Do you like COVERS ?

joessportster

No not the kind that keep you warm Perv :P

I am talking about a band Covering another artists music,  I know its is supposed to be the highest form of appreciation, For me I really dislike most covers I hear

What brought this to mind is I just found an album I have "Tribute to Jimmi Hendrix" Which was given me by our own Justin Weber (Thanks Buddy)

Here are some I find very very good

1) Cat Powers cover of Patsy Clines, Shes got You

2)The Cure cover of Jimmi Hendrix, Purple Haze

I know there are some others I really like, please list some of the covers you like  :D

Statesboro Blues 

Written and first recorded (1928) by Blind Willie McTell.

Covered by many artists.  However, the 1971 (live) recording by The Allman Brothers Band is considered to be one of the best guitar recordings of all time.

No Jeff I had not seen that one, I love how his performance kinda forces the group to quiet down..............................IMHO he has one of the best voices I have heard

Matt, I have that johnny cash version and a couple more on the unearthed box set and I agree it is awesome

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 1

How about a band covering another band's ENTIRE ALBUM?

This was the tradition established by Phish in 1994 - a concept dubbed "The Musical Costume", performed on Halloween night. Phish did six such costumes:

1994 - The Beatles (White Album) - The Beatles

1995 - Quadrophenia  - The Who

1996 - Remain In Light - Talking Heads

1998 - Loaded - Velvet Underground

2009 - Exile On Main St. - Rolling Stones

2010 - Waiting For Columbus - Little Feat

The "costume" was kept a secret until the night of the show. There were three sets of music - the costume sandwiched between two sets of Phish. The lead up to the show was all about the guessing game as to what album would be covered - one of my favorite aspects of attending was the speculation leading up to the show as to what album would be done. These were extensively rehearsed and some of the most amazing live concerts I have ever seen. I was fortunate to see five of the six such costumes, each one special in it's own way, and a way for the band to pay homage to influences and the greats who came before them. Of the literally hundreds of concerts I have seen over my lifetime, these were a "drop everything and find a way to see it" type of event.

Phish has done two Halloween shows the last two years but not with the costume (I believe, primarily because of the rehearsal work involved - they don't tour and play together as much as they used to), and I miss the tradition dearly. Out of all of the possible special occasion shows rock bands do - New Year's Eve, festivals, hometown shows - this was the best special occasion concept ever invented by a rock band. Greeeeaaat stuff......