La Scala help please

Terry Jakich

My first post, so I would really appreciate some help.

I recently picked up a very nice pair of la scalas with the AL crossovers.

Has anyone here changed to the crites crossovers and or the replacement tweeter that he markets? How would you characterize the difference in sound. Was the change or changes an improvement or not. Thank you all.

• Like 1

AL crossovers were introduced in 1983, meaning your crossovers could definitely use some new capacitors.  If you can use a soldering iron, wirestrippers, and a wirecutter, this can easily be done at home.  You can order the caps from Crites.  Or, there are also other crossover resources here on the forum that will build all new crossovers for you as well.

Now, as far as the tweeter diaphragm, that again is an easy swap-out (no soldering required), and lots of folks like the smoother response.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your great (new) speakers.  We like pictures!!

Sorry, I just noticed that you had said replacement tweeters.  As stated above though, you can change out the diaphragms in your existing tweeters easily in about 10 minutes.  Crites sells those replacement titanium diaphragms, and also shows a tutorial on how to do it on his website.

Edited by jimjimbo

Welcome to the forum, and don't forget to read what is already been written about your subject in many posts.....

Use the "search" option to find more info about crossovers, cap changing and alternatives; there's plenty info around!

Enjoy your La Scala's . B)

I put Crites CT-125 tweets and A/4500 crossovers in my LaScala's and noticed quite a bit better clarity as well as defined soundstage.  My original crossovers were not only 25 or so years old but looked like they'd been fiddled with.  I agree with Carlooch.

I'm no expert, I only play one on TV but the way Bob explained it to me is that his Ct125 tweeters will give a consistent and well defined sound to the upper frequencies. Whether they are louder or softer than your particular pair of stock K77s depends on the K77s you happened to get. The stock drivers were inconsistent and had to be matched up in each pair of Lascalas. This is what I was told by Bob. I bought a pair because one of my K77s was blown and at that time replacement diaphragms were not available. They sound nice. But....... and there is always a but, the biggest improvement I have made so far is replacing the Squawker horn (midrange) with a wooden tractix horn.

Welcome to the Forums. Enjoy the Lascalas.

I found the 125's only marginally more sizzling than the original driver.

Not enough to call it an upgrade... more akin to a refresh with very slight improvement. I guess it does extend slightly higher.

Edited by Schu

I want to thank all of you for your replies and welcoming me to the forum. I had Heresy lls for the past 25 years and loved them , but the lascalas were always a dream for me. Initially, I was disappointed when I first hooked them up , but not now. These things are fantastic! I just had to let my ears acclimate. And to babadono, I think that is next on my list.

Thank you gentlemen.

Not knowing your budget or overall interest....  before you 'upgrade' anything on your LaScalas, you should do a search on "JubeScala" and see if something like that might intrigue you.

Situation:  It's taking the 3 way LaScala to a 2-way speaker

* It's been 100% engineered by Klipsch

* Typically used with an active crossover (but I think a passive design now exists)

* You could then sell your existing mid horn and tweeter towards recovering costs

* I've heard the difference and have owned LaScalas since buying them new in 1979.  Upgrading to the JubeScala (if it fits your desires and wallet) will be a significant improvement over the crossover changes and tweeter changes.

Note above, the astute comment by Babadono about swapping out the midrange horn for something different.  he's right on however, realize that you can put something in there that was engineered by Klipsch or, you can put something in there that might sound good but was designed by someone else for various uses.  I'll admit I'm partial to keeping it in the Klipsch family.

• Like 1