toybox in here that's been used as a den coffee table for years. Half inch cedar made in the 20s by papaw that still smelled good in the 60s when I used it. Upside down with the top blacked out completes the wood and slate look in here. Nothing else smells clean and outdoors fresh like cedar!

IMG-20191219-225015.jpg

• Like 5

yeah, it does

This is sticky fresh. Been trimming the tree every year about this time. Will last a couple weeks. Then unceremoniously burned in the fireplace.

Truth be known, I would like to down the whole arborvitae. It's 6ft from the house and 30ft tall.Was gonna drop it a couple years ago, when I was working on the roof. Figured I would lay in down on the roof gently. Cut it up. Never happened. Now I don't care as long it stands longer than I do.

I know ... my time will come for snow and [relative]] cold  Daffodils and narcissus are showing fresh leaves.. Half surprised the hyacinths haven't shown. The dafs and narcissus are OK to look at. Not so great smelling. The narcissus do not smell good at all, to me. Musty . Remind me of a funeral home. Hyacinths are one of my favorite smelling flowers. Not an acquired "taste" like some other flowers. You know... The people that think skunk smells good..

whoa... spellcheck is in English/English. Wants a "U" in favourite.

Edited by grasshopper
  • Like 2