11 year old son wants to go to Santana concert. What do you think?

JL Sargent

• Moderators

Yes, it is reserved seating. I'll be buying when first available so I expect them to be good seats.

Then it is a no brainer, take him. He will remember it for the rest of his life in a very positive way. I speak from experience.

My first concert was Santana when I was 7 years old, it was a free concert in Panhandle Park in San Francisco in 1967. I remember it very well and thought it was the best thing I had ever heard in my life. I started buying records of San Francisco bands from that point on.

With reserved seats it is not a problem, wedge him inbetwwen you and your wife so he doesn't wander off. Try to get the set lists from recent shows so you can play them for him before so he will understand the magic of live music. Santana is a big deal, and you never know when they may decide to hang em up for good.

He will thank you for it numerious times. Just think, you will be sitting around 20 years from now with his friends and the subject will come up, what was your first concert, and they will say things like Hanna Montana, Justin Bieber, or today's version on New Kids (in my day parents took their kids to see Kiss), and they will laugh about how they used to be into that teenybopp stuff and then it will get to your son and he will say "Carlos Devadip Santana" and they will all say "no way, you were so lucky."

The only downside is that it sets a very high standard. How you going to top that?

Travis

• Like 1

You guys cant be serious thinking an 11 year old would be going by himself or only with same age friends.  JL, I imagine you mean you or some other responsible adult will be with them.  If so, I think it would be horrible not to take him to a Santana concert.  Obviously the little guy has great taste, and must be interested in music.  Don't deprive the experience all things being equal.

Orianthi Panageris (cute blonde guitarist) started playing acoustic guitar at 7 in Adelaide Australia. She was 11 when her dad took her to see Santana. The night she decided she wanted to play Electric guitar. Fast forward about 7 years later, the 18 year old girl sends Carlos a demo tape of herself. So, he invites her to the band's rehearsal. They jammed and he was so blown away by the way she played all his licks, that he invited her to be on stage at the actual concert for 45 minutes. He then brought her to the US in 2006 and she went toe to toe with him at the NAM show. She sings like Michele Branch, has her own band, was Michael Jackson's chosen lead guitarist for his ill fated comeback (she's in the movie This is It). At 29 just got done touring with Alice Cooper and has worked with Steve Vai, as his protege.

My point is you never know what can happen to an 11 year old when he or she is taken to a Santana concert by Dad!

When I was 14, I missed Jeff Beck with Rod Steward, Led Zeppelin, Cream at the Grande Ballroom and and Jimi Hendrix at Cobo Hall in Detroit because I was too young and my Dad would never take me in a million years. It would have been nice.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

Tickets have been purchased. Looks like we are 15 or so rows back and center of the stage. Both my wife and son jumped with joy at the news.

Congrats!  I'm sure you guys will have a great time. 

Despite my advice to the contrary, I have no doubt you are doing the right thing.  Anytime a decision is thoughtful, and you include both your wife and son in the decision making, things will turn out right almost all the time.

You will be there to control and safeguard your son, and your wife will be there to keep an eye on you...what could go wrong?  B)

Edited by wvu80

You Have to take him.  Weather he knows it or not, He is wanting to do something that will help him with the Father Son bonding that is so important, yet missed out on by so many people.  If not now, when?

When my kids were pre-school I could take them anywhere with me.  Only one time did we have a behaviour issue.  Relatives would take the kids out for dinner, on vacations.  I never did hear of them miss behaving on these outings.  But we did get a lot of compliments on how well behaved they were.

I do remember having to tell my son no though.  He seen a sign saying Winnemucca 350 miles and wanted to go.    Had to tell him I did not think his mother would approve.

• Like 1

Carl and I took his 9 year old son and my 8 year old son to a combined Scorpions/AC DC cover band concert. We got asked to leave at the midpoint of the AC DC concert, as the boys were having too much fun dancing(in the judgement of the rent-a-cop), so we left. Three years later, our sons still talk about the great time they had before they got booted. It was a blast all the way around!

• Like 3

We went to see Santana in October at the Walmart AMP in Rogers, Arkansas. Definitely no problem with audience behavior! +1 on the ear plugs at any concert. At the Santana concert, we really didn't need earplugs. The way live music is mixed these days, I take a couple of extra pair, just in case. The better half lost one of hers at P!NK inn November 2012. Her ears are still ringing!

• Like 1

We saw Santana two years ago at the Oak Mountain Amphitheater. My wife was given top tier VIP tickets for that one which included free buffet and mixed drinks!!! I've got to say that was one of the best concerts I have been to. The band got in a great groove and stayed with it for two hours.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to see Santana in October at the Walmart AMP in Rogers, Arkansas. Definitely no problem with audience behavior! +1 on the ear plugs at any concert. At the Santana concert, we really didn't need earplugs. The way live music is mixed these days, I take a couple of extra pair, just in case. The better half lost one of hers at P!NK inn November 2012. Her ears are still ringing!

I have not tried these but they lower the SPL and preserve the sound quality:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1420846774&sr=8-7&keywords=ear+plugs