college FB 16/ NFL PLAYOFFS 2017

wvu80

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The AP has undefeated Western Michigan at 14th.  Does anybody really think WMU could beat 15th ranked Florida State?  Or 16th ranked Auburn?

Yes they could.  If they played ten times, WMU might win 2 of 10, or better.  They beat Northwestern and Illinois this year.  Anything is possible.   Ask Michigan about Appalachian State.

For example, ubeaten Alabama beat Chattanooga 31 - 10.  Look at Chattanooga's schedule.  Do you really think Western Michigan couldn't have done as well, or better against a team that lost to Wofford and The Citadel?  I'm not suggesting that Western Michigan would beat Alabama, but I am suggesting that the games are played on the field, not on paper or on a computer.

For another example,  Michigan State is unranked, and deservedly so.  MSU gave #2 Ohio State and #3 Michigan all they wanted.  MSU could beat many of the ranked teams; they could also lose to them, as they did against Illinois, which lost to Western Michigan. 

IMO, WMU deserves its ranking.

CHATTANOOGA'S

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
ALL

HOME

AWAY

NEUTRAL
CLICK TO FILTER

CURRENT RECORD
OVERALL
PCT
CONF
PCT
STREAK
HOME
AWAY
NEUTRAL

8-3
6-2
L2
5-1
3-2
0-0
Shorter

7:00 P.M.

Presbyterian

2:00 P.M.

Furman

SOCON

GREENVILLE, S.C.
TV: ESPN3/CW

NOTES

QUOTES

PHOTOS
Samford

SOCON

W 41-21
BOX SCORE
ETSU

12:00 P.M.
SOCON

JOHNSON CITY, TENN.
Mercer

4:00 P.M.
SOCON

HOMECOMING
The Citadel

3:00 P.M.
SOCON

CHARLESTON, S.C.
TV: FOX SPORTS SOUTHEAST

NOTES

QUOTES

PHOTOS
VMI

SOCON

VMI
HAMILTON COUNTY EDUCATION DAY
Western Carolina

3:30 P.M.
SOCON

CULLOWHEE, N.C.
TV: CW CHATTANOOGA (53)

NOTES

QUOTES

PHOTOS
Wofford

SOCON

MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY
Alabama

TUSCALOOSA, ALA.
TV: ESPN2

NOTES

QUOTES

PHOTOS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

IMO, WMU deserves their ranking.

Fair enough, I think you argued persuasively on their behalf.  They are 14 AP and 18 Coaches.  The new CFP comes out Tues, but last week they were ranked 21.

Where would you place them in the rankings?  Or if you prefer, who do you think they would beat that is currently ranked ahead of them?

Charlie Strong was just fired today at Texas, 3 years into his 5 year contract.  Every time I heard him talk, I liked him.  I hope he finds another coaching job soon.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18099176/texas-longhorns-decides-fire-charlie-strong-football-coach

I am so against firing college coaches during the regular season.  If it's the pros, we all understand it's a business.  But c'mon, it's college.

Edit:  The Texas AD put out a Tweet that they will "evaluate the body of work at the end of the season."  That is a really lousy flimsy response to the reports that Strong has been fired.

• Like 2

Dave,

I'm not trying to be evasive, but WMU could beat any of the teams in the rankings, which is not the same as saying they would beat any specific team.  Houston beat Louisville, but lost to Navy.  Could WMU beat any of those teams? Sure they could, but would they?  Guessing is a waste of time.  That's why the CFP needs to expand to 8 teams.

If Western remains undefeated, by beating Toledo on Saturday and then winning the MAC Championship, probably over Ohio University, I pity the school that plays them in a bowl game.  For a school like Auburn to play a MAC school is a no win situation, whereas the MAC school has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

I'm not trying to be evasive, but WMU could beat any of the teams in the rankings

You always present your arguments thoughtfully, and I appreciate the point you are trying to make, which is the teams need to fight it out on the field.

I thought sure you were going to say they could take out WVU.  :P

WVU is a better team than we saw Saturday.  I believe the Mountaineers and Broncos are relatively evenly matched.  

There is no path for even an undefeated WMU to displace 1-loss or 2-loss "power conference" teams in the CFP.  Nonetheless, it would not surprise me if it becomes clear they should have done so.  Expanding the CFP to 8 teams would help.

6 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Texas decision makes may have decided to fire Coach Strong but that has not happened yet. Gonna be tough for them to hire a top tier coach down in the "cesspool" as Herbstreet put it. 

Maybe they are waiting for the Browns to fire more coaches.

JJK

WMU remains undefeated.  

Jim Harbaugh continues to pretend Wilton Speight might play on Saturday.  I don't blame him.  Why make it any easier for the Buckeyes to prepare?  If O'Korn doesn't play better than he did against Indiana, the horseshoe will hold no luck for the Wolverines.

On 11/21/2016 at 3:28 PM, JL Sargent said:

Texas decision makes may have decided to fire Coach Strong but that has not happened yet. Gonna be tough for them to hire a top tier coach down in the "cesspool" as Herbstreet put it. 

I heard a rumor that Notre Dame is looking at him....Brian Kelley has to go.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, JL Sargent said:

You'd be surprised what people will do for money.