sorry guys

Paducah Home Theater

First of all I'm incredibly sorry to the admins for posting the picture of the returned check yesterday. I had hoped that I have met some like-minded friends that may be understanding of my plight in dealing with a bum check from a different state that is over twice as large as what it takes to be considered a felony, and based on my private messages I think I was right, but I realize the details were still inappropriate considering the venue, but were overlooked at the time due to emotions. If the topic had not been locked I'd explain it there, but anyway...

Without going into any detail at all, I feel like I'm being scammed, mainly because the parties have dropped all communication, plus were verbally abusive and somewhat shady even before I got stiffed. I don't think this was an innocent mistake and I'm the meanie-head for posting a pic of the check. What sucks is that the amount I'm out was almost the exact amount I set aside for my daughter's college tuition this semester. So, yeah, that sucks, especially considering that I'm typically very cautious about this type of stuff.

So once again, I apologize, I've just never been in this situation before and it shocked me. I know grown men whose life savings is less than what I am out at this point and was just incredibly disappointed in society at the time, not just that somebody who I'm trying to help would seemingly knowingly and blatantly write a large check that they apparently have no hope of passing when it tries to clear, but also the seeming lack of help that I'm getting in trying to pursue this on my own without resorting to official legal action.

Point is, multiple lessons were learned I suppose. Or something. Carry on.

• Like 2

I wouldn't apologize to anyone for doing it. That's the problem today, everyone wants to be so PC. I could give a crap less and could care even less what someone thinks of me. Especially if they aren't paying my bills.And posting the check, I'd do it also, and make it my profile picture just to be an A-HOLE. And then some "friends' would pay a visit to the scammer.

Look how a member on here tried smearing my name saying I was garbage and threatened to sue me over not being able to contact me.Not one admin locked that thread or said don't say that.Only reason it did get locked was because I saw it, commented and went back at that person because I came back to the site.My issue was me breaking 4 vertebrae in my back, I said my piece, don't care who likes it or not, and wouldn't care if it got me booted off this site due to it, but I will not and would not "play nice" if someone screwed me like you got screwed. Especially if it was a member on this site.Guaranteed the white trash in me would be at their door with at least a baseball bat.If not I'd Have the FBI get involved.

My opinion is don't ever say sorry to anyone that isn't in your shoes,especially when they aren't helping you out financially. You've earned the right to sound off on someone.Especially when you're a business man and run the business based on this site for some members. Not one of us on here pays your bills or feeds you, so again I'd say no reason to apologize.

Im confused, you can PM me the short of it if you want to get it off your chest.

Basically what happened is that a guy bought a couple of trailers from me, one for him and one for his dad. He gave a card for a deposit and was supposed to be sending his parents down with cash for the rest. There seemed to be lots of miscommunication on the buyers part because suddenly I've got two older, ticked off, and confused parents on my hands who don't have cash nor straps to secure them. They tried to go to a bank to get the rest but it wasn't their bank and they could only use the ATM, and came up with $1,200. Rather than send them home, I let them write a check for the rest, they said they'd just cover it for now and get their son to pay them back. At this point this circus of a transaction really isn't that far out of the norm, some people just can't follow instructions so I try to help them out rather than be a butthole. A competitor of mine who happened to be around even drove to a different city to buy them straps.

So, lo and behold, that check bounced. Here's the thing though. The original buyer is unresponsive, the girl who runs their family trucking business and was going to talk to these people is now unresponsive, there's no way the parents don't know about this and they haven't contacted me, the business that one of the trailers is made out to on the paperwork angrily denies they even know any of these people even though the corporate officers listed online says differently plus it's their address on the title which they didn't seem to care about, there is no phone number for the older people and their bank won't give it to me, I can't report them as stolen at this point since technically they wrote a check, which means I can't block them at the DMV from registering them. I tried to run the original card he gave me just to find out it was a prepaid debit card and only had a small amount left on it.

So basically there's two trailers of mine out there and I don't know where they're at or anything. I don't know if they are being used at this business, or they were sold to an unsuspecting buyer, or what. In the meantime I'm out $2,650 and I don't know if that is permanent or not. On Friday I got this "I'll make them famous" attitude due to the noncooperation and temporarily posted a picture of the check until an admin saw it.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you have not already done so I would suggest you contact the district attorney for your particular area.  Follow whatever instructions they give you to provide proper notification to the party (parties), i.e. certified letter, with ten day notice, etc.  

Most times, if it is a misdemeanor crime there is some hesitancy on the part of law enforcement to issue out of state warrants.  However, in the case of a felony they will almost always issue a warrant and forward the warrant to the appropriate jurisdiction in the other state.  Additionally, most jurisdictions will act very quickly on an out of state warrant.  They don't want to appear "slacking".

Hope the wording isn't confusing on these suggestions.

Edited by dtel's wife

I hope things work out and try not to become bitter and not trust people in general over this incident. Good luck Metro. :)

I hope Metro gets his money back, but I think the lesson is when you are in business or selling something you can't afford to count as a loss you must protect yourself prior to going into the deal.

It's a shame some people plan to cheat or be dishonest from the start.  I hope things work out and try not to become bitter and not trust people in general over this incident.  Good luck Metro. :)

Its really not a shame about the bums, this is just what they do and their way of life.  What is a shame are the honest people trying to do business that get run through the ringer because of the bums that have burned said individual in the past that now has to be paranoid about the "unrecognizable" bums out to get them.

when you are in business or selling something you can't afford to count as a loss you must protect yourself prior to going into the deal.

What sucks is that when you open up shop, you have to take a certain amount of risk by default. Typically I am careful about this stuff and if anything seems shady I will refuse the transaction. I've done that multiple times this year alone. I guess I'm going to have to up the ante and be even more guarded.

As for being able to afford it, I'll be fine, but that don't mean it doesn't hurt. Seems like when you own a small business, everybody's got their hand out. Between insurance, taxes, and having to prepay for a bunch of stuff, I've ripped through $35,000 cash in the past 4 months. Yeah it kinda hurts when people do stuff like this on top of everything else.

• Moderators

when you are in business or selling something you can't afford to count as a loss you must protect yourself prior to going into the deal.

Yeah it kinda hurts when people do stuff like this on top of everything else.

That's the kicker!  You try to help people out and balance it all with protecting yourself and making the sale.  It's something we have experienced also.  Seems like the ones you try to help out are the very ones that burn you.  Through the years we have learned to not be bitter about it, but to be more selective in "how" we help others out.  I won't lie, the "bums" still sneak in, but they are far and few between.

That really sucks! Have you thought of taking them to small claims court? I believe you can sue up to $5000 and it only costs about $100 to file. A friend of mine has had to do this a few times to get paid and it seems to work. He always sues for the max amount and before the hearing they get a chance to settle, which they usually do.