Is There a Solution to Flint?

Jim Naseum

i read this morning that there are about a half-dozen other cities in Michigan where the water is now suspect...clear to Muskegon which is on the western shore.  Governor said replacing the water lines is NOT imminent.  Unsat i say (must not be an election year for him).

Maybe the UN needs to step in, or Sweden, or Germany? One of the richer countries who do humanitarian work.

The Unions could have helped.  They have spent millions and millions and millions in advertising trying to get GM to keep jobs around in the area.  Almost the entire population of Flint today showed this number of sheer GM employees from the 70's.   Its an arm pit now thanks to corruption and all the bad leaders that is associated with damn near everything north of southern Illinois.

One of the stories I heard from people up there was that GM went to Flint's city council and ask for tax reductions and the council said flat-out "No" and stuck by it.

It was then Buick said they were pulling out.

The city has been rode hard and put the bed wet, so to speak. 

With a population of currently under 100K and they almost had that many people working for one Corporate giant 40 odd years ago is just the writing on the wall. The city was built on the GM business and will fail on the restructuring of it.  I'm guessing the majority of the smaller businesses there were derivatives or bottom feeders of GM and they will be falling short if most have not already.   Flint is the #3 most miserable city in the US and this is not because of the latest flash from the water crisis. Oh, Detroit is #1.  

Im wondering what percentage of citizens and businesses are paying taxes in Flint?

You would have thought engineers would have known what would happen when the water source was changed to such hard water, and apparently someone else did too since the regional EPA leader was handed a shoebox.  No reason in blaming and pointing fingers at this point, just come up with a remedy.

Edited by Max2

No reason in blaming and pointing fingers at this point, just come up with a remedy.

I can't agree on that. Put a dozen people in prison for conspiracy and at least you might save the next town from being poisoned. We can't always say, "no need to find blame." I think this is a crime, and ought to be prosecuted.

As for the people, you'd think there would be a mass exodus. I realize many are poor, but you would imagine that anything or any place is better than staying. 

Solution?  No.  Short of replacing all of the corrosive, leaching pipes, only temporary band-aids can be applied.  The state of Michigan and the Federal Government need to divert funds from other BS, non life threatening projects.  Water supply problems like this will only continue to grow, unfortunately.  Think our water bills are high now?.....just wait.

i read this morning that there are about a half-dozen other cities in Michigan where the water is now suspect...clear to Muskegon which is on the western shore.  Governor said replacing the water lines is NOT imminent.  Unsat i say (must not be an election year for him).

The Flint debacle is horrid.

I'm in Muskegon and haven't heard of any issues locally with lead in the water, but…….  Our water is sourced from Lake Michigan with the local filtration plant serving about 100K households.  Grand Rapids (Michigan's 2nd largest city 40 miles East of here) draws separately from Lake Michigan as well.  Any lead in these 2 systems would most likely be coming from the pipes - not the source.  We get 1/4-ly water reports showing everything including particulate.

Failing infrastructure issues are everywhere - roads, bridges, water lines, sewer lines, steam lines (NYC), rails, power lines, etc.

We were great at building out all of these systems, but equally blind to the necessary maintenance, & allocating for their replacement.

The bill(s) will be astronomical.

Edited by Arrow#422

Any lead in these 2 systems would most likely be coming from the pipes - not the source.
i think the article was referring to the pipes as the article headline was talking about the governor saying no new pipes are imminent.  Muskegon? Been there as i lived four years in Grand Haven. 

No reason in blaming and pointing fingers at this point, just come up with a remedy.

I can't agree on that. Put a dozen people in prison for conspiracy and at least you might save the next town from being poisoned. We can't always say, "no need to find blame." I think this is a crime, and ought to be prosecuted.

As for the people, you'd think there would be a mass exodus. I realize many are poor, but you would imagine that anything or any place is better than staying. 

I would have to agree with you on this, but in various parts of this whole region of the country, the thinking is different. There are fewer leaders that express accountability and just want to point fingers and play the blame game that is a common problem with fundamentals of said leadership and the way things get done.  Lets just say they put their 6-8 hours in and call it a day, all the while pondering the minutes until they can call it a day.  It all starts with qualifying people that are unqualifialble, yet we sure don't want to call anyone out in fear of some stupid legal issue.  

We are a decade away from seeing really, really big financial and social problems in the US, not just from our leaders, but the filth that continues to bread and keep us on track in the direction we are going.  And lets be real here, we all know where the same path leads us, because here we are. Radicals scare me, but Im am concerned that it is what it will take, which is a forcible foot in the azz of society to wake up the people and its leaders to determine what this country needs.  

We were great at building out all of these systems, but equally blind to the necessary maintenance, & allocating for their replacement. The bill(s) will be astronomical.

There is no money for deferred maintenance. It's been a slow burning crime for over 75 years. Everyone took the attitude that whatever was built will last forever.  

We were great at building out all of these systems, but equally blind to the necessary maintenance, & allocating for their replacement. The bill(s) will be astronomical.

There is no money for deferred maintenance. It's been a slow burning crime for over 75 years. Everyone took the attitude that whatever was built will last forever.  

Okay, what is the solution?

I think the solution for myself is to set up a home office somewhere in Ireland. That way I can save a lot of money on my tax bill while I mooch off everyone/everything this country has to offer without contributing anything, or very little anyway.

Keith