Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Easter Sunday, April Fools all on the same. I would like to think that our current temperature of 30 degrees, 30 degrees Below normal, is indeed an April Fools joke. But alas the thermometer And Alexa confirm that yes it IS only 30 degrees. I believe the Easter Bunny has or will freeze his eggs off ---- ?!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Happy Easter, Happy April, or Happy Spring Festivus.

Waiting for an emergency visit from furnace guy to restore heat to the upper unit of the recently acquired duplex.  My younger son, his lady friend and three cats moved in prematurely (apparently they need to vacate old place by 4/1).  So day one of landlordship starts with an 8am call complaining of no heat . . . damn tenants and their trivial complaints. ;)

While waiting for the tech, I fired up the KP-201s headed to the middle school band while I work on the H2s my son selected.  Pandora sourced “Bill Evans Radio” sounds mighty nice from these Klipsch Pro speakers when only powered by a mildly hot-rodded TDA7297 chip amp.  The photo is from the Internet, but is similar to the pre-modified one I got for ~$5.00.

428C9205-470F-4E66-9A51-F2770A3D9A5A.jpeg

• Like 3

We had tenants when we bought this place. Ugh. The side $$ was nice. but a pita. we have "tenants" now... just staying for free. Whata deal?!?

no heat is no problem today, here. I have the place open already. Overcast and warm. Average is 75`. It's prolly 65` going for 85`.

I was on duty at 7:30. The kid keeps my hours. Her dad and Nana were sawing logs while we had pancakes and "coffee". Watered the plants.

Can't dance. That is a for sure fight with wife....  Music at 8:30 is just asking for it. So we are watching PawPatrol... 

• Like 2

The tech arrived and we diagnosed the problem.  The 90 year-old metal heat registers are at the stripper in Romulus near DTW airport to remove decades of lead paint.  BTW, the other kind of strippers are also near the airport.  Apparently, NIMBY applies to both kinds.

IMO, unwarranted concern the cats would crawl into the uncovered ducts and fall to their doom, prompted the human occupants to block the ducts, which prevented heat from entering the apartment, while tripping an overload switch, which prevented the burner from igniting.

I’ll put hardware cloth over the openings until the registers are back.  While I think even cats are smart enough to not crawl into the furnace, the guards will prevent the smell of burning cats from permeating the dwelling, just in case.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

The tech arrived and we diagnosed the problem.  The 90 year-old metal heat registers are at the stripper in Romulus near DTW airport to remove decades of lead paint.  BTW, the other kind of strippers are also near the airport.  Apparently NIMBY applies to both kinds.

IMO, unwarranted concern the cats would crawl into the uncovered ducts and fall to their doom, prompted the human occupants to block the ducts, which prevented heat from entering the apartment, while tripping an overload switch, which prevented the burner from igniting.

I’ll put hardware cloth over the openings until the registers are back.  While I think even cats are smart enough the crawl into the furnace, the guards will prevent the smell of burning cats from permeating the dwelling, just in case.

Hardware cloth, I'm amazed how many people at the box stores and even hardware stores do not know what that is.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Some of them do not even know what a skyhook or lumber stretcher is. Home Depot was no help at all....

Happy Easter!

I find a lumber stretcher to be invaluable with my all-thumbs approach to wood working. Rarely do I cut anything properly, at least not the first time ?!?!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richieb said:

I find a lumber stretcher to be invaluable with my all-thumbs approach to wood working. Rarely do I cut anything properly, at least not the first time ?!?!

Son of a master carpenter and can barely build a dog house. Measure twice cut once they say. I never took the time. When I was working for a lumber company  at a tender and naïve age, foreman sent me looking for a lumber stretcher. They had a real hoot at my expense...:blush:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Having watched Kareem Abdul Jabbar in person many times ... i know what a skyhook is.

Cannot recall the exact movie but, yes he showed Bruce Lee a thing or two about skyhooks...cool

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

on the opposite end

at the bowling alley, if you asked for a hammer, more often than not, you would be handed a bowling pin ... "No, I need a 'hammer"

--- but think of the "hammering" possibilities a bowling pin presents. You have the obvious "big end" pounding end, the smaller neck portion for tight spots and either end for small or big "ramming". Did you Really need a hammer?! I believe your thinking was shortsighted -- ?!?! 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

actually, i would have thought of a bowling ball ... the hammer was a nice ball once upon a time. 

they work very well.

ironically, it was my ball, a Hammer, that rolled off a 4ft high shelf and landed on my big toe.  I bowled that night ... after 1/2 bottle of schnapps. 

I gained a nickname at Lihue that night --- MushToe

no. Steel toed boots are not typically worn. Sneakers are standard fare.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WillyBob said:

they work very well.

ironically, it was ball, a Hammer, that rolled off a 4ft high shelf and landed on my big toe.  I bowled that night ... after 1/2 bottle of schnapps. 

I gained a nickname at Lihue that night --- MushToe

my favorite was by Track ... Triton Elite.   Had much success with that ball. 

• Like 4