Forte III

oldred

8 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

I will MAKE him attend!!  

and be the karaoke DJ? Come on man, he needs some jesting and joshing from us; just no forewarning! 

I got my daisy dukes ironed for travel.

• Like 1

This is really neat news!  Are the Forte's going to be on display in salesrooms around the country?  These and all the other big (and expensive) speakers need to be heard in order to sell.  The younger people need to hear them.  Those that were around when Klipschorns and the like could be auditioned at the local audio store know what they sound like but most/many probably already own them.  The next generations needs to experience these in person -- this is where most future purchases will come from.

I like that they are being paired with a tube amp!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMON said:

This is really neat news!  Are the Forte's going to be on display in salesrooms around the country?  These and all the other big (and expensive) speakers need to be heard in order to sell.  The younger people need to hear them.  Those that were around when Klipschorns and the like could be auditioned at the local audio store know what they sound like but most/many probably already own them.  The next generations needs to experience these in person -- this is where most future purchases will come from.

I like that they are being paired with a tube amp!

Most of my friends have heard me talk up my Klipsch setup once or twice. We're all into video games and music and it's a bit of a shame that so many people have no idea what they're not hearing in content they enjoy. A high energy game like Star Fox Zero or Mario Kart is a fundamentally different experience on a great sound system than through TV speakers or a sound bar. I call it seriously enriching, I would never go back to listening to music or playing games on anything less. People my age are used to hearing music through TV speakers, phone speakers, laptop speakers, bluetooth speakers, cheap headphones, 'designer' headphones, car radios, et cetera.

I'm looking forward to hearing impressions of the Forte III through CES and especially once they start selling. That mid-horn just looks like good sound.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, dtel said:

Well alot of people said a forte lll would be something they would be interested in

So, yes. EVERYONE PLEASE BUY THESE WHEN THEY COME OUT.

I have a puppy to feed.

• Like 8

On 1/5/2017 at 9:36 AM, jjptkd said:

Wow, this is incredible! My heart fluttered a little when I first read this. I wonder which mid horn they will use?  Hopefully not the same 701 as in the new Cornwall & Heresy as that would be taking a step back from the forte II. Exciting times we live in!

I have a couple of concerns about this update.

1. Klipsch did not do well in engineering the treble horns and crossovers in the Cornwall III, in my opinion.  Instead of keeping an adequately large 600 Hz mid-range horn, with its larger mid-range dispersion and quality, sound, it basically transplanted the Heresy 700 Hz horn and 800 Hz crossover point, and put the Heresy's undersized treble into a very expensive, very large, almost oversized and rather plain-looking speaker.  In my opinion, the C/W III has a very small. undersized sound quality for its size and cost.  I don't see a horn crossover point and size, but am concerned that they'll try do do it on the cheap like they did with the C/W III by just carrying over the Heresy top end. 
  2. The pictures barely show it, but the distinctive Klipsch look of the old Forte, with that nice standout lower segment, is missing and almost hidden in the pics.  In the pics, one sees another big, plain box.  PWK had a genius for distinctive cabinet design as will as the sound quality.  That has been missing since his passing, IMO.

It seems like there was too much focus on frequency response as being the dominant measure of sound quality in the new Corns.  I hope this doesn't carry over to the new Forte!

29 minutes ago, LarryC said:

1. Klipsch did not do well in engineering the treble horns and crossovers in the Cornwall III, in my opinion.  Instead of keeping an adequately large 600 Hz mid-range horn, with its larger mid-range dispersion and quality, sound, it basically transplanted the Heresy 700 Hz horn and 800 Hz crossover point, and put the Heresy's undersized treble into a very expensive, very large, almost oversized and rather plain-looking speaker.  In my opinion, the C/W III has a very small. undersized sound quality for its size and cost.  I don't see a horn crossover point and size, but am concerned that they'll try do do it on the cheap like they did with the C/W III by just carrying over the Heresy top end. 
  2. The pictures barely show it, but the distinctive Klipsch look of the old Forte, with that nice standout lower segment, is missing and almost hidden in the pics.  In the pics, one sees another big, plain box.  PWK had a genius for distinctive cabinet design as will as the sound quality.  That has been missing since his passing, IMO.

It seems like there was too much focus on frequency response as being the dominant measure of sound quality in the new Corns.  I hope this doesn't carry over to the new Forte!

This was my concern as well but the new pictures posted show a very nice completely new mid horn that looks promising. If I had to guess I'd bet this new forte III will blow the doors off of the Cornwall III by a large margin.

• Klipsch Employees
23 minutes ago, LarryC said:

you have your opinion....i have data and my ears.  i have different goals in deciding where to crossover drivers starting with my very early days of tractrix and talking to paul.  going from a 600 hz horn to 700 hz doesnt guarantee a lower crossover point.  so this argument of oh i miss the larger 600 hz is bogus,  for my data and my ears tell me something different.  but you know what...to each his own.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chief bonehead said:

you have your opinion....i have data and my ears.  i have different goals in deciding where to crossover drivers starting with my very early days of tractrix and talking to paul.  going from a 600 hz horn to 700 hz doesnt guarantee a lower crossover point.  so this argument of oh i miss the larger 600 hz is bogus,  for my data and my ears tell me something different.  but you know what...to each his own.

This may be true but in the audio world it would seem seeing is believing and I can't imagine anyone seeing a pair of forte III's next to the Cornwall III's with their wimpy little 701 horn is going to believe that it sounds just as good. People already know and have known for years that the forte II k-61 mid horn sounds better than the original forte 701 horn so why would that not transfer over to the new Cornwall III? Am I missing something?

12 hours ago, USNRET said:

and be the karaoke DJ? Come on man, he needs some jesting and joshing from us; just no forewarning! 

I got my daisy dukes ironed for travel.

Whoaa -- you in Daisy Dukes - on an Arkansas farm - in the middle of nowhere - -- I can hear banjos playin' from here !!?

I'll be in attendance for this only - the rest is cake. 

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
11 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

This may be true but in the audio world it would seem seeing is believing and I can't imagine anyone seeing a pair of forte III's next to the Cornwall III's with their wimpy little 701 horn is going to believe that it sounds just as good. People already know and have known for years that the forte II k-61 mid horn sounds better than the original forte 701 horn so why would that not transfer over to the new Cornwall III? Am I missing something?

obviously

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

obviously

So you're saying "Tractrix" means nothing and that's why Klipsch has all but moved their entire line up in that direction? I'm not the one that needs convincing but I'm fairly certain the forte III will be the final nail in the coffin for the Cornwall III unless some serious changes are made, maybe its time for a Cornwall IV?

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So you're saying "Tractrix" means nothing and that's why Klipsch has all but moved their entire line up in that direction? I'm not the one that needs convincing but I'm fairly certain the forte III will be the final nail in the coffin for the Cornwall III unless some serious changes are made, maybe its time for a Cornwall IV?

Have you heard the Cornwall III?

On 1/5/2017 at 10:15 AM, richieb said:

With this quote from Chief Bonehead I'm a bit surprised the "lll" didn't follow the 396 and for that matter the re-designed KHorn (Jubilee) as a 2-way design. Although with obvious intention to follow past design criteria a new Forte would "need" to be 3-way much like the CWlll. The 2017 Pilgrammage might well be an eye opener. 

Ya, I'm surprised and even disappointed it's not a 2-way. If there's a fancy custom phase plug, then maybe there's an aftermarket mod to drop that tweeter and make it 2-way.

Yep, already talking about changing it and it's not even shipping yet :)

I would seriously buy a pair though if the 2-way was as simple as disconnecting the tweeter and adding a little processing to that "MF" unit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrWho said:

Ya, I'm surprised and even disappointed it's not a 2-way. If there's a fancy custom phase plug, then maybe there's an aftermarket mod to drop that tweeter and make it 2-way.

Yep, already talking about changing it and it's not even shipping yet :)

Boo :)

I just noticed they did make a 2-way called "The Fifteens" - now that's way super cool. Any discussion about their pricing? Interesting that the Forte got the mumps but not the fifteens?

$3,000 for the fifteens. Roy wasn't involved in those...so maybe that has something to do with the lack of mumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk