Your first song

mudhog

Just wondering, when you get some new equipment such as speakers do you have a certain song (music) already picked out for the first test drive. If so what is it? I am new on here because I'm just now buying my first klipsch used La Scalla's and I can't wait to hook them up and put on Norah Jones "sinking soon". What about you?

• Like 2

generally speaking only picking one song, Dire Straits, "Money For Nothing".  Cranked up to 11.  

second favorite, Smashing Pumpkins "Mayonaise", actually the entire Siamese Dreams album, mainly to see how well it can take me back to the 90's without thinking I'm listening to the equipment, but this Mayonaise has some real nice dynamics, lovely emotional intro, and way cool stereo imaging and interesting back story on the guitar solo, as he bought a broken guitar from a pawn shop for $50 and it had this non-reproducible swooshing noise that he recorded.  I like to crank this one up in total darkness.  

the drums on Enter Sandman to judge how well the attack sounds

my favorite back in the day for this purpose would be "Incommunicado" by Jimmy Buffett, real nice keyboards

• Like 1

Dalis Car is generally the first thing I put on... then I spiral outward from there to other known baseline recordings.

It also depends on if I am playing analog or digital.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

MLO I like your taste of music and I have all of your choices except for smashing pumpkins but I do like them. Tubular bells wow I have not heard that one mentioned in a long time, i did own that single and now I want to hear it with the klipsch.

• Like 1

I can't narrow it down to one song.  

Anything Steely Dan on a DVDA.  

A Night at the Opera on BluRay.  

Fleetwood Mac RUMORS on DVDA.

Dead Goon by Mr. Bungle.   The self titled album and their other albums as well have layer upon layer of hidden content that many speakers and/or systems can't bring out, the album is crazy good, but it is an acquired taste I must warn.

Getz/ Gilberto  Desafinado

• Like 1

generally speaking only picking one song, Dire Straits, "Money For Nothing".  Cranked up to 11.  

Definitely on my short list of demo songs. 

Anything Steely Dan

Me too.

Fleetwood Mac RUMORS

Me too again. :D  

Bill

• Like 2

A Night at the Opera on BluRay.  

as good as this is... "Selling England by the Pound" is much better.

Oh yeah. My older Genesis albums are limited, but Im sure this is a clean sounding dandy.  A night at the opera is a little crashy on the top end at times, but there are a few smooth tracks here and there on it.

• Like 1

Oh yeah...  A night at the opera is a little crashy on the top end at times, but there are a few smooth tracks here and there on it.

you noticed that to?

I thought it was just my system causing sibilance or compressed ugliness at the upper range.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

There are many other gems on "Brothers in Arms" CD especially if you have an early one. "Why Worry" and "Your Latest Trick" to name a couple. Let's see what else.....Avalon by Roxy Music, Last Train Home by Pat Metheny, The Nightfly by Donald Fagen, almost any Steely Dan.

• Like 1

second favorite, Smashing Pumpkins "Mayonaise", actually the entire Siamese Dreams album, mainly to see how well it can take me back to the 90's without thinking I'm listening to the equipment, but this Mayonaise has some real nice dynamics, lovely emotional intro, and way cool stereo imaging and interesting back story on the guitar solo, as he bought a broken guitar from a pawn shop for $50 and it had this non-reproducible swooshing noise that he recorded.  I like to crank this one up in total darkness.  

the drums on Enter Sandman to judge how well the attack sounds

my favorite back in the day for this purpose would be "Incommunicado" by Jimmy Buffett, real nice keyboards

Will try the "Sandman" Ironbutterfly drum solo works too.

Dire Straits is great, Ride Across the River. Alan Parsons "I Robot", Of course Steely Dan, Yes " Fragile" , Elton John "Honky Chateau" and get ready...Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" bad gear ruins it, good gear makes it listenable.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome Mudhog

And my answer is no, nothing in particular, last new speakers I had I stood there for 10 minutes trying to figure out what to play.

Realizing I was being silly I just grabbed something and ended up playing a little of everything switching regularly , it was to much pressure trying to pick one thing. :o    

Ever notice you start to play something and realize after a few minutes your not in the mood for that and have to switch ? 

• Like 2

I like to see how the bass is going to be handled with mids with some hardcore trance-Delirium (Sarah Mclaughlin's Silence) It has that thumping bass, keyboards,and quick fast paced beats along with her angelic voice. Then Billie Jean from Michael Jackson is also good. Metallica is always good with anything from Master of Puppets. Brothers In Arms is an awesome cd to listen to also.

As a side note, Billy Corgan purposely left his guitar that way for that sound,which I have always liked. Always loved that raw sound when they came out and were full of piss and vinegar.

Just wondering, when you get some new equipment such as speakers do you have a certain song (music) already picked out for the first test drive. If so what is it? I am new on here because I'm just now buying my first klipsch used La Scalla's and I can't wait to hook them up and put on Norah Jones "sinking soon". What about you?

Loved the Nora Jones.

Just call me slow.  Finally realized I can open files of music listed on a thread, stack them at the top of the page and preview and reject while also viewing Forum or whatever I'm doing on the computer.   :unsure: