Belle or LaScala

rwd3543

RWD3543,

Welcome to the forum.

For beauty(my opinion), Belles all day.

For availability, La Scalas are more plentiful.

Now if you can find a pair of Belles for the going price of La Scalas, Belles again.

Truthfully, either will give you close to the same musical satisfaction.

Bill

Thanks Bill

For the welcome and the advice.

Going price?

1500 for 1995 Belle in black, good?

I think that is a fair price, that would be the higher end for Scalas, but for belles in good shape, a no brainer.

Just keep in mind heritage speakers should have their crossovers refreshed, Bells and Scalas are aprox $300 and change or cheaper if you Re-cap yourself.

Just my opinion, I have been dealing with Khorns, Scalas, and just let a pair of Bells go for $1500.

Keep your eye on the "Garage Sale" section here, a few of us post area CL finds all the time.

Edited by minermark

You can't go wrong with either ! I prefer Belles but just by a hair over Lascala's and actually would prefer LSI Splits over both. Lascala's will be the easiest to find and give you the best bang for your buck.

$1500 for Belles is a good price !

Looking to upgrade from Quartets and Heresy's.

The question is do I go with Belle or LaScala

Power Supplied by Pioneer SX850

In your topic title, I recommend repairing the coordinating conjunction "or" to "and" . . . Repaired topic would the read: "Belles and La Scalas"! ;-)

I'm partial. The Belles are the queen of the ball. Easily the most beautiful speaker Paul ever made.

Now as far as those crossovers go I would listen to any speaker I buy first as it. There is a certain magic to some of these original crossovers even with their old oil can caps.

The question is do I go with Belle or LaScala

I take it you are wanting to buy second hand units. If not, get La Scala IIs ... slightly better bass, and a very positive review from Stereophile.

For used units, the Belle looks better. Even though all drivers are the same, the La Scala has a longer midrange horn. We settled on a Belle, for beauty, for a center channel for our Home Theater. Our flanking Khorns sounded a little more spatial, with the same drivers, but with the longer mid horn (the same one as in La Scalas). Some years have passed, and we now have hidden the center speaker behind a large acoustically transparent screen, so we wish we had a La Scala II back there.

Rank orders, with # 1 being the best, IMO:

For sound: 1) La Scala II, 2) La Scala 3) Belle

For beauty: 1) Belle 2) La Scala II 3) La Scala

Any of them will have great dynamics and transient response. With any of them, I predict you will want a subwoofer for certain kinds of music, but it can probably be cut in below 60 Hz (our Belle, in our room, has a little peak at 60 Hz, then drops like a rock). IMO, Audyssey XT, or higher, helps smooth out the response.

• Like 1

I'm partial. The Belles are the queen of the ball. Easily the most beautiful speaker Paul ever made.

Now as far as those crossovers go I would listen to any speaker I buy first as it. There is a certain magic to some of these original crossovers even with their old oil can caps.

welcome to the forum rwd

couldn't have said it better JL, about the crossovers. buy the speakers and just enjoy them. they should sound fine as is

remember LaScalas are 2 feet deep and made of plywood where Belles are 18" and has furniture grade veneer and as someone said above the prettiest speaker Klipsch ever built.

I would take a Belle everyday of the week over the LaScala. 1500-2000 should get you a great set in todays market.

Edited by Budman

& don't think 1995's will be Oil Cans...

couldn't have said it better about the crossovers. buy the speakers and just enjoy them. they should sound fine as is

I have owned both, but never had them side by side for a comparison. The Belles look better IMO, but the LaScalas have the larger mid horn that might have some benefits. A tough choice that's for sure.