Dead receiver?

Chad

holy crap.

I just tried a different power cord and it powered up.

That is a first for me.

I'm a little in shock. So I'll just say for now...thanks!

Let's hope that was the only issue.

Chad(and Daryl),

That is great news.  Keep us informed and let's hope you will be jamming to some rocking tunes by Friday.

Bill

• Like 1

I'd try the "defective" cord on another electronic component to verify it was actually the problem and not a coincidence.

Totally agree with this, and to make sure it's not the actual hard-wired connector (socket) on the Marantz that's the issue.

I'd try the "defective" cord on another electronic component to verify it was actually the problem and not a coincidence.

Totally agree with this, and to make sure it's not the actual hard-wired connector (socket) on the Marantz that's the issue.

The socket being the issue would be more logical.  Wiggling the cords in and out may have allowed it to make contact.

• Like 1

I would not try the problem cord on anything. If it has been pinched or is damaged it could toast whatever you plug in with it. Cords are too cheap to do that IMO

It's either shorted or open.  If it's shorted, your breaker would trip but you'd think there would be a noticeable flaw externally.  Plug it into the wall, then the receiver.  More than likely it's open if it's bad.  I'd still think it's in the back of the receivers plug socket.

Edited by CECAA850

• Administrators
Be sure to give your electrical engineers a swift kick in the nuts for not locating the problem during inspection.

HA! To be fair, I did kind of just spring it on Andy when he was getting ready to leave for the day. It wasn't a true bench test.

I think i did try to wiggle the old cord around a little where it connects to the back of the unit at one point.

• Like 1

I would not try the problem cord on anything. If it has been pinched or is damaged it could toast whatever you plug in with it. Cords are too cheap to do that IMO

It's either shorted or open.  If it's shorted, your breaker would trip but you'd think there would be a noticeable flaw externally.  Plug it into the wall, then the receiver.  More than likely it's open if it's bad.  I'd still think it's in the back of the receivers plug socket.

As has been said here, maybe forget the cord and look at the connection on receiver. The changing of cord could have just revived unit at receiver connector.

Its easy to get cords swapped from the right piece of equipment to the wrong. There is probably nothing wrong with the cord, but some sockets on them are more "sloppy" than others. I had the wrong one for my sub and it would vibrate loose and lose connection when turned up pretty good.  When it regained it with that much power draw, the sound was some pretty ugly pops and thumps. At that point the cable went in the trash.

Come on Chad, give us some feedback on the new sound!

• Like 1

As has been said here, maybe forget the cord and look at the connection on receiver. The changing of cord could have just revived unit at receiver connector.

Easy enough to check, do a wiggle test on the plug.

If the unit shuts off during the test with the new cable the problem could lie in the male terminal connection of the receiver.

• Like 1