What audio stand/racks do you use?

boricua2480

After looking to beef up my receiver and amp, I'm wondering what audio stands do you guys use that are good looking, not too expensive, and can hold up to a 100 lb amp, a 50+ lb receiver, blu-ray player, directv receiver, etc? Thanks

Edited by boricua2480

I use SnapAV's Strong rack. Sanus is very similar and pretty popular. 27U is the most popular size and can support like 750 pounds. They can handle more if it were a permanent installation and not on wheels.

100 pounds on a single shelf is kind of pushing it though. The shelves like even a Strong 4U can't handle that. If you could find a solution that attached the front rails to the back rails it would probably be fine. If you're just attaching to the front like most shelves do, it torques the rails too much.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

This is harder than I thought. I just need a decent looking rack or stand for my future equipment and either they don't hold enough weight, aren't good for the dimensions of the equipment, or they're way too expensive. I'll have to stop by my local audio shop here and see what they use.

I had this same exact issue not long ago.

Funny thing is I had a TV stand made for a tube TV with a glass door & shelves on one side for components.  I couldn't give this thing away and it was HEAVY.   I soon grew tired of looking for an inexpensive audio rack and got out the circular saw & proceeded to make a mess in my garage.  I cut the damned TV portion completely off from the rack side.  I took the end board from the TV side and doubled up the rack side end board and even transferred the trim pieces top & bottom and voila, 5 shelf, glass door, audio rack with plenty of beef to hold 100# + amps.  

OK - the top has a visible seam, but it works great, it's cheap, & very trustworthy of holding any weighted items I put in there.

Edited by Arrow#422

I have a strong rack for my HT. it holds my components, extends out of the cabinet and rotates for easy connections/swap outs. I notice no racking, but I'm running an Anthem AVR and Oppo-neither is very heavy.

image.jpg2_zpsglufiysd.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsids8leda.jpg

Edited by ryanm84

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a Studiotech for about 16-years now. They tell me they can handle "several hundred pounds" and I have a 95lb.+ amp on the bottom shelf. Totalling about 250-275 lbs. with everything in/on it. I did have to modify the back to take the deeper Mac amp.

Though it's discontinued (the U48) and back then they were reasonably priced ($1,100?) But now they've skyrocketed.

http://www.studiotech.com/

post-3464-0-88860000-1460499367_thumb.jp

Edited by Mighty Favog

• Moderators

I had this same exact issue not long ago.   Funny thing is I had a TV stand made for a tube TV with a glass door & shelves on one side for components.  I couldn't give this thing away and it was HEAVY.   I soon grew tired of looking for an inexpensive audio rack and got out the circular saw & proceeded to make a mess in my garage.  I cut the damned TV portion completely off from the rack side.  I took the end board from the TV side and doubled up the rack side end board and even transferred the trim pieces top & bottom and voila, 5 shelf, glass door, audio rack with plenty of beef to hold 100# + amps.  

I did the same thing, old cabinet cut down and changed instead of looking for a new one.

post-9700-0-29620000-1460594751_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-65060000-1460594822_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 3

Mine is in this Blog, built by our very own Mr Keady  :)

20151214_131009.jpg

20151214_131225.jpg

20151214_131022.jpg

That shelf truly looks great. Beefy and substantial and great gear besides. Unfortunately, your pics when clicked on to get a better look, do not enlarge much.

Open the blog. You can enlarge them here.

http://magnequest.blogspot.com/2016/01/nos-valves-vrd-amplifier-with.html