French Fries, aka something to go with Ketchup

BigStewMan

So, i just went to this fast food joint called Carl’s Jr.  Hardee’s to you mid-west folk.  I think they may be tied for the worst french fries in the industry...tied with Jack in the Box.

I prefer french fries from the Del Taco...nice & thick, like pinkie finger size. When dining in for a casual meal, i’ll get the steak fries if they’re on the menu.

Since i hope to travel the country...i’d like to know where to stop for some really good french fries.

Steve

So, i just went to this fast food joint called Carl’s Jr.  Hardee’s to you mid-west folk.  I think they may be tied for the worst french fries in the industry...tied with Jack in the Box.

I prefer french fries from the Del Taco...nice & thick, like pinkie finger size. When dining in for a casual meal, i’ll get the steak fries if they’re on the menu.

Since i hope to travel the country...i’d like to know where to stop for some really good french fries.

Steve

I'd avoid any place that has a mascot in the form of a Clown or some joker dressed up as a King. You might also want to avoid places with a history of killing some of their customers and requiring life-long dialysis for others. Death in the Box comes to mind, they also have some simpleton named Jack for a mascot. You'd be safer eating the tennis ball likeness of him they sell and jamming one of their burgers onto your car's antenna.

Steve

I'd avoid any place that has a mascot in the form of a Clown or some joker dressed up as a King. You might also want to avoid places with a history of killing some of their customers and requiring life-long dialysis for others. Death in the Box comes to mind, they also have some simpleton named Jack for a mascot. You'd be safer eating the tennis ball likeness of him they sell and jamming one of their burgers onto your car's antenna.

so you recommend the place then?   :)

my brother claims that a jack-in-the-box taco is the single worst food item on any fast food menu.

Five Guys has awesome fries. There are stacks of 50 lb sacks of potatoes as you walk in, on the chalkboard is tells you what farm, usually in Idaho, they were purchased from.

there is a five guys in huntington beach.  went there once a long while back...don’t recall the fries. may have to pay them another visit.

by the way Travis, heading to lunch today and flipped on the radio and guess who i heard for the first time (on the radio)?  Good Ole Captain Beefheart.  Of course it was Sirius XM and not a standard FM station.

My two year old loves Ketchup with everything. After a sitting with him dipping his chicken and orange or apples slices (he's not picky) in ketchup, it becomes far less appealing. After his hands are caked in semi-dried ketchup the smell filled kitchen reminds you that large quantities of ketchup actually smells really bad. Than after he has had his bath and in his PJ's ready for bed the smell is somehow still floating all around him. Once the wrestling is done and he is finally down and asleep you realize again this stuff doesn't go away. Then you shower, climb in bed and wake up still smelling ketchup. 

• Like 1

I use a system pretty close to this one.  However, I also salt the water to about the amount in seawater.  No more salt is needed when they are fried...it's cooked right in and just right. 

I found this method several years ago on a site I can't find anymore...but I had it down pretty well already.  If you get it just right fries down this way come out crisp and stay that way until they are stone cold. 

They don't have to be McDonald's thin either.  I go up to half inch or so.

Dave

• Like 1

If you like them thick, I guess you wouldn't like Steak & Shake fries.  (though they're good in my opinion)

If you ever get to the Knoxville area, there is a place here 'Buddy's BBQ' that serves local bbq.  In my mind, they have the best local fries.  Though I always ask for them to be extra crispy (as I do at 5-guys), they fry them in peanut oil.

• Moderators

Five Guys has awesome fries. There are stacks of 50 lb sacks of potatoes as you walk in, on the chalkboard is tells you what farm, usually in Idaho, they were purchased from.

there is a five guys in huntington beach. went there once a long while back...don’t recall the fries. may have to pay them another visit.

by the way Travis, heading to lunch today and flipped on the radio and guess who i heard for the first time (on the radio)? Good Ole Captain Beefheart. Of course it was Sirius XM and not a standard FM station.

Deep Tracks? Which song? Something off Safe As Milk?

• Like 1

there is a five guys in huntington beach. went there once a long while back...don’t recall the fries. may have to pay them another visit.

by the way Travis, heading to lunch today and flipped on the radio and guess who i heard for the first time (on the radio)? Good Ole Captain Beefheart. Of course it was Sirius XM and not a standard FM station.

Deep Tracks? Which song? Something off Safe As Milk?

actually yes on both points...Deep Tracks/Safe as Milk/Plastic Factory.   I’m new to Sirius radio, so not sure how often they’ll play him.  I like the Deep Tracks channel.