building my own la scala ii's

I have a friend that's got quite a bit if wood working tools and skills. I talked to him toying the idea of building my own set of la scalas, and possibly a set of belle's as well. He came up with some great looking hardwoods. What do you all recommend building out of? I'd like to stay with solid wood and avoid mdf and what not. He suggested purple heart, or rose wood. Any input is appreciated.

Mdf will be very heavy but will work well. If you have access to 13 ply Baltic birch 3/4" plywood I would suggest you go that route. It is very stiff (and pretty heavy) but much better than the Home Depot plywoods that have voids and less plys. A sheet is $56 around these parts. You will have to veneer them to get them pretty. Good luck.

1" on the bottom end in baltic. it's been done before and they looked beautiful.

if you did that you could make a different HF section and mount it above. if you desired.

Edited by Schu

I would go with 1 layer of 3/4" Birch plywood, and then another layer of 3/4" veneered plywood of whatever type wood you like... Or use another layer of Birch, and pick a nice veneer for the final layer. Ultimately I would go with a cabinet that is 1" -1 1/2" thick.

• Like 1

here is a bacic LaScala bin in MDF with one good set of braces two sets would be better. See how the brace extends almost to the mouth which is where all the action is and where you need the strength of a brace the most. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Here is a LaScala with twin braces and clever use of paint to great effect. See link for info and more ideas in the thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/user/45505-mach-1/?tab=reputation&app_tab=forums&type=received&st=90

post-44375-0-97980000-1401993080_thumb.j

post-44375-0-01860000-1401993866_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

I would go with 1 layer of 3/4" Birch plywood, and then another layer of 3/4" veneered plywood of whatever type wood you like... Or use another layer of Birch, and pick a nice veneer for the final layer. Ultimately I would go with a cabinet that is 1" -1 1/2" thick.

Unless you are panning on using subs, I would build Quarter Pie horns instead of LaScalas so you have some real smooth bass an octave lower. But, I'm biased.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Baltic Birch or equivalent plywood or MDF would be your best choice, stay away from solid wood.

I prefer plywood for its durability plus its lightweight & does not soak up water like a sponge if it gets wet.

Good luck with your project, be sure to post pictures (we like pictures).

• Moderators

Mdf will be very heavy but will work well. If you have access to 13 ply Baltic birch 3/4" plywood I would suggest you go that route. It is very stiff (and pretty heavy) but much better than the Home Depot plywoods that have voids and less plys. A sheet is $56 around these parts. You will have to veneer them to get them pretty. Good luck.

Home depot must vary in there stock, this is 3/4" Oak from home depot @ $50 a sheet (a few years ago). Used 12 sheets for 4 bass bins and found only a couple of voids smaller than 1/4" after cutting all sheets .

But it was only 3/4'', a specialty wood supplier should have 1".

post-9700-0-11520000-1402245878_thumb.jp

You did mean 18mm right Longdrive? :)

Bad thing about the genuine article is that it only comes in 5'x5'(oops, i meant 1524mm ;) )sheets. At least that is the only way I have been able to find it and I have used it quite a bit.

Edited by jorjen

it will be just a little while before i start building them. if they don't sound so great in the bedroom, ill just swap it with my garage system. i am currently insulating and putting up walls in the garage. soon to come is air-conditioning! then i will start on the la scales, and possibly belles. pictures will surely be taken. don't laugh!!

here is a bacic LaScala bin in MDF with one good set of braces two sets would be better. See how the brace extends almost to the mouth which is where all the action is and where you need the strength of a brace the most. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Here is a LaScala with twin braces and clever use of paint to great effect. See link for info and more ideas in the thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/user/45505-mach-1/?tab=reputation&app_tab=forums&type=received&st=90

Moray, my man, now your talking :):emotion-21::emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21: