Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Coffee, fried egg sandwich with habanero cheese the only thing that could have made that better was some spinach. Now time for some football, hopefully the Vikings pull off a great win against the Broncos, unlike my Cornhuskers.

Had some cronies over last night, one that we haven't seen in a few years.  We enjoyed Oktoberfest beers, along with some good vinyl on the new setup.  My one buddy is a sound guy on the side, so we were tweaking the system a bit.  One day when we haven't been drinking, hes going to come by and help me fine tune the eq setting,  regardless it did sound pretty good.

JL the fire looks nice.

Tarheel I wouldn't mind hearing more about the cauliflower crust, my wife has a wheat allergy and we have to find creative ways to make good pizza.

Looks like Mark is living the life of a bachelor.

Todd, RTR's are something I just don't have time for, good luck with that one.  

Dtel, I stay that young looking by smoking, and drinking a lot :blink:

Time to go, have a good one folks.

• Like 8

• Moderators
Coffee, fried egg sandwich with habanero cheese

I had the same thing, without the sandwich. :(

Dtel, I stay that young looking by smoking, and drinking a lot

Sure didn't work for me :(

JL the fire looks nice.

it does look nice, and everyone knows a warm kitty is much better than a cold one.

• Like 8

Good late Sunday rainy windy Morning folks, Still Rainy here, and now they say through tomorrow, that's rain everyday for about 10 days now 

Had a tree fall across the drive that needed removal, had a dead 50' pine standing that we decided best to drop while the saw was there, Cut the wedge and just as the wedge got loose the damn tree cracked and pinched the saw and wedge  :angry:  couple wacks with an old double head Ax and the job was complete......Can sleep now without worrying when / if that dead 50 footer pine will land on the car :)

• Like 8

Morning gang

Was woke up by thunder & lightning east side in the hills, and on the west side down in the valley, zero rain, not a drop here.

Ground here is cracking due to dryness, front lawn looks like a minefeild. Good. have no need to mow.

CornDog is sounding good today.

Watching the news, we are looking at 75 and are under a red flag fire watch, dry wind.

Major Dickinsons Beans were on sale at Costco, along with a little Duggans we are talking a good start to the day.

post-57941-0-02180000-1443972404_thumb.g

• Like 8

Good early morning - afternoon everyone.   Great work on the Dual drawer project Duder!  I am currently waiting for my wood workers at the organ shop to help me make a HARD WOOD body for my Dual 506 ..   I went to wash the whole thing down in the sink after taking out of long term storage (have a NEW belt to install) and wouldn't you know, the case is vinyl wood grain over pressboard!!!  So, the damn thing expanded like a sponge!   I thought it was ALL plastic...   :wacko:

Good going on the RTR Todd.....   It looks like the baby brother to my model....   You can find plenty of pre-records on eBay which is where all of mine have been coming from.   I try to buy classical SEALED when I can find..   Sounds just like vinyl, only without the pops and surface noise, hiss is minimal, excellent separation and a bit more dynamic range too... ^_^   (but then again, you all know about my collection...)

Moving onto 8 tracks now, I have a few sealed carts from eBay coming in this week.  Damn thing actually sounds GOOD!  Most 8 track players (in most everyone's mind) in cars were not of good quality, misaligned and abused by heat and cold temps...   Higher quality home units proved to be much better and sound more like a reel to reel running at 3/4 ips. which they do...... well, this is what I have found with my Sony unit at least... :)

On a sad note, I lost the right channel Dynaco Mark III during a Saturday night session on RTM !   Tremendous 120 Hz. ac hum filled the right side of the room!   Went over and found the right most KT-88 was in severe 'RED plate' mode !!   Quickly shut it down...  No smell or smoke, just a VERY hot tube... I checked the bias with my meter and found it was OUT OF CONTROL with run-away voltage that would not hold my settings...    I looked it up right away online and the first article was on AUDIO KARMA which as explained by Wardsweb, was undergoing work.   The article was explaining the testing of voltages on tube sockets.  I went to look that up yesterday morning to get down to work, but the site is DOWN, so I am dead in the water with my trouble shooting until tomorrow (Oct. 5th) when it comes back up.....

So, moved the BOSE wave system into Music Hall so I can listen while a major revamp of the room is taking place.

Sorry for the long note, hope everyone get's through their wind, weather fire and smoke ok...   We have a nice day here in the NE however..

More later..

Enjoy the day........

...........Gary

• Like 8

Good Morning Folks

I like Chai, and Green tea's Hot.............add some raw Honey  :wub:  (Good for you too) I Love BOLD coffee as well, have been DeCaf for a few years now.  It gets fun finding a BOLD flavor DeCaf I like french  roast, ended up buying whole beans via internet

Used to get most of the caffeine from one can of Coca-Cola (non-Corn Syrup elixir). I'm in process of mostly changing over to Hansen's Natural Cola which is made from Kola Nuts and Cane Sugar. More money by far per oz than Coke's product but also, per Hansen's, no weird chemicals or preservatives. :)

• Like 3

Crikey...looking for a new coffee grinder and was consider manual as I've yet to own an electric "burr" grinder that wasn't messy and was consistent.  As I have a Turkish brass one we've used for years as a pepper grinder I decided to see what was out there in similar classic designs.

Went to Amazon and they had a host, many different brands but all pretty similar.  Hundreds of five star reviews...ALL stating "they'd rec'd the unit free or discounted for their honest, unbiased, rave review.  Those few not of that variety were more in the 3 star area. 

Any thoughts on something that really works?

Dave

• Like 4

Crikey...looking for a new coffee grinder and was consider manual as I've yet to own an electric "burr" grinder that wasn't messy and was consistent.  As I have a Turkish brass one we've used for years as a pepper grinder I decided to see what was out there in similar classic designs.

Went to Amazon and they had a host, many different brands but all pretty similar.  Hundreds of five star reviews...ALL stating "they'd rec'd the unit free or discounted for their honest, unbiased, rave review.  Those few not of that variety were more in the 3 star area. 

Any thoughts on something that really works?

Dave

I use a manual coffee bean grinder for spices (only) - no brand name on the one I own to give you but it works really well for grinding whole hard spices like fennel, black pepper, etc. Horizontal handle on top with the grinding hopper below that and a small drawer underneath. You may be able to do the reverse with a grinder that you restrict to coffee beans only. 

• Like 4

Hello Dave, sounds like another grinder adventure for you....  As you know, I am in love with my Kitchen Aid burr unit...  Set to FINE grind and for use in my old Pyrex glass peculator...

Thanks Chuck and Joe for your input on my poor Mark III.......      I put an ORIGINAL Gold Lion KT-88 and SAME THING, red plated!!

Then, tried swapping out the rectifier tube from the other amp. NO change....    It seems that what ever is feeding that tube socket (a CAP perhaps) has gone bad, and I believe these were replaced in the rebuild a while back....   Hopefully simple as that.  I will know more after I complete my voltage tests tomorrow evening.   Keep you all posted...

Meanwhile, RE-wiring all the PIPE speakers to the Allen concert organ, got a BluRay audio in the system, headphone out from the Cambridge Audio pre INTO the Bose AUX in.....   sounds good enough while I work...  :emotion-21:

• Like 5

Thanks, Joe.  Think I'll let the PAW decided between that one for cost effectiveness, and this one for looks since we are remodeling that vintage upstairs in Texarkana next year for our retirement how.  It's 104.00 delivered from Prime.

Dave

post-7390-0-95340000-1443981640_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Afternoon gang

5 mile walk and double CornDog day.

Tiger should keep us updated with his KT88 problem, as im running them here also.

Coffee Grinder is BD electric here, throw in the Beans and shake it wile grinding, 5sec too much shakin and it rewards you with powder.

Guinness and a Nap should finish off the day.

60Min/Madam Sec tonight, lets see what a woman can do running this country :wub:  

• Like 7