Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

12 minutes ago, 001 said:

oddly , enough ,  it was the Peace and Love Generation  who promised to protect the birds and the bees , and the Planet  -

Peace is good, Loving is good.

“We don’t have to save her.  She can save herself.  We just have to stop making her sick.”

https://www.cathycashspellman.com/a-native-american-perspective-on-the-body-of-mother-earth/

17 minutes ago, 001 said:

oddly , enough ,  it was the Peace and Love Generation  who promised to protect the birds and the bees , and the Planet  -

— only to grow up and become money grubbing pigs - . Destroying and consuming everything in their path in pursuit of the American Way they once despised. The makers of Suburbia - 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

Define respected scientists.  Isn't Fauci a respected scientist?

Yes.

If you continue to argue with stupid people over things that you don't have the absolute answers to, well then, you may have to have someone else, evaluate your intellect.  

Of course, but I don't think one has to put a good argument for something they have researched and believe in to have an "absolute" answer to. I still stand by what 97 percent of the climatologist believe in and if any are on the forum I hope they join in.

This, was not any attack on you, just my thought for the day.

Sure. I didn't take it as such. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Weather is not climatology.  Of course we don't know everything, nor can we predict the future, but it has been measured that average global temperatures are increasing, and ice at the poles is melting.  Beyond that?    We will have to deal with it.

Excellent comment. 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

But even in Arkansas this past winter they had records never recorded before. -9 in Conway, - 11 in Ozark. What happens in our time is a short blip in the big timeline.

Fwiw, I think this could be a weather phenomenon instead of a global climate issue.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Weather is not climatology.

from my narrow point of view... our summer weather has returned to what we knew as normal. We are getting monsoon rains. again today

speaking of which

I opted to bring the kittens in the house. the rains brought up

kinda sorta. Colorado River Toads. They're big and slow and have no need to hurry. They carry a nuke. Any animal that makes the mistake of ingesting their toxin/s will not do that again. It dries down to a very potent hallucinogen. The native peoples did not mess with it...here's your sign...

• Haha 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I think this could be a weather phenomenon instead of a global climate issue.

Very possible, I wasn't thinking it was anything to do with any overall climate change but extremely unusually cold or hot weather is most likley just a weather phenomenon not an overall global event.

An event that changes climates world wide is El Nino and La nina, it is usuially pretty drastic changes, or can be and happens every few years.

https://www.weather.gov/media/owlie/2018_ENSO.pdf

La-Nina-vs-El-Nino-734x243.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

the only constant is change....

---------------------------------------------------------

another remarkably normal AM. We're liking. Got 1/2 -3/4inch of rain yesterday. More predicted this afternoon.... hopefully, that forecast will continue through  Aug.

If this were to happen long term things would be much greener, can you hear the sucking sound as the rain hits the dry ground ? :unsure2:

• Haha 2

the first rain sizzled when it hit the ground. The second softened it up a little. Now it's ready to soak up some water.

in a decent rainy season, yes, this place greens up. It dries up for a couple months, then there is a winter wet season. It has been exceptionally dry [even for a desert] for the past couple years.,

summer here is like the rest of the country with less humidity

• Like 2

The little town of Lytton, BC, can’t catch a break.  After 3 days of breaking all-time Canadian high temperature records (49.6C/121.3F was the highest one), a wildfire came in on Wednesday, June 30th, and now 90% of the town has been burned to the ground.  There was an immediate evacuation order, so nearly everyone got away safely, except for two people.  Shelter provisions were set up very quickly in some nearby towns, and now the RCMP and other agencies are trying to account for everyone.  Hopefully, there will be no more fatalities.

Even at this early stage, it’s been suggested that the town be rebuilt at another location.

There have been about 2000 lightning strikes across southern BC in the last few days, and now there are 102 wildfires burning in the province.  And this is just the start of wildfire season here.

• Sad 5

23 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Yeah, and guess what....we are still trying and fighting to protect the birds and the bees and the planet.  Yes, us awful boomers.

& I'm one of the ones after that gen. Didn't want that Indian Chief to cry, so sad for a manly man to shed a tear... or the cartoon bear reminding me that it was my job to prevent it. I did and I still do, probably won't stop ever. Lately? (20 years) I've refused to pick up the trash thrown out of cars where I used to live because I was only enabling them. And it's so much more, so how come my peers didn't teach their kids what we were taught? Can't say `cause it could be religious and political.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

& I'm one of the ones after that gen. Didn't want that Indian Chief to cry, so sad for a manly man to shed a tear... or the cartoon bear reminding me that it was my job to prevent it. I did and I still do, probably won't stop ever. Lately? (20 years) I've refused to pick up the trash thrown out of cars where I used to live because I was only enabling them. And it's so much more, so how come my peers didn't teach their kids what we were taught? Can't say `cause it could be religious and political.

In a word................respect. For themselves and any and everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

that's what I like about this little burg. We don't wait or ask for govt help fixing things like trash accumulation at the lake ... left by out of towners... We just arrange a day and we all go pickin'. If a neighbors needs a hand, someone will be there. I paid for a commercial water hook up because the gal that needed it only had enough for a residential... I used to cut the grass at the park... simply because it needed done. Nobody asked or paid for it...

I'm not blowing my own horn... this is what folk do around here. Govt doesn't mind us doing that. They insist we involve them in matters of law enforcement. Bad people used to just disappear. ............. Abandoned mines might have a "resident" or two...

• Like 3