Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

I have the cabinets and the drivers...but I won't be modifying either....just sayin.

If I knew it would be better and was not expensive I would do it... Problem is I would need 12 drivers, and I am not going to spend that kind of money with no idea on how it will sound.

I just thought of a way that you could test it without modifying... Do the 7II have bi-amp capability? If they do just disconnect the woofer on 1 La Scala, and run a pair of the 7II speakers (woofers only) to it. You could put one 7II on each side of a La Scala and a/b with a unmodified La Scala.

• Like 1

Just as a side note while Youthman dials is his stuff, the first time I heard an all Heritage system was at Sunburnwilly's house. I remember how amazed I was at the sound coming from those older looking clunky wood boxes. Methinks I'll regret getting rid of all my Heritage stuff but I must scale things down.

McMira, if I'm understanding you correctly, that would put the bottom of the LaScalas slightly higher than the top of the RSW-15? Are you referring to all 3 the same height like they are now?

If I did that, again, I'm not sure how it will sound with the LaScalas being that high up in the air with the horns much higher than my ears. If I angled the LaScalas downward, again, I don't know how that would effect the sound since the sound is having to go through an AT Screen.

Our Belle Klipsch Center speaker is on a strong shelf just above our RSW15 sub. That puts the Belle tweeter just barely above the line of the tweeters of the Klipschorns that make up our flanking Right and Left channels. The Belle top is separate from the bottom, so we have the top, containing the midrange and tweeter, aimed slightly down, which aims it right at the ears of a person sitting in the center seat. We have Audyssey and ran it with the Semour AT screen between the Belle and all 8 mic positions. Audyssey ended up boosting the highs a little (as well as smoothing them out), about + 6 dB at 16K Hz. I haven't tried running it without the screen in the way, but it does sound good (excellent!), and I suspect most of the boost at 16 K was due to the Belle tweeter (K77F, same as in the La Scalla II). By the way, Audyssey also cut down a peak at about 8 K (through the screen), and, of course, made many other changes, given its hundreds of EQ points. REW confirms that -- from the center seat, not the 8 mic positions Audyssey uses -- the Audyssey Reference ("Movie") modified curve, through the screen, is very flat (+/- 1.5 dB) from about 900 Hz to 7 K HZ, then follows the Movie curve from there on up (- 2dB at 8 K, - 6 dB at about 16/17 K, where the k-77F stops).

If you don't have Audyssey, or something like it, with luck, the AT screen will just provide a little of the roll-off that is appropriate for most movies you run in your HT. I predict that the AT screen, even with the tweeter pointed down, will make hardly any difference, but I'm glad we have Audyssey to cause the net effect to conform to the cinema curve.

I need to find an RF7ii that I can turn into a center channel speaker. No chance of me fitting LaScalas no matter what they sound like.

Youth keeps telling me how great they are and honestly I hope I don't like them as much as my 7ii's so there is no itch to scratch....

I always liked the 83's until I heard the 7's and 7ii's. To me they really knocked it out of the park. Are the LaScalla's really that much better than a stock set of 7ii's?

Wish I could A/B that.

wake just go pro cinema buddy! Three kpt-325's across the front. And if you google image the kpt-904, bills son photoshopped one and have it grills and a top hat. It would look awesome out in the open. And I'm sure you could veneer them or something!!

I remember when i had my la scalas the mid range and clarity of the high notes was amazing, BUT, what i loved most about the la scala was the horn bass. I was in love with the way the bass just SOUNDED, although maybe not that low in actual hz. I had a paradigm servo 15" sub hooked up with la scala at one point, which is a 15" sealed sub, and it sounded ok. I went on to a tht by bill fitzmaurice and it was a huge huge improvement. I dare to say now the sealed 15 sounded terrible, just not right with the la scala. I know the rsw 15" is a more capable sub but still a sealed 15" with a PR. Get your self a nice horn sub and you will be in a different world. Setup looks amazing FYI and really enjoy reading this thread.

Alex

• Moderators
Just as a side note while Youthman dials is his stuff

I haven't done any adjustments, simply plug and play using the same auto calibration settings from the RF-83's.

I remember how amazed I was at the sound coming from those older looking clunky wood boxes.

I've always disliked the look of the "older" Klipsch speakers but the more I listen to the, the prettier they get. LOL I'm still surprised at how a 24 year old stock speaker can sound better than a modern day speaker. I guess I've finally tasted the Heritage Koolaid and me likes the taste.

If you don't have Audyssey, or something like it

I've never owned a receiver with Audyssey. Yamaha YPAO and Harman Kardon EZ Setup is what I have had. Not sure how they compare to Audyssey.

wake just go pro cinema buddy! Three kpt-325's across the front. And if you google image the kpt-904, bills son photoshopped one and have it grills and a top hat. It would look awesome out in the open. And I'm sure you could veneer them or something!!

The way his custom setup is, he has to go with a center channel no larger than the RC-64ii behind the screen. No room underneath the screen for a center.

what i loved most about the la scala was the horn bass. I was in love with the way the bass just SOUNDED

So far, that's my least favorite about the LaScala. Again, currently it is way out in the middle of the room so that might change once I put it up against the front wall.

Get your self a nice horn sub and you will be in a different world.

I'm going to follow up with the local Danley Dealer tomorrow. He was supposed to call me back on Monday but I'm thinking he forgot. I'm going to get a quote on a single or 2 DTS20 and then I will see if he might be interested in bartering for Custom Website Design as his website really looks dated and is likely using old coding and when I tried to email him through is Contact form on his website, it kicked back and error and would not send. I've bartered for a lot of stuff so hopefully he will be interested.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Haha. I had no idea what you meant. I love to barter when I can because in my work, most of it is just my time so there is typically very little out of pocket expense. I bartered for my false wall, for brick pavers, screened in porch, seamless designer gutters and several other audio equipment over the years.

• Like 1