Car you will own, may own, never own

mustang guy

The Yugo station wagon the Wego was not any better.

And now those who designed that quality vehicle owns Dodge and Chrysler.

--- and I believe Ferrari also --?

Yes and Maserati.

Yugo also made convertibles believe it or not. 

They sure did.  I was at a working at a dealership at the time when they came to the US and our owner thought it would be a great idea to offer a brand new car for $3995.  We had the first franchise in the area.  The stories I could tell.  Our owner did however unload the franchise about a year or two before Yugo America went belly up.

A friend of mine goes through dream cars like crazy.  Just in the past several months it's been a Lotus, Jaguar F-type, Hellcat, two lifted jeeps, majorly lifted Dodge diesel, a tuned / dyno'ed Scion FRS, Toyota 4-runner FRD pro, lifted Mercedes sprinter, electric motorcycle, two dual-sport motorcycles, Xterra, Subaru something, I forget what else.  

A Yugo that actually runs and has unbroken window cranks or door handles.  I know, I'm dreaming.

yugo-7.jpg

Make sure it has working window defrosters, that way if it breaks down in the winter you have hand warms to push it ( I know you live in Texas so this may not be as important).

I believe the Leatherman was designed based off of Tim Leatherman's Yugo always breaking down and he always need tools to fix it, but turns out it was Fiat.

• Like 1

They sure did.  I was at a working at a dealership at the time when they came to the US and our owner thought it would be a great idea to offer a brand new car for $3995.  We had the first franchise in the area.  The stories I could tell.  Our owner did however unload the franchise about a year or two before Yugo America went belly up.

They were no worse than the Chevy Chevette but got a bad reputation quickly.

I went to the Chicago auto show the year they came out and already they had people handing out pamphlets telling people how unsafe and unreliable they were.

Funny how some vehicles come and go, start with a crap product and are soon gone or start with a crap product, Hyundai, stay the course and now build some competitive products. My BiL worked at a Hyundai dealership when they were first introduced and he told nothing but horror stories on their initial build quality. Looks like they got it figured out unlike our Yugo friends.

• Like 2

Now if I won the lottery I would buy a new British green metallic Corvette with the big engine and next would be a red metallic Jeep Grand Cherokee with the hemi. The problem with parking either one is after three months the battery goes dead. Then you have to toe it back to the dealer to get things working again. Buy that time all the money would be spent.

JJK

Will own: Lotus Exige- Amazing handling and balance for price point, will be awesome to auto-x the hell out of it.

May Own: BMW E30 M30- Special car to me as my Dad had one when I was a teen and I used to rip up the back roads for hours in it. Unfortunately he sold it for $13,000 a year before the market blew up and its worth over $70,000 now which is crazy. :o

Want but will Never Own: 2017 Viper ACR. Brute analog force that commands respect at every moment. Would love this for track days but I dont think I could trust myself to drive it on public roads regularly.

If you like the Exige, you should consider lusting after the Hennessey Venom GT. It's built on that chassis. 270 MPH Yikes!

I have had a an E36 and an E46. The E30's are hard to find for decent money, but I can understand why you would want it. You can buy a 2  E46 convertibles for that and still have money left over for a trip to Europe for your family.   :)

The E36 is a great platform as well and relatively easy to work on and tune (Supercharger...) Its absolutely ridiculous how the market blew up for those the way it did for the E30. I honestly dont have much love for the Hennessey and dont consider it a production car, besides there are boosted 'Vettes that can smoke it and that much HP is unusable anyway. Hennessey has been known for some pretty shady business practices of late as well.  Now the Koenigsegg One:1 is a different beast altogether and Christian Koenigsegg is a mad genius of our time. All in all though, the pinnacle of balance and performance in my book goes to the Zonda R.

That being said, this video Chris Harris put together makes a pretty strong case for the old Ferrari F40 and F50:

Funny how some vehicles come and go, start with a crap product and are soon gone or start with a crap product, Hyundai, stay the course and now build some competitive products. My BiL worked at a Hyundai dealership when they were first introduced and he told nothing but horror stories on their initial build quality. Looks like they got it figured out unlike our Yugo friends.

No argument that they're light years ahead of Yugo.  Hyundai isn't real keen on doing major engine repair under warranty though.  That's been my experience only, YMMV.

I hope our Chinese "friends" follow the Hyundai mode. So far from what I've seen they don't quite get it. I hear tales that in some products they're catching on.

I lived/grew up in Detroit when Yugos first appeared. The ones that did run got mysteriously damaged quite often.

The Genesis is a monster car!!!! I just love it!!!! I got my 2011 in '12 and only paid $28k for it!!!! 

This is gone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_181

and looks like some for sale

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=15